Fold-server 1.0

unhappy_mage

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - October 2005
Hello, guys,
You may remember the thread from a few days ago stating that I was dead or some such. Well, fear not. :rolleyes:

I am far from dead, and have released fold-server 1.0, for real this time. If you've been waiting for your chance to start using fold-server, now is the time. All the parts work "out of the box", rather than the "install and then fix this/that/other" procedure in 0.9. There are new options for the web interface, including (working!) resolv.conf editor for your DNS configuration and an easy username and team changer for FAH.

The clients now autoconfigure to get themselves the right type of packets, so if you've got a couple junkers among the jewels you won't have to run the whole farm on timeless anymore. ;)

The time is now. Documentation is up (but somewhat out of date, email me if you run into trouble). Crashsector is also working on documentation for normal people to understand. :p I'll add a link to this post once he completes it.

Enjoy 1.0!
unhappy_mage

as soon as I get my hands on a new boxen, or one of these crappers finishes one, I'll test it out. !!

New docs should be done tonight, new site some time this weekend :)

For the public record, fold-server = :cool: . (And apparently by his own admission mage = dumb).

Is this KodiakStar proof? I'm not touching it is it's not that simple.

Will the boxen actually fold under this release? Ouch... hehe

marty9876 said:

Will the boxen actually fold under this release? Ouch... hehe

Your brutal! :p

Crashsector said:
(And apparently by his own admission mage = dumb).
QFT ;)
marty9876 said:
I sure hope so... I'll have to ask him how he's making out, his internet's back up now.

its kinda funny... mage went to go help kodiakstar set up foldserver, and even HE couldn't make it work there... and he built the thing.

i guess kodiakstar is a really bad influence... must be all those diseases he's spreading;)

mage,

do you still require the computer to have 2 NIC cards in this release?

rogue_jedi said:
its kinda funny... mage went to go help kodiakstar set up foldserver, and even HE couldn't make it work there... and he built the thing.

i guess kodiakstar is a really bad influence... must be all those diseases he's spreading;)

Really.... Yea I've been there, can't get your own thing/product to work.

magnusvir said:
mage,

do you still require the computer to have 2 NIC cards in this release?

That's the nature of having a proxy, not due to the release. So yes.

Actually, that's in the works for 1.1. It should make a few things easier, but some things will get more tricky. The main problem with that is that it requires you to have your whole local network set up through fold-server, and that entails a lot of new webconfig plugins I need to write.

What about XML output so users can make custom parsers to work with the data? That would be :cool:

I'd have to read up more on xml to do that, but it is a cool idea. Add a few lines in a simple format, and add a new machine. :cool:

From my forthcoming docs:

Fold-Server is a self-contained Linux distribution based on Damn Small Linux (DSL) 0.93. It provides both server and client environments for a network-booted cluster of computers to be used in Stanford University’s Folding@Home project. Fold-Server was developed as a way to enable the processor and memory resources of client computers to be used without any impact on the permanent aspects of the hardware (hard disks). Fold-Server acts as a gateway between your existing network and a sub-network of clients, distributing cores and work units as needed. This streamlines the “farming” technique and also provides opportunities to improve monitoring and statistical reporting.

It is basically a server to allow you to run F@H on machines without the need for hard drives (or CD-ROMS or floppies) on the clients.

Crashsector said:
That's the nature of having a proxy, not due to the release. So yes.

nature of proxy? not with linux.
Granted I don't run this, I do run linux, one nic can have multiple interfaces.

example:

ifconfig eth0 up (this being local ip)
ifconfig eth0:1 up (this being internet ip)

iptables -P OUTPUT ACCEPT
iptables -F OUTPUT
iptables -P FORWARD DROP
iptables -F FORWARD
iptables -A FORWARD -i eth0:1 -o eth0 -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
iptables -A FORWARD -i eth0 -o eth0:1 -j ACCEPT
iptables -t nat -F
iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth0:1 -j MASQUERADE

I haven't tested this, but it should work.

Only thing nasty with everything on one NIC is DHCP.
Assuming "soho router" is serving the users internet, they would have to turn off their routers DHCP server, and ether set the info manually, or code for the Fold-server would need to know the settings the router had. Simple enough with linux DHCP to provide the correct dhcp to machines that don't have a matching MAC to a folding drone. If the user has no access to turn off DHCP then they would need the 2nic method.

Course thats more coding/work too... knowing each folding drones MAC. Ether way its more work, but it is possible.

If this foldserver works out, I will probably run it on the duallie p3 rig, given I haven't killed it already (those from the hardfolding IRC room know what i am talking about). If I did ruin the motherboard, i have a a-xp 1700 that will go into another comp, and my xp-m 2500 will go in the server o/c like a MF w/ my old Corsair memory. Either way, the server will be up and ~2ghz (Either 866mhz x 2 or 1.83ghz, both of which can and most likely will be overclocked), although I don't think I have any diskless nodes to run it with, I can still play with it. Perhaps boot the main rig & spare rigs to fold off it so they go faster. heh :)

Well got the serv itself up and running f@h this am
(ended up not getting home till this morning...), and still
have to setup static routes etc...

One thing I noticed is even thorugh X, or from my other
machine (can ping fine) but 192.168.1.15 is being
refused any connection.. is that just me :p

marty9876 said:
Hey, mage and yourself are going to get along great... :D
QFT - testing stuff isn't my strong suit. :p

vxspiritxv: Yes, I could go to a virtual network adapter like that, but for right now the configuration utility assumes that you have two network interfaces, and they're named "eth0" and "eth1". There's some room for flexibility there, but it'll take a bit more coding, and that's what I don't have time for ;)
I could send you my netconfiguration script, if you're willing to work on it... :D

Bodega: Yep, just go to \\192.168.1.15, log in as dsl (no password), and drag-n-drop the folders there into EM3. Cool, no?

KS: It should be up... is the network connection lighting up on the switch? You had what appeared to be a bad piece of cable there, that would be a reason not to ping...

Well even on the serv itself through X it is not loading the ip through firefox..
but it can connect to the outside world (forums) etc just fine :p

unhappy_mage: Eh like you im too busy... I get to have fun coding a "hotspot" wifi box. It uses PPPoE for its clients, bandwidth per client, stats per client, all that good stuff.

Back