Project "Night Wind"

IceWindus

n00b
Evening gents, its probably been awhile since you've seen the Ice man in here. Been busy with alot of things in the real world and I just needed a time out all together from the FM community but im still around and yours truly has now begun the necassary steps for a brand new case project codenamed "Night Wind"

Recently its becoming more and more apparant that the blinging of cases over the years has started to get a little wain for me. Its sad, the most exciting and thrilling thing hobby i've done in years has started to loose its lust and desire. I remember how excited and pumped I was the first time I started browsing through forums look at peoples mods, seeing how they did stuff and walk throughs way back early in 2001. I"ll always remember surfing through the good old Virtual Hideout looking at all the incredible cases guys have made during the start of the great case modding times.

I rememeber how excited I was when I cut out my first window and how awesome it looked to see inside a working machine that I PUT together! The first time I cut out a blowhole, the first time I fired up my first neon light in the case, all the way to the very first case I ever modded, the Enlight 7237 case. And I remember the woops times, like the screw ups of incorrectly measuring blowhole cutouts, paint mishaps, poorely judged measuring, lost money and time and just plain bad ideas. But throughout it all, it was unmistakable fun!!!!

Now that i've gotten older and busier, I dont' feel as obligated to sit my ass down in front of my machine hours and hours at a time back in my DAOC days, I don't feel the yearning to be plunking down hundreds of dollars on a new case modding projects trying to outdo the "next Guy" who always comes up with something better anyway. Im getting a little tired of all the freaking noise of several fans in my case like a damn vaccum. And all lights with the major "bling bling" effect of a damn rice car sitting next to me.

I started to become increasingly annoyed when I come home from a noisey, busy and bad day and all I want is some peace and quiet while listening to some streamed music, download or surf. Instead of serenity, when I fire up my machine and I get a freaking whine of HDD"s, multiple fans blowing air with no rhym or reason and the constant glare of stupid LED's fans in my face when im trying to sleep at night through the $80 custom etched window to make my case that extra "special"

To be honest, those days of giving much of a care of how my case looks and compares with all the rest of folks out there, how different and unique it looks and how crazy I can mod something I think I pretty much over with. Im not longer inclined to wip out my credit card for some kinda extra "bling bling" part for my case which no one freaking notices except online. I no longer have LAN parties to go to show off my work and my work that I do show off anymore onlineis always either out done or i've come under the "Me too" spell and it doesn't impressive anyone anymore. Can't say that I blame them, I recently surfed through the Virtual Hideout case galleries and saw maybe 5 cases that had a unique or intriguing idea that caught my idea. Anything beyond that I saw the rest of the cases suffering from "Been there, done that"

The modding community has become too over saturated with everybody jumping on the bandwagon. Not only that, the freaiing companies are doing the same thing! I"ve never seen so many cheap ass, crappily made and ugly premodded cases in my life. I honestly don't know know a half decent DIY would consider purchasing some of the plastic garbage both in case and parts out there. But at the same time Im not surprised as the whole computer modding scene has turned into much how the ricer/import sene happend when "The Fast and the Furious" came out. We went from a small hobby of dedicated and talented car modders with unique and beautiful cars to now where "Joe Blow Rapper wanna be 16 year old" from High School throws a $400 spoiler on his $4000 green Dodge Neon because he thinks hes "In the scene" as a result of doing it when in fact, it makes him look like a complete utter reject and wanna be. And In many ways, the computer modding scene has turned into the same thing and I think many of you can agree with me on my viewpoint.

That being said, the IceWind has decided to give out his last effort in the modding scene. After this, I doubt i'll be doing much of anything in regards to modding and be moving on to other life ventures. As my patience with noise and lights has diminshed over time, I had a few plain but very serious objectives with this new project:

1. Reduction in all noise and vibration as much as possible

2. Elimination of unecassary lighting, wiring and cable managment for ease of use, upgrading and peace of mind

3. Windows are no longer desirable for both noise factoring and light output

4. Reduction in case size for ease in movement and desktop space

5. All airflow is to be achieved via 120mm low dba fans, no 80mm's at all and no unecassary, useless bling bling fans. Blowholes are no longer desirable as well.

With my ideas clearly laid out, I set out to first start looking for a case to build "Night Wind" upon. After going through a MAJOR investigation into SilentPCReviews forums, i've decided to ditch the aluminum cases to factors of reduction of vibration and resonation that results in having an aluminum case in comparison to steel. With the idea that NO 80mm's are going to be used, and that I wanted a reduction in case size and factor but have a very high quality, expandable and somewhat lightweight case. In the end, I returned to my favorite case manufactur that has built my some of my best cases over the years and once again, I turn to them to fufill my needs. I decided on the Antec Sonata for "Night Wind" to be built upon.

Further investigation has shown me the light in regards to how much vibration and noise can be transferred from HDD"s to the case which also entails the importance of Aluminum vs Steel. Due to aluminums lighter nature and the reduction in structual integrity, vibrations and resonation are greatly increased as a result of direct mounting of HDD"s to the chassis. The solution I have found to my surprise is to suspend the drives using elastic wire that will enable to the drives to be basically be suspended by a web of elastic cord that will absorb all virbration, motor noise and seek/access crunching has a dramatic effect in noise reduction from my research.

I've also come to the conclusion that Western Digital drives are by far the noisest drives i've ever come across next to IBM's. The high pitched whine WD's ball bearing drives will no longer cut it. As such, all drives will be replaced by 160gig Seagate Barracuda's

"Night Wind" will be the first case in my history that WILL NOT have a side window. Honestly, I no longer really glance or care about seeing my equipment lying next to me. As long as its doing its job quietly, I honeslty no longer have the awe inspiring wonder of looking into my cases. This will not only result in not having the damn glare of LED's fans, but this will also help in reduce sound output from the case as well.

The Sonata case will be heavily modified and dremeled to allow maximum passive airflow through the front intakes, therebye negating the purpose of having duel intakes and exhaust fans. Instead, I plan on allowing maximum airflow through the case through a combination of extreme wire tidyness, removal of case obsructions of airflow path with the dremel and using Coolermasters UV 120mm fam for both quiet performance and good airflow. These also will be foam insulated to reduce vibration into the case.

**** A special thanks to all the guys at Silent PC Review who made this possible with all their incredible ideas, input and suggestions to make this case project a success. Without them, this would not have been possible. If you YOU wanna know how to quiet your damn computer down, then these boys are the guys to ask!****

Phase 1. CASE ANALYSIS

Now that I have the case in hand, lets start by looking what were dealing with here....

Its obvious that Antec has made changes to the intake panel since the Sonata first launched proving that Antec listens to their customers suggestions and complaints. They have dramatically reduce the amount of both metal and plastic restricing the front intake grill area. Not bad, but we will make this better.

beforeintake1yn.jpg

We can see that the enlarged air intake holes help the case breath easier, but theirs still to muich in the way, half of these HDD cage rails will be dremeled off to reduce air airflow restriction
beforeintake27sn.jpg

I've seen some pretty restrictive grills on cases in my day and Antec definently knows better then to have crappy grills that cut off half the damn fans airflow. As such, many people are inclined to leave grills like this in place. However, a stock grill is a stock grill and not only is it asethsically unpleasing, its still producing back pressure. It has a date with Mr. Dremel to be sure

beforeexhaust3xl.jpg

These side panel intakes also are not very usefull in giving us a nice clean inlate for our air to flow through, again, Mr Demel will have something to say about this.

beforeside3lc.jpg

Again, you can see how much the side panel ducts restrict the airflow into the case.

sideintake4ht.jpg

The bottom intake has much to be desired also, it won't look this way for long

beforefront2ub.jpg

Due to the amount of air that will be flowing through the front intake, I decided against using a filter for 2 main reasons:

1. It will just constrict the airflow more and thats not good considering we won't be using a dedicated intakef an
2. Just another thing to clean up and it won't help the dust problem much.

befo4qr.jpg

Phase 2. DREMELING BEGINS

Ahhh, now were ready to begin the funnest part of any case mod project, the DREMELING!! Bwaa ha ha ha! Now lets cut this sucker and rebuild it, we have the technology!

Die evil stock grill, die!

grind8bf.jpg

grind25ih.jpg

Ahhh, now thats what I call a nice open intake panel!

betterintake7td.jpg

Plenty of room for both airflow and keeping HDD"s nice and cool in their foam mounted positions.

betterintake23fw.jpg

A mucho improved bottom intake

betterintake33mt.jpg

No more ugly side panels ruining our airflow

afterside3cy.jpg

Phase 3: PAINTING

Now probably the biggest test of my patience in any case mod project, the freaking painting. I dunno about you, but I simply wanna spray, wait 5mins and be DONE with it, he he. Sadly, not a perfect world so were gonna have to take it step by step.

First, I need to tape off what I DON"T want painted as well as cover the LED's with Petrol Jelly to keep them clean

paintprep1gk.jpg

And so begins the multi day boring project of spray, wait, spray, wait, spray, wait....

painting2zd.jpg

FUN FACT: Did you know that I have used Rustoleums Mettallic Blue Flake paint in every case mod project since 2001?

After several coats of clear enamel spray to give it a nice shiny finish, I let it sit to dry for 24 hours because working with sticky wet parts is NO fun *I've learned this the hard way

glossy0nk.jpg

excellent work so far. ill be keeping my eye on this project, as it is what i would like to do w/ my future desktop: reduce noise and increase airflow. :cool:

Phase 4: HDD FOAM MOUNTING

Thanks to the boys at SilentPCReview, I got some excellent ideas on isolating my drives from the rest of the case to reduce reverbaration. Reverberation is one of the most common problems with HDD's and computer cases, especially in the case of aluminum. Aluminum being a lighter metal, it does not absorb the vibration energy from HDD's as well as steel cases. Pair this also with the fact that Aluminum cases are much less rigid and you essential turn your case into a big amp when you directly attach noisey HDD's.

Needless to say, I wasn't gonna put up with it in "Night Wind" Not only did I ditch the gawd awfully noisey Western Digital drives for Seagate Barracuda's, but it was time to isolate those drives as much as possible from the case.

Using some cheap window insulation foam from Home Depot, a bag of 3/4" screws, washers and nuts, I had the ability to custom mount my HDD"s

foam0cw.jpg

What was very nice about this window foam, it already had a nice sticky bottom surface so I didn't need to futz with glue or any of that garbage. I doubled layer to compensate for the sinking/lower of the foam from the HDD"s weight.

hddfoam2qu.jpg

Afterwards, it was a simple matter of adjusting the bolts juuuuuust right so their was enough tension to hold the HDD"s in place, but allow the drive to jostle and move during seek and loading. This hopefully will dramatically reduce the transfer of motor/head noise into the case

foam23mr.jpg

Phase 5: FAN MOUNTING AND ISOLATION

Like HDD"s, fans especially have a nasty tendancy to transfer their motor and blade vibration into the case itself. This has been made apparanty time and time again in my older cases where the fan was simply "bolted" or "snapped" into place. This made for great and easy installation but my entire damn case vibrated and shook with the fans as a result.

Add to the fact that its an aluminum case and you can see why isolating the fans from the case is also very important in reducing noise.

Again, this foam is proving itself worthy in the war against noise. A simple matter of some foam to the fan mounting area will help solve this problem

foamy9fm.jpg

From the recommondations at the boys at SilentPCReview, I threw out my Vantec Stealth 120mm and replaced with a screaming deal, a Coolermaster 120mm UV blue fan. 43cfm at 23dba is pretty darn impressive for $8.

cooler1pe.jpg

To further keep the main fan isolated from the case, I used rubber grommets on the other side to help minimize transfer of noise into the case

grill2ws.jpg

Phase 6: PAINT COMPLETION AND LED REPLACEMENT

After *impatiently* waiting for the paint to dry, lets see how she turned out! Not to bad if I do say so myself! You can get a nice idea of the *glitter* effect that I like so much about this paint.

gliltter15bf.jpg

Nice and smooth me thinks :D

glitter23eu.jpg

Time to also swap out those gawd awful green and yellow LED"s for something nicer. Luckily Antec makes sweet LED holders that you can just pull the old LED's out and slide nice new 3mm's ones in

led2um.jpg

looks nice so far, I agree with you on the noise and "bling bling" aspect. It has come to were people think its cool to have a case that looks like it came from power rangers. That is why I like lian li, they have nice sleek designs, and you have no need to do much to it. I have never had a problem with noise, because my system is water cooled. Will keep on watching this.!!

again, very nice work.

im gonna keep a log of this stuff for my desktop. im gonna do some of this stuff to it to minimize the noise. heck, some of this stuff i never even thought of (foam on teh hdd) :D

Phase 7: CASE SKIN INSTALLATION

Now, as nice and beautiful as the stock Black Sonata paint is, its just...welll...boring. I dunno about you but I still liking having a little "spice" to my case instead of of looking at its yawn stock boring coloring. Thanks the awesome guys at PolyGFX I was able to get a nice, custom made case skin that would give "Night Wind" its unique look and feel, so lets get to work!

Not only will this jazz up the case but it will cover up those gay looking drilled Antec air intake holes in the side panels. Definently a major gripe with me and other Sonata owners out their. Luckily they have removed them in to Sonata II version of the case.

sideing10fg.jpg

After cleaning the case off entirely of dust and fingerprints, now began the tedious tank of checking my work once, twice and a third time to make sure I don't fuck up :D

side54yv.jpg

Yes Houston, I am triple checking all my measurements after I noticed it was at an angle!! ARRRGH! Thank God this stuff comes off easy, but not multiple times!

siding30op.jpg

Damnit Doctor, be careful or we'll loose him! *Well, maybe not, but I'll just plain be unhappy if I screw this up!* :p

siding26ta.jpg

This part by far was the biggest bitch and test of patience. Trying to cut all those little grooves, nicks and crannies without screwing up was a real test of steady handwork and patience. I hope I never have to do this again in the near future

siding45yz.jpg

Phase 8: EQUIPMENT AND WIRING

Phew, were coming near the end! Now at long last its time to rebuild the beauty with all her innards! Thank God for modular PSU's is all I have to say. The Antec Neo made it MUCH easier to work in the case without having to futz and shove all this extra wiring somewhere else.

I have to tell you that it was kinda tough to get used to a smaller ATX case after having several Antec/chieftec 1030 full size towers so I knew I was gonna have to get creative with the wiring. :D

Though this time unlike my other cases in the past seeings how I wasn't gonna have a window to gawk at my wiring, I wanted it to be clean and efficent and not impeded airflow so I didn't bother with fancy shmancy wire hiding

wiring1lk.jpg

The spanking new Barracuda's are nice and snug in their foam isolated home. Plenty of passive airflow from the rear fan along with the nice open intake panel in front will keep the drives nice and cool even under heavy loads. I used regular flat IDE cabling to prevent data corruption as my past HDD"s were starting to act *weird* with my cheap rounded cable

hddhome2ao.jpg

A system is only as quiet as the fans you use and the stock vans we get with our high end video cards...well...blow to be honest. They run to hot and they DEFINENTLY run to noisey. Thankfully, the awesome folks at Arctic Cooling have developed their NV series to not only quietly cool our video cards down, but it also directly exhausts the hot air out of the case! Besides water cooling, these suckers are the best way to keep your video card cool and quiet

nv59lc.jpg

A nice brand new black AeroGate 2 will monitor tempatures in the case as well as control my CPU and exhaust fans for optimal noise/cooling. Plus, it just looks so dang cool and you can change the knob colors on the fly!

aero8bn.jpg

IceWind said:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Man you must have been reading my mind. Great minds really do think alike. ;)
Might I suggest sound deadening for the panels and taping over extra holes around drive bays?
I know you aren't through so if you have it covered or have different plans just ignore the above.

I really like you've done with this case, you've used all of the quietest components and fans you can find and you've stuffed them into one case. Nice, also props to you for using foam on the hard drive trays, very creative IMO.

I also think you've learned a lesson from this... Vantec makes bad fans, lol =). I bought an 80mm stealth fan from them, thing ran really loud. So I threw it out and bought 2 antec LED 80mm fans. Ran much quiter and more efficiently =D.

nice job. the only thing i dont like is the skin, it would be more fun if you would paint the entire case

dude nice also may i suggest getting a ttgi/superflower psu with a 14cm fan those things are insanely quiet and very very powerful :D

cell_491 said:
dude nice also may i suggest getting a ttgi/superflower psu with a 14cm fan those things are insanely quiet and very very powerful :D

Nah, this Antec NeoPower throws out the wattage in a quiet like manner my man, it be cool ;)

Phase 9: Project Completion

At long last, after 3 weeks of construction, planning and building, project "Night Wind" is completed. I have to say its has exceeded all my expecations. I have NEVER had a computer running this quiet in my years in this hobby and I absolutely love it. I don't think I can ever go back to full sized wind towers from my yesteryears. Silence truly is golden!

Feel free for comments or suggestions. And yes, I WILL be putting a nice chrome Athlon 64 chrome badge in front when I upgrade to a Athlon 64 setup.

complete11gq.jpg

complete61ja.jpg

complete54cg.jpg

complete45pt.jpg

complete23qc.jpg

complete33np.jpg

Looks really good. I love silent pc's but for now mine will make noise as it is my only rig. Good job, and I like the skin to btw.

did u manage to slap on a 120mm intake fan between the front bezel and hard drive cage???

Negative, I didn't want the noise front an intake fan so hence why I hacked the front intake panel alot to allow maximum airflow using the rear fan to move most of the air. The PSU and the VGA NV5 also exhaust directly outward as well.

awesome mod, man I like the case design you chose. are you going to enter that any any contests or rig of the month anytime soon?

Kaiga said:
awesome mod, man I like the case design you chose. are you going to enter that any any contests or rig of the month anytime soon?

Lol, no, i'd get my ass kicked from people who build stuff from the ground up like Project 40 and Batman Begins projects. I no longer make stuff to impress the crowd like I used to, I do it for my own satisfaction and needs now.

Very, very nice job! The fruits of your labor have paid off quite well.

As a fellow Sonata owner, I say well done. Several of your ideas I also had fo rmine... just haven't had the time to do them yet.

Bravo!

pretty slick looking paint job there. fix that white strip on the cd though...sticks out too much. otherwise, nice job.

bored-sarcasm said:
pretty slick looking paint job there. fix that white strip on the cd though...sticks out too much. otherwise, nice job.

Its supposed to be white

is there any way a 120mm fan can fit between the front bezel and the hard drive rack? btw wat are ur case and cpu temps??

N H O said:
is there any way a 120mm fan can fit between the front bezel and the hard drive rack? btw wat are ur case and cpu temps??

Nope, the only spot is the otherside of the HDD cage. My temps vary depending on ambient temps in my room.

IceWind said:
Its supposed to be white

I agree somewhat...the white bezels look kind of goofy, especially when you already painted the frame blue. The door obviously covers it up, but if you already painted part of it...I think if you maybe took an extremely fine paintbrush and painted some jelly over the text on the trays it would look good (I'm thinking black, to offset the blue on the outside) if you colord them too.

You can easily remove the tray cover from the Plextor (I'm not sure about your other drive) for easier painting if that's your fancy. Most drives have easily-removable covers for some reason (they usualy snap on and off). My old Lite-On 48x CD-ROM did, my old 4x HP CD-RW did, but my 16x Pioneer DVD does not. Oh well :/

I'm just glad you didn't "stealth" your opticals. That really, really bugs me.

IceWind said:
Lol, dang, i've never gotten so much flack for my white benzel tray covers.
lol doesnt really bother me.....actually it does :p do u think its possible to fit a 120mm if the inner layer of the front bezel is shaved?

N H O said:
lol doesnt really bother me.....actually it does :p do u think its possible to fit a 120mm if the inner layer of the front bezel is shaved?

Fraid not man, simply not enough space.

IceWind said:
Fraid not man, simply not enough space.
damn this is bad news for me....i guess im juss gonna hav to install a 92mm....thanks for replying i appreciate it

Sweet project there IceWind. I also own a Sonata which was dead quiet until I decided to cut a hole in the front door. That didn't help cooling since air started entering in from the drive bay area, and so I started hearing more optical drive noise, and my hard drive got warmer than it needs to be since it wasn't getting as much airflow as before.

But then again, I filled that hole with a metal mesh, skull buckle and VFD, so I have a good balance of good looks/silence now. :D You can take a look at my project by following the link in my sig.

The most important thing when modding is to satisfy yourself, and not necessarily to impress others. Once again, kudos on a wonderful job!

Back