need help choosing right ram for msi neo4

Max-Powers

Gawd
What ram is proven to work with this board? Iv been messing with this thing for several weeks and am getting tired of it
Having stability issues with my current ram http://www.chiefvalue.com/app/productdetails.asp?item=20-146-299 cant even get windows installed. Fail memory tests (individual sticks and with ram from other computers). Get errors before starting installation most of the time, sometimes I can get it to start installing, but it will get errors then, sometimes I got it to install, but it would get errors once it got into windows setup. Got damn small Linux to work, after 10 trys, and it crashes after using it for a bit.
Iv tried each stick individually in each slot, tried pc2100 and pc2700 from other computers, and fooled around with just about everything I can think of. Changing settings in bios, like memory voltage or memory timing prevents my computer from booting up. Have to reset bios.
I saw on their website that you have to manually adjust your memory. http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=K8N_Neo4_Platinum/SLI&class=mb (Due to the High Performance Memory design, motherboards or system configurations may or may not operate smoothly at the JEDEC (Joint Electron Device Engineering Council) standard settings (BIOS Default on the motherboard) such as DDR voltage, memory speeds and memory timing. Please confirm and adjust your memory setting in the BIOS accordingly for better system stability.)
I have tried looking on mushkins website for information, but I couldn’t find anything on the memory I had. (Guess they don’t like to advertise their type green series on their website) on mushkins website it seems to mention their ram not working with nforce4 boards.

I found a little info that might help:
- PC3200 modules are rated for CAS3-4-4 at 400MHz.
- Power supply: VDD, VDDQ: 2.6V+/-0.1V

I found it at Monarch

i had some ram problems with this board also. but i found out that the configuration wasnt like i was used to. try different dimm slots. starting from left to right. im sure youve done that though. but sounds like the problem i had. nothing was bad, just a bad configuration

Boozer said:
i had some ram problems with this board also. but i found out that the configuration wasnt like i was used to. try different dimm slots. starting from left to right. im sure youve done that though. but sounds like the problem i had. nothing was bad, just a bad configuration
right now im trying it in slots 1 and 3. im messing with the timings but not geting anything that doesnt get errors on memtest. what configuration do you use and what should i try? what timing settings do you use? Im really pissed off at this board, about to buy anotther one

Max-Powers said:
right now im trying it in slots 1 and 3. im messing with the timings but not geting anything that doesnt get errors on memtest. what configuration do you use and what should i try? what timing settings do you use? Im really pissed off at this board, about to buy anotther one

You need to put them in slots 1 and 2 if you are trying to run in dual channel. The first green and first purple slot. I think the manual is a bit confusing on this issue.

puting a stick in each green slot gets less errors using mem test then using slot 1 and 2. normaly i get a few thousand errors within 10 sec. if the sticks are in 1 and 3 i get like 100 errors in the first few seconds

im wondering if my ram might not be fast enough or something. i want to buy some ram for this mobo that i can just plug and play. i really dont want to have to buy another mobo. any ram that somone with this motherboard might link me to?

Back