xbox, GC, PS2 on dell 2405fpw

did anyone of you try to use xbox, GC, PS2 (480p) on dell 2405fpw component input?

I am currently using 26" Samsung LTP266W LCD TV. The maximum resolution that this LCD can display is 1280*768 (native resolution).

This LCD perform really bad when i use 480p from game consoles. The LCD will stretch the display from low resolution source to fit 1280*768 display. This is really bad compare to 21" CRT 480p because CRT can perform really good with 640*480 while LCD cannot.

I m thinking of changing to 2405fpw instead of current samsung LCD TV.

Can anyone of you give me some suggestion? I really wanna know how 480p perform on this dell LCD 2405fpw ....... Thanks

My PC spec:
2x6800 ultra SLI
AMD64 3000+ winchester
1gb PC3200
audigy 4
ASUS A8N-SLI-DELUXE
ASUS VENTO 3600

I'm going to be doing somethng similar, I just ordered a 2005 FPW yesterday and I will be hooking it up to my xbox using my x2vga. Hopefully it'll look awesome with Halo2 in widescreen mode. If not I'll just go back to my crt and pu the 2005 on my Mac Mini.

I hooked up both my xbox and ps2 to 2405fpw through the component input while at the same time hooked up my dreamcast to the vga input using a vga adapter. All this was done for testing purposes since I already have an hdtv with all the consoles hooked up to it. Picture quality was quite acceptable at 640x480 considering 2405 is scaling to 1920x1200. You always have the option of using 1:1, but that leaves a tiny but super sharp picture in the middle of the screen. Some of the xbox games support 1080i and 720p and at that resolution the 2405 does an admirable job. Soul Calibur looked stunning running at 720p either scaled or 1:1.

i suggest you some how try and demo it. for me via component its great for both ps2 and and xbox. most 480p games i just use the fill mode to stretch across the screen. having said that most ps2 are 480i only or 576 if you have a pal console.

ninja gaiden @ 480p
ninja%20gaiden.JPG

gt4 @ 1080i

gt41080ismall.jpg

i for one am very happy with using mine for console games.

i made a topic for it but no one responded... but i was wondering if any of you have had any experience with component video switches? ive got an x2vga+ somewhere so it mostly be for the ps2/gc but i was just curious.

subrandom said:
i made a topic for it but no one responded... but i was wondering if any of you have had any experience with component video switches? ive got an x2vga+ somewhere so it mostly be for the ps2/gc but i was just curious.

Don't u get it? no one knows, duh :D

How do games look like connected with a composite or S-video? I have a new GC that doesn't have the Digital A/V output, so I can't take advantage of 480p.

subrandom said:
looks pretty good, and the price is right.

any one with experience with switches that support optical audio?

why not just buy an optical connection spliter, lets you connect to optical cables in one slot on you amp/tv etc

Yaka said:
why not just buy an optical connection spliter, lets you connect to optical cables in one slot on you amp/tv etc

well i'd like support for more than two devices, but that is probably the cheapest solution

buy GC component cable, playing games svhs port is not preety

He actually meant he has a Cube that doesn't have the the Digital output port to begin with. A while ago Nintendo removed the digital out on all manufactured cubes to save some cash, since apparently only a tiny fraction of users took advantage of it. (It doesn't help that you are forced to purchase the cables through Nintendo directly.)

I myself do have my cube hooked up via Component to my 2405 and it looks quite good. I also have a 32" CRT HDTV, and it does look superior on that screen, but the 2405 is close.

PKFGimpy said:
He actually meant he has a Cube that doesn't have the the Digital output port to begin with. A while ago Nintendo removed the digital out on all manufactured cubes to save some cash, since apparently only a tiny fraction of users took advantage of it. (It doesn't help that you are forced to purchase the cables through Nintendo directly.)

yeah that buying the cable only from them really kept me from getting one for a long long time, and would probably explain why only 1% of people own them... oh well maybe nintendo will take care of its higher end users with their next console....

Anyone have pics of games running in 480i?

And can you please post your thoughts on the IQ of games running in 480i?

only got ps2 games that are 480i.

getaway 2, games are 576i in the uk instead of 480i in the usa.
576i%20Getaway2.JPG

GTA: SA its the USA version so its 480i
GTA%20SA%20480i.JPG

Ghost in the shell: Stand Alone complex. again usa version of the game @ 480i
gits%20480i.JPG

hope that helps

I just capture 1 480i and 1 480p pictures from GC Naruto 3. But i dont know how to upload the files to this forum.

tencheenian said:
I just capture 1 480i and 1 480p pictures from GC Naruto 3. But i dont know how to upload the files to this forum.
go to http://www.1stclasspcs.com and click on "uploader" and then upload your pics...then, copy and paste the link to the pic to the "insert image" box on the top of a post form...you know, the form you type on to make a post...and then BOOM! instant picture. If you do it right...make the pic a JPEG though, otherwise you could kill some people.....

not sure, as 480i games on ps2 dont tend to had p modes, and on xbox 480p is lowest and 480i is none exsistant.

only game that comes to mind that do both is GT4 and the motion of aceleration is better on the eye via my usa copy at both 480p and 1080i than the uk which is 576i ( prolly same as 480i) . i also used to play Pro evo soccer 4 on ps2 up until i got the xbox version last week that at 480p looks better but not by much.

in both aspect and fill mode the games are gonna look a bit jagged (gta sa for instance, chronicles of riddick on xbox) on all 3 consoles. for me atm its perfect as last december my normal tv diaed and i was using my other dell 2001fp via svhs port for ps2 gamning and xbox via x2vga. the ps2 defo is better via component on this screen. i ended up geting a monster component cable for $25 off the usa ebay site. not bad when they are sodl here in the uk for £70 :)

i cant take GC screenies atm as my bro has it at his place atm

Hi all,

I bought this monitor to use with my Xbox, Gamecube, and HDTV PVR. I've had major issues with the monitor heating up and ruining the image quality the component input modes. Has anyone encountered the same issue? I've had this issue with two monitor now and am wondering if I just had bad luck or is the issue prevalent with this monitor.

The image quality is fine for 15-30 mins when the monitor initially turns on, but after that time horizontal transparent lines appear and the image wavers a bit. This can be relieved by turning off the monitor and letting it cool and turning it back on. Can anyone replicate this issue? Please let me know! This only happens with Component input and not the DVI-D input.

yung dai:

You should check out the other topic that's dealing with your issue here. One poster had this to say about it:

"I guess I should reply since I was one of the other users who reported rolling lines (after 20 min - 1 hr of use) on 480i/p component input. I RMA'd that monitor because it also made a loud whining noise after 20 minutes - 1 hour of use.

The new monitor does not make the dreaded noise, and it also has no problems on 480i/p component input. No rolling lines, even after extended usage. On 480i (i only - not p) against a white screen, I can sort of see some kind of faint flickering, but only when I'm right up next to it. I think what I'm actually seeing there is the interlacing.

So yeah, those rolling lines shouldn't be there.

Edit: Oh, by the way, the first monitor was a Jun 01 A01, and the new one is a July 01 A01. I don't know if that matters."

So it would seem going from that post that if you have that problem then it should be returned for replacement because the claims of that poster says it's perfect. I would be getting the RMA if it was me since his works. Stands to reason that if one unit is working OK that's the same exact model then something is wrong somewhere.

Hitek:

Could you please point me to that thread? I'd like to read more and document for Dell.

Yaka,

I was wondering, i have a ps2 hooked up to my Dell 2405 LCD monitor, via a Madcatz component cable, and i can get a 480i and 480p signal on Shadow of the colossus. Although my Ps2 doesnt want to give me 16:9 resolution for either. what is your setup for your ps2, and it looks like your stretching to Fit, not strechting to Aspect. can i see some Aspect screens of what you're getting? thanks.

Alim

yep, it was stretched to fit, gimme an hour while i go get the ps2 from down stairs

heh sorry dude got so into god of war again forgot about this last night.

anyways

Shadows of the colossus 480p fill

SoC%20fill.JPG

SotC 480p Aspect
SoC%20aspect.JPG

SotC 480p menu
Soc%20menu.JPG

SotC 480p 1:1 ( forgot to ad thsi is a clos up shop as its a dinky pic in the center of the 2405fpw)
Soc%201by1.JPG

only managed one God of War shot:)
GOW%20fill.JPG

god of war had jaggies but was not too noticable for me but i did have 2 small black borders to the left and right of picture in fill mode both games have jaggies but look preety good for me fill mode.

im not 100% sure this is true but i did read a thread some time ago that the new slim ps2's have better pic quality ones that the big chunky ones over 480p prog scan.

i thought my ps2 and gc games looked like crap on my 2005fpw. the graphics are alot smoother on tv. the graphics of gc and ps2 games look too pixely. plus there's ghosting. i am sure it's the same for it's bigger brother. just my opinion though.

dont notice much ghosting, but in shadows of the clossus, some times during the boss fights
i get a small black lines in pick, its only ever happened very few times and only with shadows of colossus. one more thing its best not to play games that are 480p close to the screen as you would for a pc game best to sit 2 feet away

actually i kinda sorted out my problem.

i realized that PS2 games arent truely running at 16:9, but have to be streched in order to do so. since the 2405 doesnt have an option to strech to 16:9, we get a 16:10 streched image for ps2 games, so slighting a little bit squashed.

my main question was whether or not the ps2 was spitting out true 16:9 signal, but i can see its not. thanks for your help.

ps, ive been playing colossus on it for a hwile, and its awesome. the problem with pixelation is that the ps2 has a low resolution, which is hidden by a tv. tvs are made to blur/filter out most of it, where as the monitor is meant to be used as a monitor. although it sstill does a decent job considering.

Alim

I think I'm spoiled, but I think xbox 480p looks like complete and utter crap on a 2405 fpw with Fill or Aspect mode. 480 scaled up on a monitor like that just does bode well. At the true res, however, it does look good. But small.

I have Halo 2, and it looked a LOT better on my HDTV than it did on the 2405fpw. No contest.

Javi,
the 2405 wont have the same filters/enhancements as an HDTV, as it does not truely support HDTV, but is capable of it. Its mainly used for an Awesome 24inch computer display, the rest or more of addins to make it a nicer pc monitor, and the cost makes it a great value as well. Ive seen the ps2/xbox on my friends 52 Toshiba DLP TV, and it looks really amazing, but pop a computer monitor on there, and its not gonna look as hot as the 2405 :)

no one got any experience with games/movies supporting 720P or 1080i(?), does it still suck or does it get standabal?

oh does someone have XVGA2+

oh, Im talking about xbox here.

1080i films look good on it

the x2vga is the same as component pic wise. there are very few xbox games that do 720p never mind 1080i. most are just 480p

when connected composite should it be with official HD kabels?
Also could there be big quality differences with different revisions with displays.

so X2VGA same quality as composite on all 2405FPW

Back