Helper / Mentor Idea for new users and ppl with questions!

Majic

[H]ard|Gawd
OK, here is the plan I am working on sort of a mentor, hand holding, and just putting a name to someone who is willing to answer any question someone may have. All be it, might not be the right answer but, hey. Hehe. This is to give new members more of a sense of belonging and to try to kill that awkward period were you don’t want to ask a question cause you feel its dumb. Because I know I have asked a few!

Now here is what I am asking of the team. I would like a sub-team of 5-10 ppl willing to give some of their time to these new ppl. I am not asking to send every new member a basket of ram and warm corn bread you cook on the old amd cpu. But what I am asking is to have your name, one or more IM log-on, and an e-mail available for someone new or just someone with a question. You need to be fairly familiar with the forums, Folding, UD (maybe even a few other projects), permissions, Hardfolding.com and a few of the guides we have out there. I am not saying you have to have it all memorized but at least if you can’t answer the question easily you know where you can point them or someone else you can direct them to.

I will gather this list of ppl and their knowledge with the things that each one knows off the top of his/her head. That way it’s easier for the person with the question to find specific help. You will need to be level headed and the type of person who has the time and temper to teach their own mom (dad or just the other person living with you hehe) how to do something on the computer. This will be no job for foul mouths and rude behavior. If you feel you can’t do that then please don’t bother to add you name to this list.

I have seen ppl mention sending out e-mails to every new member saying such and such but unless the new members come in and post that info there is no way to do that. I know many don’t even view the forums or would rather not give out an e-mail to just anyone. So there are a few options I am looking at. One will be having a sticky with names, e-mail, IM log-on and if they have a special area of interest. Second, I want to work on something to add to Hardfolding.com site. Where the site would show the status for a helper on-line and available to help with someone’s question. This second option is something I really need to look into further. Lastly going back to the good old IRC way of getting ppl to come into chat and ask a few questions. At that point that will have ppl there to help and if a lot if going on it can go into private chat.

Wow I have not done this much typing in years. I am spent and if you read all of this I bet you are too.

I am willing to look at suggestions posted and would like to help but I would also ask not to have this thread turned into a trash thread. All PPL willing to give me a hand and a shoot at this Please, PM me and do not post here!! PLEASE

MAJIC
Folding@Home
UD

sign me up

i would like to request the cute girls :D

maybe you could make a splash screen so when someone new adds there name to login (first time only) it pops up and says hey look here we like to help out and we have a mentor for you if you want send him an email if you want....

just a thought

I'm in.

Name: Andy Juskelis
Projects: F@H, RC5-64 and -72
Platforms: Windows, Linux
Other: Fold-Server experience
E-mail: andy at crashsector dot net
MSN: crashsector at hotmail dot com
IRC: irc.enterthegame.com #hardfolding (Crashsector)

Crashsector said:
I'm in.

Name: Andy Juskelis
Projects: F@H, RC5-64 and -72
Platforms: Windows, Linux
Other: Fold-Server experience
E-mail: andy at crashsector dot net
MSN: crashsector at hotmail dot com
IRC: irc.enterthegame.com #hardfolding (Crashsector)

crash, didja read the post. You need to PM him. ;)

Hito Bahadur said:
I don't know if Crash did. I only got past the first sentence....

Lol. Majic needs to work on his communication skills if ppl only read the first line. :eek:

I'll PM too. PMs have become so unreliable on this forum since the popup has been disabled (to no fault of the administrators) and most people turn off forum emails.

Crashsector said:
I'll PM too. PMs have become so unreliable on this forum since the popup has been disabled (to no fault of the administrators) and most people turn off forum emails.

This is critical to a project of this type, I had not realized PM's were unreliable. Is there a better method ?

All my PM's seem to be working great I also get an e-mail with each PM. I am still looking for a few more ppl. Then I will set something up for a date and live chat so we can all have a sit down and talk over somethings.

Alright looks like we have 12 ppl some old some new. Nice mix. I will send out a PM to everyone I got PM's from already with our first date-time-place we will try to shoot through some info and see how things go. I am looking at sometime between mon-wed to start.

Also anyone I did not get PM's from but would like to sumbit any suggestions or comments to this section please go ahead and Just because you are not one of the ppl who volunteered to help in this format it does not mean we dont welcome your help at any time. This is not a strict locked down help team. We are also not an exclusive sub team. If you can help, help!!

Alright PPL that sent me a PM prior. you all have mail! Have a day and time to put some thoughts together. Look forward to seeing as many show up as we can. Will setup another night soon and hope we can get everyone on atleast one night!

I will not be able to attend since I will be at the Oriole's game :( I'd like a transcript!%@#

Crashsector said:
I will not be able to attend since I will be at the Oriole's game :( I'd like a transcript!%@#

have fun at the game... i'm not gonna be there either cause i have driver's ed ( :rolleyes: )
majic: i sent you a PM, but in case you didn't see it, i'd like a transcript too.

I'll be there... Unless I fall asleep due to the mixing of some OTC sinus meds lol

Keep on Folding!!

banana2.gif

I will be there. :D But maybe a teensy late.

Next meeting Monday, April 11th, 8:00PM EST

Great turn out for first meeting. Sorry we missed the ppl that didnt get to show. And it was inpart my fault with a short notice. Hope this helps more. Abit, of stuff discussed and worked on. GG took notes and should be sending them to me very soon, so that I may pass it on to the ppl that were late or unable to show up.

Thank you all for your support and willingness to help others help Humanity!

i just checked to see if i could connect to the chat room and got this error:
Code:
Connection to MELANGE CHAT SERVER at (ip) failed!
MELANGE debug: java.net.ConnectException: Connection timed out: connect
would this error be normal at this time (5:30)? cause if it isn't, my proxy is causing it, and i won't be able to attend unless my parents go to sleep early (proxy is involuntary until they do)

sorry if i can't be there... at least you'll know why.

I need to take alittle break few rl issues have came up. I need someone to take over for the next meeting with planning and such. I will PM you the list of ppl I have. Should only be out of the main stream of things for about 2 weeks. Sorry guys.

Back