I made up my mind to go for CRT than a flat

Sweetnsexy

n00b
After all the research I have done and reading on this forum about flats I dont think a flat will give me true vivd colors as I would get on a crt. Since I have a SLI mobo asus a8n with two 6600gts I would like to get the best quality image to show justice to my mobo. I can use your advice on which best crt I should get. I did some research on NEC Diamond Pro® 2070SB-BK with SpectraView and the FE2111SB-BK . the pro goes for well over a 1k and the other one half of that. I was looking at the mhz and the pro has 350mhz. I just dont know using that technology would do my mobo justice. What I mean by that technology keeps changing and that monitor hasnt been updates for years now. I would liek to get something atleast 19 inch or more bu tot have the best possible vivd pictures and speed for gamming...

Any suggestions? I dont know if I should be spending high end if I am going to get the same quality in image so any guidance will be appreciated.

I'd say stick with a CRT if you have the desk space and don't move it around much. I move my comp around alot so i got a L90D+.

I feel i should clarify something. Vibrant colors are easy to come by on an LCD. The amount of color the monitor can display is another story. My L90D+ has very vibrant colors, but it only displays 256,000 (16.2 million dithered) colors as opposed to 16.7million on that of a CRT. This creates minor banding on gradients, but it un noticable in games. anyway, NEC CRT's are pretty much the best CRT out there, imo.

wise choice. CRT > LCD.

The lower the dot pitch the better

LunchboX3904 said:
I'd say stick with a CRT if you have the desk space and don't move it around much. I move my comp around alot so i got a L90D+.

I feel i should clarify something. Vibrant colors are easy to come by on an LCD. The amount of color the monitor can display is another story. My L90D+ has very vibrant colors, but it only displays 256,000 (16.2 million dithered) colors as opposed to 16.7million on that of a CRT. This creates minor banding on gradients, but it un noticable in games. anyway, NEC CRT's are pretty much the best CRT out there, imo.

thank you for your advice. sine you have a L90d and I was looking at that with conjunction of smasung 930B. your saying there is no real difference between them to a crt? hows the black issue of colors? and ghosting? what games your playing and what resolution? I tent to play on 1024*768 and thats on a 17 inch if I go for a 19 inch I would push that higher. can you tell me if your able to push it past that and play high end definition games like doom3 eq2 etc. do you experiance any issues?

your pros and cons would help

thanks

With dual 6600's I wouldn't worry too much about playing games at high detail and high resolution. I can make out doom3 and hl2 with my single 6880U.

I have a samsung 957mb and the dot pitch is .20 and its amazing. I love mine however there is some noise that comes from the monitor when on a screen with a lot of text. Thats the only downfall to this. If u have headphones or music playing then you cant hear it, im a bit of a freak though and it kinda bothers me.

cnick79 said:
With dual 6600's I wouldn't worry too much about playing games at high detail and high resolution. I can make out doom3 and hl2 with my single 6880U.

I dont quit understand what you mean. are you saying that since i have a dual SLI 6600gt I wouldnt experiance any issues on flats?

Sweetnsexy said:
I dont quit understand what you mean. are you saying that since i have a dual SLI 6600gt I wouldnt experiance any issues on flats?

All I was saying is whether you run an LCD or CRT at a high resolution and high detail you shouldn't have any issues with game performance. If I had a CRT I would push it to 1900x1200.

cnick79 said:
All I was saying is whether you run an LCD or CRT at a high resolution and high detail you shouldn't have any issues with game performance. If I had a CRT I would push it to 1900x1200.

so if I would get a flat lcd instead of a crt I would not experiance any color loss, ghosting, or poor color calibration? and thats if I get a 8 mili second response time 700/1 ratio contrast

It really depends on what LCD you get. A lot of manufactures "lie" about the specs. For example, sometimes a 16ms can have less ghosting than a 12ms. Same with ratio, they are not always accurate. I reccomend sticking with a CRT if your situation permits it. If you decide on and LCD, make sure you read as many reviews as you can on it, especially from more reputable sights. Also remember that LCDs have a native resolution, and if you play a game in a non-native resolution, it won't look as good in a lot of situations. Also remember to to look at one thing, but i can't remeber what it's called. It has something to do with 4-bit vs 6-bit (or maybe 6 vs 8) something or other inside of the LCD panel. It makes a big difference in the colors. Check out anandtech.com or tomshardware.com for some LCD reviews to get started.

Sweetnsexy said:
so if I would get a flat lcd instead of a crt I would not experiance any color loss, ghosting, or poor color calibration? and thats if I get a 8 mili second response time 700/1 ratio contrast

You're at the mercy of the LCD. Some LCDs vary then others. I suppose you could say the same about CRTs but they've been around much longer.

You sound scared to buy an LCD or you're a hardcore gamer. If you get a CRT at least do it right and get yourself a big ol' 22" CRT. If Sony still makes them, their Trinitron CRT monitors always had a great picture in my opinion. I've always wanted one back in the day.

cnick79 said:
You're at the mercy of the LCD. Some LCDs vary then others. I suppose you could say the same about CRTs but they've been around much longer.

You sound scared to buy an LCD or you're a hardcore gamer. If you get a CRT at least do it right and get yourself a big ol' 22" CRT. If Sony still makes them, their Trinitron CRT monitors always had a great picture in my opinion. I've always wanted one back in the day.

U guessed it I am scare to go for lcd and be so miserable with the quality in gaming. I gues have to get of hold of peopel that used lets say the 19 inch samsung 930b or even the hunda L90d and here what high end games they play and at what resolution.

Yea, definitely do your research and read as many reviews as possible. Your monitor will outlast many of your PC's so make the purchase count. The good thing about CRTs is they are fairly cheap and $200 for one is not a huge loss if your unhappy with it compared to an LCD.

MaMMa said:
I have a samsung 957mb and the dot pitch is .20 and its amazing.
That dot pitch number by Samsung is misleading. They measure it horizontally but since this is a shadow mask monitor, it should be measuread diagonally. It's still pretty good but it can't be compared to aperture grille if it's measured that way.

Nonetheless, get at least a .24. There's .22 for cheap. NEC's MultiSync FE1250+ pretty much owns the 21" monitor arena. Extremely sharp. Colors are vivid when it's new. But expect the brightness to dull out after 3 years of heavy usage. Any type of Trinitron / Diamondtron-based monitors are wonderful. Search for refurbished monitors. Save you some money and you get more than what you pay for.

-J.

OK I cahnged my mind again. I made a call to circuity city and I made them an offer that they cant refuse. I selected circuit city because they were sellign it the cheapest for a total of 422.99 pluss I get a 75 dollar rebate and I actually go them to send me a gift card of 50 bucks. How you liek that?

The way I got them to send me giftcard was I said I spent over an hour with you on the phone discussing specs etc. And since the store has a restocking fee charge how would I know if this monitor will perform the way I would want it to when playing a game? So after me sayign it repeatly he made a call to my local circuit city and they had the Samsung 930B in stock so they said it would be ok for me to bring my pc down there and test it all I want. Talk about kudos.....

its about 4:17pm and i leafe out of work at 5pm store is less tha 4 blocks form here and I cant wait to get my asss down there and see if this is going to work. versus the crt. I will elt oyu know what happens... Even though I can beat the price. its ont he web for $469 but as a web only deal they sel it at 422.99 and with a rebate of 75 which comes to $349.99 pluss I get a 50 buck gift certificate which make sit 300 bucks. Man I have to be out of my mind not to go for it.

I will le toyu know what happens by tonight.

cnick79 said:
on a 4:3 screen?

cnick79 said:
please explain how you will run a 1.6 ratio resolution on 4.3 CRT

and I'm assuming you mean 1920 x 1200, instead of 1900 x 1200

EnderW said:
please explain how you will run a 1.6 ratio resolution on 4.3 CRT

and I'm assuming you mean 1920 x 1200, instead of 1900 x 1200
He probably meant 1920x1200.

Truth is, any CRT with sufficient profile drivers can support any type of resolution. So if they have a program along with specialized drivers, yes they can use "1.6" ratio.
-J.

Arkanian said:
bump...waiting on you sweet
DAY 2

After last night’s frustration and headache I was going to return it this morning for a crt but when I woke up I had breakfast and said let me give it another try. When I powered it on first thing I did was put on my shades and I went on the monitor to set everything to default. Thank god for shades due to setting this to default its so bright that it hurts my eyes and I didn’t want to get another headache.

OK I started to play with the templates that it came with. I found one that I liked and it did lower the brightness level but it looked a bit foggy. I said hmmm this cant be right so wen I tried to do an adjustment from the template it wouldn’t allow me to. So I noticed that the numbers from each setting is different for each template so I wrote down the oen that I liked and went into manual settings and I placed in the same numbers for bright, contrast, vivid etc, then I started to play with the numbers to get something that agreed with me. I found a nice setting but I wasn’t satisfied. So I went to play a bit of everquest 2 to release some stress and let me tell you if it weren’t for EQ2 I think I would have made a huge mistake.

Let me explain, don’t know if you know how eq2 works but I was doing some crafting and I wanted to multi task so I had to change the screen resolution from 1280 by 1024 to 1024 by 768. I adjusted this using Nvidia (I am using 2 6600GT) instead of me going to the desktop and right clicking on it and selecting properties. Well I saw a setting there of adjusting colors. I said wait the brightness level isn’t the same as the one on the monitor. So I doubled checked it and opened the menu on monitor and when I changed the brightness using NVIDIA it made a huge difference. I was like shit I could have kicked myself in the assss for this. So now I said let me set everything to default again on monitor and started to play with the settings on the graphics card first then I changed some settings on the monitor.

RESULTS!!!!

I WOULD NOT GET RID OF THIS FLAT FOR NO MONEY…. I cant believe it I MEAN I REALLLLLY can’t believe the quality, the vividness, the textures, the colors, GOD, I am so excited, so blown away, that I don’t know what to do with myself. I am playing games and I see only sharp, sharp, vivid colors the way I like it that I have to write a thank you letter to eq2 because if I didn’t play there game today I wouldn’t have figured this out and I would have returned it.

People this is some monitor I am so happy with this that my headache went away. I played half life 2, WoW, Eq2, guildwars, sacrifice, Diablo 2 and I can’t believe that the colors and the richness blew me away compared to crt. I don’t see no ghosting no fading black is really black. I actually shut off the lights and watched a movie and it was rich I am so dumb founded that I would love to get a 22-24 inch one now but would like it to be in the same response time as this one. I would recommend this monitor to any hardcore gamer due to the fact I am a hardcore gamer myself and I love quality. This in my eyes is out of this world and I know me being a hardcore gamer you will be satisfied. GO SAMSUNG 930B

Is it just me, or...he ment about his Samsung CRT and not LCD

you looking to buy a 22" for cheap? i have to sell mine since i got a new desk.

How much? What kind? Model? How much has it been used? Estimated hours used up? Cosmetic damage? Current condition (brightness, color and sharpness), etc.

-J.

NEC MultiSync FE211sb, 22", been used for about a year, maybe 2 hours a day usage average (i dont leave it on), absolutly no cosmic damage, a 3 year warrenty (cost 200$),name a price

Wow, that's a great monitor. I'm considering it, but I already have two monitors. :p Perhaps I can get it for a friend. Where you located at (see if pick up can be possible).

-J.

I'm going driving down to QuakeCon on August. Also going to be sleeping around a Dallas hotel. Might pick it up. I'll get back to you.

-J.

alright quakecon is fairly close.. i dont think i am going there thought, when is it scheduled?

Back