Amps - What does a computer pull

zatoman

Weaksauce
I have three computers in the same room in my house. My "handyman" neighbor questioned whether I was near the amp limit for the wireing in that room. I forget what he said the amp limit was (will ask him later), but was wondering if anyone knew how many amps a high end computer pulled. Thanks.

What do you consider to be a high end computer? Computers generally pull about 2-4 amps depending on load and what is in the computer, plus whatever the monitor draws.

jpmkm said:
What do you consider to be a high end computer? Computers generally pull about 2-4 amps depending on load and what is in the computer, plus whatever the monitor draws.

OK, maybe "high end" is vague and possibly overstating the fact. But my highest end is a 3.2E, 6800 GT, 21" CRT, 1 gig memory, 3 hard drives. Would that whole package pull 4 amps?

Tell your handyman to whip out his amp-probe and take a reading on the circuit when all the systems are running. The most likely answer to the circuit ampacity for your room would be limithed by the wire size (typically 14 AWG) that is protected by a 15 Ampere circuit breaker.

The amperage for the monitor will be on the back or side of the monitor. My 19" CRT draws 1.6A. The "high-end" system you detailed will probably draw around 4 amps. fully loaded (CRT not included).

another way to look at it:

550W peak PSU / 120 volts = 4.6 AMPS.

I'm building my new desk/workstation and only want to run off of one plug. So I am buying a APC rackmount unit that runs off of 220V. Cuts the amps in half for the same load. (Or in my case, double the load, same Amps :D ) And it comes with a 220V to 120V transformer unit. Going to hire an electrician to run essentially an electric range plug to my office and everything will run off of it. 30 AMPS at 220V should cover everything:

• 21" CRT
  • 2 x LCD's
  • 2 x 650W comps
  • 27" TV
  • Cable Box
  • Klipch ProMedia Ultra 5.1 system 9'er
  • Color Laser Printer
  • 6 x indirect light bars (~30W apiece)
  • 5 incandescent lights (60W ea)
  • 8 duplex plugs minimum
  • Scanner
  • 1 halogen track light thing
  • future NAS server
  • Untold peripherials
  • you get the point.

About 5900W listed there with everything at rated max load- at 220V that comes up to 27 Amps. 90% of capacity. Works for me. And that's at full tilt. Average load should be around 10 Amps at 220V. On powersave with all of the lights out, around 1 Amp at 220V.

Back