Received a very interesting call from Dell re: buzzing on 2405FPW

CalKenneth

Limp Gawd
Hey all,

I just received a very interesting call from a Dell technical support representative based out of Austin, TX. Apparently they have a list of customers that they are calling who have reported a buzzing noise in the Dell 2405FPW monitors. A Dell engineer wants to capture all of those monitors and test them in the lab to figure out why they are buzzing and what can be done to fix the problem.

The list of customers are from people who've requested replacements due to the buzzing problem. They're going to send me a special airbill to send the defective monitor back to so it can be tested in their lab.

Once I talk to the engineer myself I will let you know of any more information. I mentioned to the technical support representative that since I know some of you have the same problem, I would be happy to put you guys in touch with him esp if you never called in for a replacement. He said that I should talk to the engineer first and figure out whether that is necessary.

Anyway...more updates to come.

So what is this buzzing like? My 2405 has this *really* high pitched whine, kind of like a tv, but a tiny bit louder. I requested an exchange, but the exchange came with a tiny scratch on teh display, so I might just keep this one.

I got a voicemail from Dell the other day, asking me to send the whining monitor to a different place than the original airbill stated (probably to whatever facility you're talking about). Can someone send me the phone # or email of the contact person? (the extension I was given didn't work). Thanks.

solarbeat said:
So what is this buzzing like? My 2405 has this *really* high pitched whine, kind of like a tv, but a tiny bit louder. I requested an exchange, but the exchange came with a tiny scratch on teh display, so I might just keep this one.

I got a voicemail from Dell the other day, asking me to send the whining monitor to a different place than the original airbill stated (probably to whatever facility you're talking about). Can someone send me the phone # or email of the contact person? (the extension I was given didn't work). Thanks.

I don't have a buzzing noise on mine - just buzzing. I used to have a high-pitched whine on a Dell 2001FP that I bought but I returned that one rather quickly. The buzzing is more noticeable if you put your head near where the power cable goes in. It changes depending on what brightness settings you're on.

That's probably the same person who called me. I haven't received any new airbills yet and don't have the person's contact information, but if the person contacts me in the next few days I'll let you know.

Did they say they were sending you a new airbill?

Cal,

Cheers for this thread mate - keep us informed! As I'm in the UK, I'll have to persue my own line of inquiry. Perhaps if something comes of the investigation in the US, I could justify having mine looked at.

Interesting post, CalKenneth. I have the buzz but no other problems with the 2405. I did not get a call from a tech, even though mine is set up for a return. With no other problems, I'll probably keep it since my price before tax is going to be $799 (they've given me a $60 price match already and are offering $40 more to keep it). I just don't want to put the 17" CRT back on my desk, and I like the price-point. :D

If they end up fixing the buzz in the next 3 years, or if it gets progressively worse, I can always get a refurb exchange.

who1zep said:
Interesting post, CalKenneth. I have the buzz but no other problems with the 2405. I did not get a call from a tech, even though mine is set up for a return. With no other problems, I'll probably keep it since my price before tax is going to be $799 (they've given me a $60 price match already and are offering $40 more to keep it). I just don't want to put the 17" CRT back on my desk, and I like the price-point. :D

If they end up fixing the buzz in the next 3 years, or if it gets progressively worse, I can always get a refurb exchange.

$60 + $40 ain't bad :)

Ok this may seem kinda strange.... but I have no buzzing noises on my 2405.... until I turn it OFF

Yeah, I know weird... and I have to be like within 2 ft to hear it... but when I turn the monitor off i hear a really high pitched noise... coming from the right side. Weird eh?

PowerLlama said:
Ok this may seem kinda strange.... but I have no buzzing noises on my 2405.... until I turn it OFF

Yeah, I know weird... and I have to be like within 2 ft to hear it... but when I turn the monitor off i hear a really high pitched noise... coming from the right side. Weird eh?

No, I've seen that before too. When I turn mine off, there's kind of a squealing/whining noise coming from the right side. It fades away quickly, though.

CalKenneth said:
A Dell engineer wants to capture all of those monitors and test them in the lab to figure out why they are buzzing and what can be done to fix the problem.

Here's a thought: use an external power brick. Stupid dell.

I personally prefer external power brick. It's not that big and it's under my desk anyway. There is no buzzing and if anything goes wrong with it you can easily replace it.

I wish dell would invest the same time for the stupid buzzing in their plasma screens :(

I'd prefer an external supply as well. Less heat inside the monitor.

I just called Dell to set up an exchange because of the high pitched whine. X-ing my fingers for the replacement.

I Got that buzzing too. My does not buzz when it's cold but starts to buzz more and more along with time and i guess the temperature. and this was my first time facing the stupidest tech support guy ever.
First he asked to put my phone next to the monitor so he can hear it, second he gave me a case number but picked another order that was cancelled. I am waiting for replacement now.

FX55 said:
I Got that buzzing too. My does not buzz when it's cold but starts to buzz more and more along with time and i guess the temperature. and this was my first time facing the stupidest tech support guy ever.
First he asked to put my phone next to the monitor so he can hear it, second he gave me a case number but picked another order that was cancelled. I am waiting for replacement now.

Hey guys... After realizing that the 2405fpw has cheaper backlight electronics (see my 243T vs. 2405fpw thread), I think the problem might be the just the backlight. You know how it sometimes sounds when you charge the flash on a camera, or a taser, or something? That same kind of whine, just constant, could be emitted by a cheap backlight generator, I think.

I just checked and I have that buzzing, too. It's not very loud and easiest to hear near the case or by holding an ear up to the frame. I also recorded the buzzing with a mic and looked at it in cooledit: It has a primary component of 218Hz and sounds remarkably similar in pitch and flavor to a 218Hz square wave. The guys who designed the 2405fpw should know immediately which of their components oscillates at 218Hz... I would say either their switching power supply or their high voltage generator for the fluorescent backlight. Either way, 218Hz is disappointingly low for either of those applications.

I get that buzzing too, but instead its more of a really loud hissing, as if theres some kind of vicious fan in side. It happened once i tried to use the USB2 ports on it, and it happens every now and again after being on for a few hours. I have a 2005FPW btw. I find that taking the power cable out for 10 secs fixes the problem, but now i cant use the USB 2 ports on the side :(

My first 2005FPW didnt do this, but i dont really fancy replacing this one because it has no backlight leakage (well as close as im likely to get) with no dead pixels or anything.

orama said:
I'd prefer an external supply as well. Less heat inside the monitor.

I just called Dell to set up an exchange because of the high pitched whine. X-ing my fingers for the replacement.

my dell 2001fp has an external psu brick and its much warmer than the 2405

Just received my two 2405s (ordered back in March, stupid European Dell), and both of them give of a really high pitch noise/whine... is this the same as the buzzing you're talking about (or is that more of a low pitch/base like humming)?

Or more interestingly has anyone figured out what to do to get rid of the annoying sounds? just waited 2 months for the displays and don't feel like sending them both back (and probably waiting another 2 months)...

Just in case anyone was wondering, I never heard from Dell again. They never sent me an airbill to send to their special engineering lab, nor did they ever call me again. Maybe they decided this was a non-issue?

i think it's normal, if u have to put ur ear to the frame and make sure the room is all quiet then its not tht bad....frankly i dont remember if my 1st 2405 had buzzing but when i read this thread i decided to put my ear where the vents are and i can hear something....how noticeable is it for u guys? i have to make sure noone is talking in the house and turn my comp off to listen to it if it is loud

If your computer is extremely quiet, well nigh inaudible (like my special-purpose system, Sigma Two, built to be inaudible outside of three feet; it's my main project system, as one of SilentPCReview's editors.), the hum from this display is quite clear and obvious. I find it to be medium->high pitch, not really very high (but I can hear far higher pitch sounds and am particularly sensitive to higher frequencies, as per several medical hearing exams). I can easily detect the sound up to ~eight feet from the unit during VERY late night or VERY early morning hours where I live.

I do agree, however, that any decent level of ambient noise or even some other good source of distraction will probably render it to less of an issue, particularly considering how the vast majority of computer systems out there are easily louder than this panel. I find that adjusting brightness doesn't solve the problem completely, like it does for my Samsung 151P (set brightness to 60 or up and its buzz is completely gone).

The issue is most definitely due to the backlighting, not the power circuitry.

-Ed

Edward Ng said:
If your computer is extremely quiet, well nigh inaudible (like my special-purpose system, Sigma Two, built to be inaudible outside of three feet; it's my main project system, as one of SilentPCReview's editors.), the hum from this display is quite clear and obvious. I find it to be medium->high pitch, not really very high (but I can hear far higher pitch sounds and am particularly sensitive to higher frequencies, as per several medical hearing exams). I can easily detect the sound up to ~eight feet from the unit during VERY late night or VERY early morning hours where I live.

I do agree, however, that any decent level of ambient noise or even some other good source of distraction will probably render it to less of an issue, particularly considering how the vast majority of computer systems out there are easily louder than this panel. I find that adjusting brightness doesn't solve the problem completely, like it does for my Samsung 151P (set brightness to 60 or up and its buzz is completely gone).

The issue is most definitely due to the backlighting, not the power circuitry.

-Ed

that was very helpful, now ppl who think they have it know what the problem should sound like

that or you're part man part bat ;)

bench261 said:
that was very helpful, now ppl who think they have it know what the problem should sound like

that or you're part man part bat ;)
ROFL... can you say Batman?! :p

Bump...

I have a 2405 that should arrive any day now... any update to this buzzing problem or has dell fixed the problem?

yeah i get the buzzing too. i think i was the first one to make a thread on it, a couple of months ago. however, i'm too lazy to call dell for a replacement since, well other than the buzzing, the monitor is perfect. i don't know. maybe i'll consider it. but once you find out what exactly causes the problem, please let all of us 2405fpw owners know. that way we can get this issue fixed (and have THE perfect monitor) well subjectively ;)

Back