Partitioning problems

MoDsOuRcEdOtNeT

Limp Gawd
When I try to partition I get this...

Microsoft DiskPart version 1.0
Copyright (C) 1999-2001 Microsoft Corporation.
On computer: DEREK

DISKPART> list disk

Disk ### Status Size Free Dyn Gpt
-------- ---------- ------- ------- --- ---
Disk 0 Online 114 GB 0 B

DISKPART> select disk 0

Disk 0 is now the selected disk.

DISKPART> create partition primary 15000

The arguments you specified for this command are not valid.

DISKPART> create partition primary size=150000

DiskPart was unable to create the specified partition.

DISKPART> create partition extended size=15000

DISKPART> create partition logical size=15000

DISKPART>

I have windows xp so why cant I partition. I wanna install mandrake linux but I dont wanna have to format. Help please. Thanks.

You dont have any free space to make a partition on..... says 0B free right there...

Not sure about DiskPart because I have never used it. All the same my question would be why are you using a 3rd party Partioner? I know SuSE, and perhaps in your case Mandrake should come with a built in partioner. During the install of SuSE it sets up the partion and you can make changes it to it and it will do the work for you. I'd assume its the same in Mandrake seeing as that is also a Large Distribution Distro.

Its because it leaves me with 0 megs of unallocated space. I really have about 60 gigs of space left.

Edit: Mandrake does have a partitioner but im scared it will delete my data because my entire hardrive is set up as one big windows partition.

Partition Magic. Just take some of that free space off with that, and separate it into a new partition. What you have partitioned, while unoccupied, is not "unpartitioned", and thus, a partitioning utility that's not Partition magic or something similar is not going to see it as free to be partitioned.

Yeah. Run a defrag first to get all your files in one location as much as possible, then lop 20GB or so of free space off the end of your main partition with Partition Magic, and repartition it as a new partition. It should keep all your files intact, cause I know it did for me, but I can't possibly make any guarantees, you know. It should not damage anything.

Code:
DISKPART>
DISKPART> SELECT DISK = 0
Disk 0 is now the selected disk
DISKPART> SELECT PARTITION = 1
Partition 1 is now selected
DISKPART> extend = 10000

try that

disk zero is the first disk listed in Disk Management
there is however no "zero" partition, so starting with the first partition as counted from the disk focus is on
there must be unallocated space adjecent to the partition to expand into

see the html in the download
like Unix commandline arguements [ ] or < > arent actually typed

so extend [size=n] [disk=n] [noerr]

Code:
 DISKPART> extend size=666666 disk=0 noerr

if you need a disk partioner Casper XP has a free trail i have been using that.

also diskpart cant extend a partition that contain a pagefile or on the system partition

Back