Shipping To Canada?

ZzBloopzZ

[H]ard|Gawd
I got a buyer but he lives in Canada. What is a good cheap carrier?

I use USPS Priority for people with in the US. I was thinking Fedex?

well depends on how much the thing wieghs but from my experience its still cheaper to ship usps

UPS dings Canadians lots for duty, you get lucky with Fedex sometimes. USPS is still the cheapest option, i would invest in some tracking tho...

Mephistopheles said:
UPS dings Canadians lots for duty, you get lucky with Fedex sometimes. USPS is still the cheapest option, i would invest in some tracking tho...

What do you mean by dings?

I'm just shipping a Athlon XP + HSF. So I guess it would be around a pound.

Will Global Priority Mail - Variable Weight (Single) work?

Basic charge from UPS for customs is useually around $35bux can. Your package since it wont be very large should be fine like that.

USPS = least chance of geting hit with duty
Fedex = hit or miss
UPS & Purolator = you'll get hit right between the eyes almost guaranteed

From my personal experience, anyways.

I only accept stuff from teh states that with ups and i have never ever been charged a darn thing. USPS is ok for low priced stuff but i almost always go with ups. Got fedex too 2 times, not bad stuff there but is hard for me to get it from them.

i have had 4 items shipped to canada by usps.never have i got dinged with duty,tax etc.
it helps us out by stating on the customs form its value is less than $40us,and even state that it is a gift.but if you do that don`t have any type of business info on the box

THE JEW (RaVeN) said:
Fedex = hit or miss

QFT

Mark it as a gift and include a birthday card or those bastards in Montreal at the customs house will put import duty on it...

MD_Willington said:
QFT

Mark it as a gift and include a birthday card or those bastards in Montreal at the customs house will put import duty on it...

Wow interesting. Glad I asked :c)

Where would I put gift... like right outside on the box? Or will the post office give me a customs form to sign and just put it on that?

Thanks!

ZzBloopzZ said:
Wow interesting. Glad I asked :c)

Where would I put gift... like right outside on the box? Or will the post office give me a customs form to sign and just put it on that?

Thanks!

It's a little green card they stick on the box before you ship... And like it's been mentioned earlier, I would use USPS all the way, mark it as a "gift" with a value of under 70-80$ and voilà, no duty 95% of the time... And like someone also said, I once received a birthday card with a package, it's a nice touch sure, but in no way necessary ;)

also! important! dont buy insurance if you are getting the package in Canada.

I just got a 6800gt come in the mail from an ebay auction in the states (i live in canada) and had to pay $60 taxes because my sender had (upon my request) bought 4 dollars insurance and insured the package for $350 U.S. Ofcourse customs was all over it and BAM! the old fork in the eye. You cant argue cause then they would say its insurance fraud where you are trying to get more money for the loss of an item than its actually worth.

Hello,

Most what people say here is true. I did not know about "those Montreal bastards" however (I am 60 miles from Montreal).. Anyway, here is a small procudre I have set up over the past months to help not being taxed. You may cut'n paste if you wish if that may help someone.

Para

--------------------------

Shipping to Canada is in no way a complicated matter. What is following might look intimidating, but it's really not, trust me.

Here's some fundamental guidelines on how to ship to Canada, based on numerous trades from US to Canada that my friend and I have done since a couple of years now.

Following those steps will firstly get the package to reache me much faster and secondly it will avoid myself to have to pay some taxes.

The simplified guidelines:

1- Declare package as a gift;
2- Don't declare the package more than actual value OR to a maximum value of 45$US;
3- Never use UPS (United Parcel Service). Use USPS instead;
4- Declare what's really in the box. "Computer stuff" would be fine for exemple.

The detailed guidelines (if you want to know the why's):

1- First things first, please declare the package as a gift to me when filling the forms at the post office. This is very important;

2- Do not declare more than the actual value of the package. Canadians are allowed up to 45$US without paying any taxes ONLY IF the package is declared as a gift. otherwise, I will have to pay taxes. So, if you declare the package as a value of 1000$, I will have to pay taxes on 955$ even if the package is declared as a gift. So, declare the value like 20$-25$US, it would be fine;

3- Please, avoid UPS at all cost (united parcel service - AKA "the brown"). Even if you do the first 2 steps correctly, the recipient (that would be me) will pay some crazy brokerage fees since UPS has their own brokerage center and they charge a premium amount for imported goods. Be it a gift or not;

4- Declare what is really in the box. Just say "computer stuff". I had a trade once where a guy sent me a box full of stuff (computer parts) and he declared that the package was 2 sweaters and a calculator... Yeah, but the box weighted 6 pounds.. Custom agents aren't that stupid. They opened up the box and saw that it was a false declaration... So, they have fixed their own "approximate value" of the hardware and charged taxes upon this value. That was most unpleasant.

--------------------------

1) Don't trust UPS. They're Theives.

Here is what they say on their site.

UPS provides a full range of customs brokerage services for commercial imports and exports at exceptionally competitive rates, using state-of-the-art technology. Ship using UPS Express Early A.M., UPS Express Plus, UPS Express, UPS Expedited, or UPS 3 Day Select and you save even more as there is no charge for routine customs clearance when UPS is both the carrier and the broker.

They ding me for brokerage EVERY time. I don't think they actually have their own brokers.

2) USPS is good, so is Fedex. $700 item via Fedex. Only taxes charges (7%, Canadian law requires) (UPS would have hit me for over $100 on brokerage here)

3) Mark as a gift, no taxes :D

4) There are no duties on this kind of stuff. :D only brokerage/tax. Marking as a gift and avoiding UPS should remove all fees.

Gary King said:
But retail stores won't be willing to mark packages as gifts.. would they? :D

Small computer shops with few employees do it sometimes. Don't count on big infrastructure to do this.

Para

Nemesis999 said:
1) Don't trust UPS. They're Theives.

Here is what they say on their site.

They ding me for brokerage EVERY time. I don't think they actually have their own brokers.

2) USPS is good, so is Fedex. $700 item via Fedex. Only taxes charges (7%, Canadian law requires) (UPS would have hit me for over $100 on brokerage here)

3) Mark as a gift, no taxes :D

4) There are no duties on this kind of stuff. :D only brokerage/tax. Marking as a gift and avoiding UPS should remove all fees.

Can I ship via Global Priority Mail - Variable Weight (Single)? The item is 1.5LBS, and is just a CPU and heatsink fan.

THE JEW (RaVeN) said:
Fedex = hit or miss

I second that. Never use ups for shippings things to canada. I got hit once for using them. I will never use them again for importing things to canada. I bought a heatsink for 60$USD and when the delivery guy came to my door i got dinged 40$!!!! for customs/brokerage. (shipping was 20$ too) so basically shipping and customs probably costed more than the item received.

another suggestion!

send in as small a box as you can. I just got RAPED by taxes getting something from the sates. I bought a Neo 2 motherboard for $80 (what i deal eh!) but customs decided to ignore the $40 gift declaration and slap a $300 tag on it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

can you say $60 taxes?

its not for sure yet but im almost certain it happened because the box was big.

Back