XP-M on a nforce 2 board

Xxenolith

n00b
I want to run a XP-M 3000+ on my nforce 2 board (Chaintech 7NJL6). This board says unknown CPU, then clocks it at 133x6. The bios won't let me adjust the multiplier. It should be set at 133 x 16.5. Any ideas on how to get the proper setting using this board?

I read on the IntraWeb that if I break the 3rd bridge from the left on the L5 block, I will convert this chip from a mobile barton, into a desktop barton. Would this board then read the timing correctly?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Try updating your bios.

EDIT: then hmmm... I don't know :confused: , sorry

One of the first things I did. There has been only one update to the bios since this borad came out, and all that update did was allow Win98 SE to work.

Xxenolith said:
One of the first things I did. There has been only one update to the bios since this borad came out, and all that update did was allow Win98 SE to work.

You will always get the unknown CPU on a desktop mobo but it shouldn't lock the multiplier.... all XP-Ms are unlocked.

I have a XP-M 2800+ and the same Chaintech Mobo. I can't get it to run stable @ 133 x2.

I've been frustrated as well. Is there a good FAQ or site for trying different bus speeds with that chipset mobo? Could my ram be causing this thing to lock up / reboot when I increase the bus speed? (I guess I know the answer to that question but thought I'd ask to see if anyone has good information.)

I've read that DFI mobos are good for XP-M's, but I spent money on this one and would like to keep it.

sn2op said:
You will always get the unknown CPU on a desktop mobo but it shouldn't lock the multiplier.... all XP-Ms are unlocked.

Theres a few mobos that recognize them just as K7 processors (I know Epox does for sure and I think Asus or DFi does as well). If you get a motherboard where you can't change the multuplier then I think you're pretty much screwed with an xp-m and can only up the fsb. Unless there is some chip modification that I don't know about.

I checked into this when I was looking for a NF2 microATX board and it appeared that all of them except the Biostar could not change the multiplier (and now you can't with the new revision of the Biostar board).

all XP-Ms are unlocked.

Mobile cpu's do have locked multipliers at the top and bottom end...the usually range from 6-16.5...depending on the model you get.

Xxenolith

I read on the IntraWeb that if I break the 3rd bridge from the left on the L5 block, I will convert this chip from a mobile barton, into a desktop barton. Would this board then read the timing correctly?

Not really, there are other bridges on the cpu that are not configured the same as the regular desktop cpu.

Xxenolith & Chief_Suicide

You're not screwed...

Before you go and trash you cpu's by cutting and joining bridges...If you cannot change the multiplier from within the bios or via onboard jumpers, then you will need to do the wiremod also called the "pinmod" here:

http://www.ocinside.de/go_e.html?/html/workshop/pinmod/amd_pinmod.html

Works on all socket A mainboards...

List of common XP-M's with multiplier

CPU -- Speed @ 266 bus -- Multipier
XP-M 3000+ -- ~2.2 GHz -- 16.5
XP-M 2800+ -- ~2.1 GHz -- 16.0
XP-M 2600+ -- ~2.0 GHz -- 15.0
XP-M 2500+ -- ~1.8 GHz -- 14.5
XP-M 2400+ -- ~1.8 GHz -- 13.5
XP-M 2200+ -- ~1.6 GHz -- 12.0

ya know you could just drop some wire into the socket to force it to the multiplier you want, problem solved. :)

That's weird. Most every nForce2 Ultra board I've seen will unlock and run a Mobile XP @ 400fsb. My old GA-7NNXP even shows it as an Athlon XP and not a "unknown cpu". My son even has a cheapo GA-7N400-L motherboard in the Mobile XP system I built him and it didn't give any problems except it shows as unknown cpu at boot.

Urg, pin mods. If that is the only way, well...

If there is bios hack, I would much prefer that.

This chip worked fine on my ECS K7S5A Pro, but not on this board. On the ECS, the board called the processor an unknown CPU, but detected the right FSB and multiplier.

Xxenolith said:

This chip worked fine on my ECS K7S5A Pro, but not on this board. On the ECS, the board called the processor an unknown CPU, but detected the right FSB and multiplier.

I believe I'd sell that board and get a different nForce2 Ultra board before I'd try the mods mentioned above. Have you tried setting the FSB to 200(400) and see if that works?

ebay the board, and get another one... mATX nf2 boards arent known for the overlocking prowess, and it seems as if that BIOS just has no multi control at all, since its supposed to run desktop bartons, and the majoority of those (now anyway, my barton from over 2 years ago was factory unlocked) are locked at the factory.

Nope, not really worth setting it at 200 with the multiplier stuck at 6. 200 x 6 = 1.2 Ghz. I need to set the multiplier to get anywhere.

Roberty said:
I believe I'd sell that board and get a different nForce2 Ultra board before I'd try the mods mentioned above. Have you tried setting the FSB to 200(400) and see if that works?

Why? What is so hard about cutting up some wire, bending them into a U and dropping five of them into certain pin holes? It takes all of five minutes to do. This does not entail the work of a soldering iron or anything, just a needle nose pliers to shape and hold the wire and some nail clippers to cut the wire. God with my dual Athlon MP MPX board this is the only way to overclock my CPUs, not like it is perminate or anything, if it does not work take off the CPU and remove the wire. I mean really, has overclocking become so lame that we can't learn how overclock via anything else than a simple BIOS setting. :rolleyes:

Whats the fun in that. :confused:

Xxenolith said:

Mobiles are great way to update a K7S5A...I'm a mod at 2 K7S5A forums...LOL

The pinmod is fairly routine on the boards...

Check this out:

http://milt.websiteallies.com/Beginner's_Guide_to_Overclocking_the_K7S5A.htm

I'm the "Veedub 76" listed on the "Special Thanks" line...

The pinmod info there applies to what I suggested above...

;)

MD

Well... if you want my ECS K7S5A Pro with this XP-M 3000+, let me know. Probably get a good price for it. Will be on e-bay here shortly. Yes, I gave up on the pin mod.

in my board with an updated bios it displays Mobile Athlon XP2400 with default settings

The board sat around for while since I didn't have much use for it. So I put it all back together yesterday and it will only power up for one second, then shuts down. I tried different Processors, Power supplies, RAM............. nada.

So after all the initial frustration months ago, I end up having a bad board. Don't know what happened, the board was fine. I cleared the cmos and battery.. everything. I even pulled it out of the case to make sure it wasn't a short.

So.......anyway, I'm going to RMA it to Chaintech, but that is a story too. Chaintech's website doesn't have a RMA process, so you have to e-mail them. I can't RMA it through newegg either, cause they said I have to contact Chaintech directly. I'm going to try and get it RMA'd and what not, but this will be my last Chaintech Mobo. :(

if you dont want to break the bank, the shuttle in my sig is a nice cheap solution for a mobile XP. Only problem i had is getting windows to load when it was set at the default 800 MHz, I had to up the multiplier to about 10 to get it to go. Mine was 39 USD refurbished.

Xxenolith said:
Well... if you want my ECS K7S5A Pro with this XP-M 3000+, let me know. Probably get a good price for it. Will be on e-bay here shortly. Yes, I gave up on the pin mod.

You'll get some decent coin for it on ebay...I'm broke...LOL

MD

Back