looking for cheap soundcard > nforce4ultra onboard ~30-40?

cpush

Limp Gawd
Hey guys, I have heard the not so greatest things about the onboard ac97 that comes with the nforce4 ultra boards. I was wondering what soundcard could give me some better sound quality and relieve some of the stress taken on the cpu. Board would probably be a chaintech vnf4 ultra. How does this look? http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16829120103
(chaintech via envy)

I will mostly be using it for gaming, with some general pc music listening. It would be either through headphones, or some computer speakers (2.1). I will be using no crazy surround sound with amplifiers or other ridiculous sound setups. Just good old fashioned headphones or 2 computer speakers with a sub. Im just focused on adding a few fps to my gaming due to no ac97 cpu hoggage. (dont want to go with creative, been there done that.

thanks

edit: what about this compared to that chaintech via envy http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16829118106

That card has a great repuation, many people buy it over more expensive card simply for listening to music.

The envy chipset doesn't have any hardware acceleration, so gaming would be about the same as your current onboard. It does have much better audio quality though, especially for listening to music.

I think creative is about the only gaming audio solutions left. The latest Turtle Beach boards got mixed reviews, and the previous generation cards such as Hercules Game Theater or TB Santa Cruz don't have the audio quality of the newer cards. From what I hear, newer creative products aren't as bad as their reputation suggests.

Strictly with regard to sound quality, the Chaintech in high-sample mode gives better signal than Creative Audigy 2 cards. Your Audigy can do EAX stuff and yeaild a bit better gaming performance, but with a nice processor and video card, the effect is really negligible.

so it is worth 25 dollars for the chaintech envy, or should i just settle with the ac97, again headphones and simple 2.1 computer setup for casual music listening

another question.. how does the Realtek ALC850 compare the ac97 or is the same thing?

A more important quesiton is what is your listening device? Not just headphones or 2.1 speaekrs, but which in particular. If you don't have a decent listening device it won't matter if you upgrade brom onboard to the chaintech.

honestly I am less concerned with audio quality and more concerned with optimal cpu performance, I will specifically be playing hl2 and cs:source, where CPU is KEY. The less strain put on it while playing the better.. that is why I am considering alternate sound devices.

get teh chaintech then...the cpu diff. wont be much compared to a creative card..probably 1-3 fps...or shell out a bit more for teh audigy 2 zs..

cpush said:
honestly I am less concerned with audio quality and more concerned with optimal cpu performance, I will specifically be playing hl2 and cs:source, where CPU is KEY. The less strain put on it while playing the better.. that is why I am considering alternate sound devices.

Then get the Audigy 2 Value.

Back