Hyundai L90D+ colour issue

Chaballaman

[H]ard|Gawd
just got one today, but i'm bit disappointed so far. picture quality(prob due to colours) isn't good as the year old 19" samsung(but i paid more than twice the price n it has 25ms) and image doesn't look as sharp. screen looks slightly brighter on top n bottom, colours look bit washed.. bit too much red in movies, but viewing angles weren't bad as expected.

also has one dead pixel at the mid-bottom. which is most annoying. :(

i've set it to 65 contrast n 35 brightness, but haven't played with colours yet.. but do i have to?

gamma is the adjustment that corrects this monitor the best. play with the video card settings. gamma will be in there and so wil brightness and contrast that actually do something. i noticed the monitor's controls don't do that much.

As for your sharpness, I'm not sure why it wouldn't be as sharp as any other LCD. Are you using it with the DVI port or VGA. The DVI makes a notable difference on this monitor. good luck with it. sorry you're disappointed.

Well, i have experience a few things about these monitors that i enjoyed and didnt enjoy. And for one thing, ill straight up say ill never read another tomshardware review as long as i live. I wanted this monitor becuase i heard the 19 inch lcd is the best for gaming experience. And i found only a few versions of the 19 inch to have a low 8 ms response. Keep in mind for color to color it is about a 10.5 but it still has pretty much no ghosting. As for your color problem. Are you running digital or analog. Its kinda wierd when i say this but if your using dvi cables like i am do to your video card, try to run the monitor on analog setting still. Clears up the picture majorly. I bought one of them at first and it also came with a dead pixel, bright ass red about middle right of the monitor and about a half inch in from the side. I was pretty pissed to I purchased a second. "THANK GOD THERE CHEAP" The second came in and also had a dead pixel. This one is blue and its about the same place yours is and this pixel doesnt bother me a bit. The blue is hard to see even when its a black screen. And scince my screen is rarely white it isnt no problem. :) Anyways I called corprate and I have a phone apt with a manager to see if i can at least get one replaced scince i bought two with dead pixels. I cant believe there isnt a company out there who garuntees no dead pixels. I think its bs. But anyways, if anyone else is haveing problems with this monitor please post so i know what to expect. I will be writing a full review on them and hopefully [H] will post it so this doesnt happen to anyone else.

thanks for the replies, i'm using dvi of course. i also read that 8ms 19" review at tomshardware which got me really interested but i also did alot of homework before getting it. after checking alot of forums i found out that L90D+ has tn not pva screen, but user feedbacks were generally very good so went ahead.. there were many users just upgraded from crt and they all said image looked great so i thought it was true but compared to 19" samsung side by side, samsung def has better screen.

hyundai just got back to me n said i need min 5 dead pixels for warranty (i know samsung 19" has no dead pixel policy) so looks like i have to live with that dodgy dead pixel.. but my main concern is the washed out colours.. :( looks like i'll have to play with the gamma setting.

16.7mil colours > 262,000 colours. Going from a PVA to a TN panel is a very bad idea, as you will notice the difference in the strengths and weaknesses of the panels.

NeverBeGosu said:
Umm if im not mistaken. And i dont think i do. Imagequest uses the samsung panel. :)
It uses the Samsung TN panel. That's why it looks bad next to Chaballaman's other monitor which is also by Samsung but it's a PVA screen.

Im not using a L90D+ but using another TN screen, coming from a MVA (not samsung) it was extremely different. The colors seemed very washed out, but with alittle adjusting, it looks ok.

The key is that in games, i noticed ZERO ghosting. I have a 12ms Sceptre and its GREAT for gaming, but lacks everything else =).

Also, i dont know if you notice, but the contrast of screen is darker on the top then the bottem...took me alittle while to get use to it =) After reading up I saw that this is completely normal on TN.

I dont have the contrast problem but the screens not as clear as i wouldliike it to be. :)

No, it's a 262,000 colour screen which dithers to be a 6-bit panel. It's not even really a 6-bit. That's why I try to stay away from TN screens, despite how fast they are. I prefer true 8-bit/16.7m colour screens. But then I'm not a heavy gamer anyway.

I think of it this way, you want a ninteen inch lcd that has great speed and perfect colour then your goign to spend close to 700 + for the thing. Ill get two of these and suffer the colour. O wait, i already got two of em. :)

The colour of TN screens isn't all that bad compared to true colour. But it is noticable. It's just "washed out" looking. Not something you'd want to do photo work on, but as I said, for gaming these screens are good.

I agree, but they're still better to game on. I myself would never own one, though. I'm currently on an IPS Dell 2005 and I couldn't be happier.

Yep, way better to game on....i picked the TN screen over my MVA, colors are MUCH MUCH brighter on the MVA, but it also ghosts badly in some games. So now im just getting use to the no so bright colors and the weird viewing angles.

Its really a toss up, when asked, most people have NO idea what a TN+Film, MVA/PVA is. Go to best buy or Compusa, ask them what type of LCD is this and watch them scratch their heads. ( I mean how many people actually read all the stickys)

Back