6800GT regulary runs 100 C - is this a problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

charles555

Limp Gawd
I bought this card from someone on the forums and I have no idea. He didn't say anything about it. It's PNY, so I can RMA it right? For poor heatsink contact... :p :rolleyes:

How hot is the rest of your rig?

PNY has a bad habit of asking for a receipt in order to RMA. Ordinarily, though, 100C is alright for video cards. Everyone around here says that the 6800 throttles at 127C in most driver releases.

100C is not OK.
That card will not last if stays at 100C.
My PNY 6800 GT temp will never go above 77C even with it being overclocked to 438/1147 and playing Doom 3 with stock cooling.

Whoa, dude, seriously, if you keep it at 100°C for over a month, you will have a freakin' system meltdown! And the money goes down the drain! Get 70+ CFM fans for your case! Get tha damn heat out of your crap case!

I also got a PNY card from someone here on FSFT about a month ago. As far as I can tell you are SOL if you want an RMA from PNY. They want an original sales receipt and claim the warrenty is void if you bought it from another end user. :mad:

Catboxer said:
I also got a PNY card from someone here on FSFT about a month ago. As far as I can tell you are SOL if you want an RMA from PNY. They want an original sales receipt and claim the warrenty is void if you bought it from another end user. :mad:

do they check if you applied arctic silver 5 on? hehe some companies dont...

Alright, since I don't have a warranty on this POS, I just took off the cooling system, cleaned it, and put everything except the fan back with some AS5 until I get an NV Silencer. Temp is still 95 max in the desktop. I left the fan and heatshield thing off, and let a 35 cfm 80mm fan blow on it from below. This same fan was already blowing on the card from the front, so it doesn't really make a difference. but I think maybe the stock fan and heatshield trap heat.
P3250004.jpg

P3250005.jpg

I'm gonna buy a NEW PNY 6800GT and then use that receipt to RMA this one. Anybody have any other advice?

Thank you for all the CC, by the way.

I am pretty sure that the temp is reading wrong...do you see artifatcs when playing games? but i guess you should return it anyways

aZn_plyR said:
I am pretty sure that the temp is reading wrong...do you see artifatcs when playing games? but i guess you should return it anyways

Well, game play is great... No atrifacts, but the PCB was very warm when I pulled it out.

Dont buy cards off forums from users that dont have alot of credit, dont buy cards off ebay from users that dont have alot of credit, dont take cards apart and think you know what you're doing. Dont pin blame on PNY. They have no right to honor that warranty. Blow the dust out of the card heatsink and get an NV Silencer. Do not attempt to run card without its fan on the card itself, you will destroy it.

Shifra said:
Dont buy cards off forums from users that dont have alot of credit, dont buy cards off ebay from users that dont have alot of credit, dont take cards apart and think you know what you're doing. Dont pin blame on PNY. They have no right to honor that warranty. Blow the dust out of the card heatsink and get an NV Silencer. Do not attempt to run card without its fan on the card itself, you will destroy it.

The blame IS on nVidia and PNY for the release of a buggy temp driver. This card is by no means NEW, and still they have not fixed it.

And FUCK YOU for telling me I don't know what I'm doing. Then in the next sentence he tells me to go out and buy an aftermarket heatsink and take it apart...

charles555 said:
The blame IS on nVidia and PNY for the release of a buggy temp driver. This card is by no means NEW, and still they have not fixed it.

And FUCK YOU for telling me I don't know what I'm doing. Then in the next sentence he tells me to go out and buy an aftermarket heatsink and take it apart...

The level of maturity is astounding. No one forces you to use a bugy driver, you can use any you choose, theres plenty out there. You seemed to of already took it apart so you might as well go the whole way. I said that in regaurds to any future purchases. The fact that you think an 80mm fan blowing on the core would be better cooling shows lack luster knowledge. Basically you just came in here, told everyone the card seems odd and you bought it used, so you want to RMA it but first your going to take it apart and mess with it. It also seems to work fine but the PCB gets kinda hot. Right....please watch your language. Good day.

Shifra said:
The level of maturity is astounding. No one forces you to use a bugy driver, you can use any you choose, theres plenty out there. You seemed to of already took it apart so you might as well go the whole way. I said that in regaurds to any future purchases. The fact that you think an 80mm fan blowing on the core would be better cooling shows lack luster knowledge. Basically you just came in here, told everyone the card seems odd and you bought it used, so you want to RMA it but first your going to take it apart and mess with it. It also seems to work fine but the PCB gets kinda hot. Right....please watch your language. Good day.

The reason why my just purchasing it off the forums tells any non-snob, delusional asshole like yourself, that:

A) I didn't know about the HACKED drivers, which also MAY void the warranty. So I was playing by the rules.

B) it means that I don't have a warranty for it, and there really is no downside to running better thermal compound on a card unless you are going to void the warranty.

No shit I already took it apart... So you're beating a dead horse. And you're thread crapping. And you're being annoying. And you're not helping, you're just sounding like an old Jewish grandmother.

AND THE FAN IS NOT BLOWING ON THE CORE YOU JACKASS FOOL.

if YOU knew anything, You would know that there is a seperate heatsink on the GPU, It's not blowing on the core, you damn FOOL

I have a PNY 6800 NU, and the PCB gets very warm during gaming. I have the core water cooled, and if I don't have the water block seated perfectly, the temp will jump from 45 - 75 idle.

The cooling solutions on the 6800's are junk. You might try an NV silencer. If you feel that the temps are not reading correctly, can you put your finger on the back of the card (under the GPU) without burning your finger after a sec?

swetmore said:
I have a PNY 6800 NU, and the PCB gets very warm during gaming. I have the core water cooled, and if I don't have the water block seated perfectly, the temp will jump from 45 - 75 idle.

The cooling solutions on the 6800's are junk. You might try an NV silencer. If you feel that the temps are not reading correctly, can you put your finger on the back of the card (under the GPU) without burning your finger after a sec?

Hello,
Yeah, yeah it's not even close to hot enough to burn anything. I can definately put my finger on any of the heatsink and definately the backplate.

Thanks for the idea. I am waiting for the NV SIlencer to be stocked. They discontinued them.

So, it sounds like the PNY boards just get warm... normal & healthy...

i gto an idea...why dont you download rivatuner....use the hardware monitoring thing...play a game..and you're tesmp shhould be lower than the idle temp....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back