Wow, so that was a lot of dead pixels

CreamySoupUSA

I suck butt hole.
Seriously, my PSP had like 10 white pixles near the bottom, scattered about. I'm just glad my Gamestop had one more PSP so I could exchange it!

Thats scary, I wonder how many other people are going to have this problem. I remember when the PSP was first released in Japan people were saying how fantastic the screens were... maybe Sony is using different LCDs now? Lower quality ones purhaps?

Only 2 Dead Pixels on mine and for me, I can't even see them when playing a game. The only time I can see them is at the Main Menu screen and I still have to squint to see them.

the fact that sony won't replace for a couple dead pixels is ridiculous. Consumers shouldn't have to worry about that crap when they fork over $250+ for a system like this. I'll hold off getting a PSP if this is even a common problem.

Yeah that is pretty sad.. it costs as much as a 17inch lcd alone.. you get way less screen and far more dead pixels

|MaguS| said:
Only 2 Dead Pixels on mine and for me, I can't even see them when playing a game. The only time I can see them is at the Main Menu screen and I still have to squint to see them.

Hah. You paid $250 for something with KNOWN manufacuring flaws.

I find it sad and humorous at the same time that people are lining up with cash in had to buy a console that has a known flaw that will not be fixed for them unless it's REALLY bad, not just annoying, but near unplayable.

It's very sad when consumers allow companies to release products that are built like shit. When you buy a PSP is sounds like it's almost a given that you're going to have dead pixels, you just have to hope it doesn't have enough to distract you from playing.

This is why I refuse to currently buy any LCD monitors. If I get one with dead pixels, it's just too bad, because the companies don't want to go through quality control and refine their manufacuring process.

If I were going to shell out $250 +tax on something, I wouldn't buy it if i knew it was going to be at least partly defective.

/rant

Well if enough people complain, Sony may change their tune. Lets hope that dead pixels arent common place though, I would hate to fork out that much cash and end up with a bad screen :mad:

S1nF1xx said:
Hah. You paid $250 for something with KNOWN manufacuring flaws.

I find it sad and humorous at the same time that people are lining up with cash in had to buy a console that has a known flaw that will not be fixed for them unless it's REALLY bad, not just annoying, but near unplayable.

It's very sad when consumers allow companies to release products that are built like shit. When you buy a PSP is sounds like it's almost a given that you're going to have dead pixels, you just have to hope it doesn't have enough to distract you from playing.

This is why I refuse to currently buy any LCD monitors. If I get one with dead pixels, it's just too bad, because the companies don't want to go through quality control and refine their manufacuring process.

If I were going to shell out $250 +tax on something, I wouldn't buy it if i knew it was going to be at least partly defective.

/rant

Dead pixels are a touchy subject, they arent really seen as product defects (im not really sure why but I read an article on this a while back). So they can get away with it, unless of course enough people voice their opinion.

inotocracy said:
Dead pixels are a touchy subject, they arent really seen as product defects (im not really sure why but I read an article on this a while back). So they can get away with it, unless of course enough people voice their opinion.

That's exactly what I'm saying. People put up with that shit and accept it. Consumers need to stop buying crap like this until companies put out fully working products. Why settle for dead pixels? What's next? Cars with known missing/defective bolts?

S1nF1xx said:
That's exactly what I'm saying. People put up with that shit and accept it. Consumers need to stop buying crap like this until companies put out fully working products. Why settle for dead pixels? What's next? Cars with known missing/defective bolts?

I agree, specially when it comes to LCDs. They are so expensive, and then you find out you have 3 dead pixels but cant exchange because it doesnt meet the minimum of 8. I wish I had the article I read on dead pixels and why they are not a manufacterer defect-- it was a good read, can anyone answer this question?

Dead pixels are a lot like eating a candy bar. You can have 3 or 4 insect legs stuck in the product, but once you have 6... that's too much.

Some poor peope have been bitching because they got the shitty quality Samsung screen too, oposed to the better quality Sharp one... I wonder if one is more prone.

|MaguS| said:

Wow. I would be pissed if I had just paid $250 bucks and my NEW unit comes with 2 dead pixels.

Is there anyway to get the sharp screen in one? Like can I order one from somewhere that has the sharp screen?

S1nF1xx said:

You can order lcds from certain companies like monitorsdirect.com and dell.com and I think they both have a 0 dead pixel warranty. If you get a single dead pixel you can send it back...

so why dont you have an lcd? :p

but yeh, If I got a single dead pixel on my psp (not that i've bought one or plan on it) I'd do everything I could to return it

sniper991122 said:
You can order lcds from certain companies like monitorsdirect.com and dell.com and I think they both have a 0 dead pixel warranty. If you get a single dead pixel you can send it back...

but yeh, If I got a single dead pixel on my psp (not that i've bought one or plan on it) I'd do everything I could to return it

Ya true .. Congratz to the guys who got them. If you have any dead pixels I would cause a big stink to retun it.

Portables are not for me tho ... too many hours of gameboy back in the day, gave me gameboy neck ... and now I need a back-e-otimy.

Smiffy said:
Some poor peope have been bitching because they got the shitty quality Samsung screen too, oposed to the better quality Sharp one... I wonder if one is more prone.

When purchasing a PSP, are you able to tell from the packaging what screen it has? If not, then it is a crap shoot and income has nothing to do with it. And if so, wouldn't the purchase price be different?

sniper991122 said:

Because they suck donkey balls compaired to CRT's. :D

I've seen that before, and I respect them for being the first company to pony-up to it. People need to start demanding everyone does this.

Tiny said:
When purchasing a PSP, are you able to tell from the packaging what screen it has? If not, then it is a crap shoot and income has nothing to do with it. And if so, wouldn't the purchase price be different?

I believe it's only the Japanese PSP that has the sharp screen. however I think there are still problems with that one button that got fixed for the U.S. release.

Damned if you do damned if you dont :D

"hmmm, I can either get an inferior LCD with functioning buttons, or a superb LCD with a sticking square button. Choices, choices, choices."

EmptyWallet said:
I believe it's only the Japanese PSP that has the sharp screen. however I think there are still problems with that one button that got fixed for the U.S. release.

well, i guess i will have to get a game that uses the square button heavily and pound the hell out of it and see what happens.

I'm pretty sure it's luck as to which screen you get, here's a list of problems I've seen being reported already:

People in America said:
- UMD motor makes too much noise. (problem by design)
- Dead pixels (Not covered by warranty)
- USB connection not being detected by OS (not covered by warranty)
- Wifi gaming connection problems (not covered by warranty)
- Screen relfects too much under light (problem by design)
- PSP smudges too easily (problem by design)
- UMD drive latch being loose (problem by design)
- Bubbles on screen (defect)
- Dust/white powder under the screen (defect)
- Lower quality screen, samsung used instead of sharp. (Sony decision)
- Broken Analog nub (defect)

inotocracy said:
I think it's because the way LCDs are made will always cause some dead pixels. One reason everything is starting to switch to OLED displays.

I don't know about anyone else, but my psp has zero dead pixels, and the screen is absolutely amazing!

carrot said:

In fact, my boss' psp is fine too, as is my sister's. I was marginally worried when I started hearing all these stories, but after today I'm not too sure about them anymore.

1 dead pixel and 1 bubble, niether of which are notecable durring gaemplay. Ill be keeping mine the way it is. How do you tell what screen you got? Im curious about that one.

Cali3350 said:
1 dead pixel and 1 bubble, niether of which are notecable durring gaemplay. Ill be keeping mine the way it is. How do you tell what screen you got? Im curious about that one.

Hit it directly in the center of the screen with a hammer, if it shatters its the Sharp, if it cracks its the Samsung.

You stole my Name! I use Catgoesmoo on Ravenshield!! Athena Sword :D

CatsGoMoo said:
I don't know about anyone else, but my psp has zero dead pixels, and the screen is absolutely amazing!

mine has 2 dead pixels that are hardly noticable. i still love the system.

my 512mb card came today too! :D

Back