Dual core athlons X2 tommorow...

Unfortunately, general availability is not until June. Decisions, decisions.....

WTF, i wait all this time for venice and now they are telling me im going to be outdated a month after i get it? GAYYYYYYY... well okay not really because i do want dualcore but damn talk about upsetting because i can't wait another month without a computer i dont think

yeah, the 21st has be rumored to be the launch date for a while. :D
(i never believed it though. i figured it was dual core opterons)

for further reading:
screen + thread of X2. note 512kb per core.
translated benches of the opteron 866 (2.2ghz)

rasha, for most things right now, a higher clocked single core > dual core ;)
jason: iirc, amd has specifically stated that the FX line will stay as the high mhz, single core part, aimed at enthusiasts.

nope. FX series is staying single core - its target market is hardcore gaming.

im reconsidering getting a 3700+ now... i need to see some prices

jeez, my upgrade cycle went from 3200+ venice to 3700+ San diego now to an X2 core with 2x 1mb (i want that 1mb, damnit) i hope they arent too expensive....

i'm so much looking forward to getting one for my render-box... really anxious to see some benches tomorrow.

I'm thinking this will be a great system for FAH. If it comes out tomorrow, I will order as soon as possible.

Will we see any FX X2's?
:)

I need a big biggggg E-Penis (Much as my CC will allow)
lithium726 said:
nope. FX series is staying single core - its target market is hardcore gaming.

im reconsidering getting a 3700+ now... i need to see some prices

jeez, my upgrade cycle went from 3200+ venice to 3700+ San diego now to an X2 core with 2x 1mb (i want that 1mb, damnit) i hope they arent too expensive....

Probably not until the new Unreal and Quake apps show up. They should have multi-thread capability.

AMD has been adamant that Single-core is the way to go for gaming and tests have pretty much shown that to be true.

But then, who knows, because most of this is about marketing.

Yeah, I know. =( Its go all the way with gaming with FX or Multi threading and go with X2 Why cant i have both.... :(

Hito Bahadur said:
Probably not until the new Unreal and Quake apps show up. They should have multi-thread capability.

AMD has been adamant that Single-core is the way to go for gaming and tests have pretty much shown that to be true.

But then, who knows, because most of this is about marketing.

The thing you all glossed over - it's compatible with notebooks as DTR's -aren't these suppose to be S754 only???!!!!!

Im gonna wait like a month before I upgrade to dual core... I want the OC guides etc. to come out first. I cant wait to see though.

Socrilles, you have a point. i guess i call bs on that part. taylor is the dual core turion, and probably won't be out and about for quite a while

pirate: oc'ing a dual core will be the same as a single core. one clock generator for both.. if you get what i mean.

(cf)Eclipse said:
Socrilles, you have a point. i guess i call bs on that part. taylor is the dual core turion, and probably won't be out and about for quite a while

pirate: oc'ing a dual core will be the same as a single core. one clock generator for both.. if you get what i mean.

And whose to say that a system builder wont be able to integrate s939 into a DTR notebook? There have been plenty of notebooks in the past to not only use desktop technology, but purely unmodified desktop processors. Case in point : Awhile back when they were selling 3.06Ghz Pentium4 Notebooks. Turion is a mobile chip designed not only for DTR but for regular notebooks as well.

Erasmus354 said:
Turion is a mobile chip designed not only for DTR but for regular notebooks as well.
actually, it seems that AMD is trying everything they can to prevent turion from being a DTR part.. basically to the point of telling board mfg's that they're not supposed to write a bios to support turion. i think that may happen indirectly with the support of 3700+ mobile though. :D

Any thoughts/word on prices for dual core A64s? Will it be significantly more expensive than single cores?

What do you guys think the highest X2 will be ? a 2.6ghz X2? So it wont overshine a FX-57?

my current 754/6800 system runs so good...i dont need to upgrade

but the e-p33n1s calls!!!!!!!

probably always a step or two under the fastest single core.. though i dunno how fast that will be.

I'll just assume.. 2.6 :D I like to be optimistic.. so I can somewhat have a solid roadmap on my upgrade endeavors :D

This is the reason I have waited to upgrade my main PC - DUAL CORE!

I am so excited! I have peen saving my pennies for awhile, now I can get a really great upgrade!

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400 here I come!

WOOT!

Dual-Core Opteron (U.S.) prices

source: PhysOrg.com

Opteron 865........$1,514
Opteron 870........$2,149
Opteron 875........$2,649

...still want that dual-core? :eek:

yeah, unless AMD wants to shoot themselves in teh foot up against intel, theyre a64 x2 prices wont reflect the opterons' prices

X2s have SSE3, so they are essentially two Venice or two San Diego (depending on cache) stiched together with a direct connect link, right? Does it make any sense for X2 to launch prior to Venice and San Diego being available?

This surprises me. I thought desktop DC Athlons were late 2005 parts?!?

I suppose this "launch" means nothing about availability.

In terms of pricing, in order to stay competitive, prices won't be extremely more than 1C equivalents. Comparing to $1,000+ 8xx Opterons tells you nothing about pricing for desktop chips. Single core 8xxx Opterons are $1,000+, and obviously 1C A64's are way cheaper than that.

As has already been stated, single-core chips will continue to dominate over their dual-core counterparts in the gaming arena (until multi-threaded games that is).

So if your a hardcore gamer wanting to upgrade, Venice is what you'll want to be looking for.

I personally am a gamer thus I am waiting for the Venice cores to make themselves available for us gamer folk to purchase. I'm going to get a 3200+ venice core and clock it all to heck with my Kingston Hyper X BH-5 ram :D

The article says that the mobo's out right now will be able to support DC with a BIOS upgrade. Does this mean that any a64 board on the market will be able to support these cpu's as long as that company puts out an updated BIOS?

Rasha said:
WTF, i wait all this time for venice and now they are telling me im going to be outdated a month after i get it? GAYYYYYYY... well okay not really because i do want dualcore but damn talk about upsetting because i can't wait another month without a computer i dont think
Thats why I kept saying wait for dual core....

Everyone was making comotion about venice... I dont understand how someone can get excited about the last revision to the core when a new core is on the way.

IF the X2's are based on Venice and run at the same frequencies as the 3200, 3500, and 3800 Venice, then wouldn't it be just as fast in gaming as those Venice-cores? (Not considering their overclocking ability, that is). Then, of course, the dual cores have the upper hand in multitasking and multithreading...

One thing not too many people think about, if you have a lot of overhead running while gaming, DC will help your gaming big time. (Antivirus, firewall, anti-spyware, STEAM?!?, IM, etc.) Gone will be the days of shutting down all the extraneous programs/services running in the background just to load up UT.....(like I do now).

All of those extras just taking up cpu cycles and making games hitch will be a thing of the past. :D

jebo_4jc said:
One thing not too many people think about, if you have a lot of overhead running while gaming, DC will help your gaming big time. (Antivirus, firewall, anti-spyware, STEAM?!?, IM, etc.) Gone will be the days of shutting down all the extraneous programs/services running in the background just to load up UT.....(like I do now).
Exactly.

When websites benchmark. They do it on a Freshly formatted system with Nothing running in the background so you get a "perfect world" sceniero.

Who does that? Honestly. Everytime you play a game do you format your computer to play it on a fresh system? No. You have things running like AIM, AntiVirus/ Anti Spyware, some use onboard sound which uses CPU cycles, DirectX has an overhead etc etc.... Dual Core will help in gaming IMO. And you cant say that Dual Core will Suck for gaming. Look at it this way:

Dual Core 2.4Ghz per core (2 cores)
or
Athlon FX55 (2.6Ghz) (1Core)

what would you rather have? even if you are a hardcore gamer I would still pick dual 2.4s... why?

Would you rather have 10 more FPS because of your extra 200Mhz?? or would you rather have Fast loading times, smoothness of a multitasking Machine? Still rock in games (last I known 2.4Ghz isnt slow) and still have all the added extras for Multi Threaded programs and the way of the Future.

So is the FX55 really worth it? 200Mhz? No... Dual Core is the way to go.

It would be different if the Dual Core Cpus were clocks alot slower, but whats 200Mhz less for a whole nother 2.4Ghz core?
Im done trying to sell dual core to all of you who are single core hardcore games who think that their 2.6Ghz single core is going to last a long time. If you bought it awhile ago, ok... but if you are planning on getting a single core CPU now, I will be the one to laugh last when in the near future your 800$ Single core CPU gets 1/2 the FPS in games I do with my Dual core in about a year.

mith said:
The article says that the mobo's out right now will be able to support DC with a BIOS upgrade. Does this mean that any a64 board on the market will be able to support these cpu's as long as that company puts out an updated BIOS?
yup. :D

Marine: dead on. i agree with you wholeheatedly. ;)

I completely agree and if what the article says is ture, I am so stoked. I just bought a DFI Ultra-D NF4 board and was kinda bummed knowing that dual cores was away from amd, but if this is ture omg the P4 is in some serious trouble IMO. If these are based on venice cores, I bet it will still O/C great. I would settle for two venice cores at 2.6GHZ and 512 L2 cache on each :) Ahh man summer is gonna be great. Dualcores + R520 ;) :D

Back