Best 40Gb 5400rpm Laptop HDD?

Treppiede

Limp Gawd
Gentlemen,
I just wanted to share with you that after careful comparisons and evaluations I have finally purchased a notebook HDD for my USB 2.0 External enclosure. I needed a decent hard drive for it for several reasons, and I was tired of bidding on 12Giggers on eBay that went for over 30 bucks.

I noticed that the big jump in price was from 40Gb to 60 and up, so I went for a 40Gb. I wanted a large cache, so I mainly considered 8Mb and 16Mb units. Speed had to be 5400rpm of course.

I went for the Seagate ST94811A because it matched all the above specs, and the big thing that helped me make up my mind was the Warranty: 5 years.

What do you guys think of it? Do you have any link to reviews/comparisons on this particular model? I never had good luck with Seagate, but since it isn't gonna be my primary HDD and also due to its warranty, I couldn't justify going for another unit.

Regards,

Walter

I have never owned a Seagate notebook drive, but I like their desktop drives just fine. To chime in with a personal pick on notebook 5400rpm options, I love my Hitachi 5K80 to death. I bought the 20GB version over a year ago to replace a really loud drive in a used laptop, and it has been fast, quiet, and gentle on the battery.

seagate and western digital are the fastest 5400RPM 8mb cache drives you can get, samsung is the cheapest and comes in around the middle for performance makeing samsung the best value. toshiba is shit, plain and simple

Best how? I have a Samsung SpinPoint MP0402H, and it's one quiet little drive. A lot of the "silent PC" guys consider it the quietest in its class. Performance is good, though noticeably slower than a 7200 RPM unit, especially with seeks. Still, the 8 MB buffer steps up the read/write performance by a good bit.

Back