i can hear HDD noises, and mouse wheel scrolling through speakers

MATTRESS

Gawd
i think i remember reading a thread about this in the past ... well it's happening to me now LOL

specs:

antec true430w
biostar m7ncd pro mobo
athlonxp-M 2500+ @ 3200+ (i have tried stock speeds, and i also have tried the regular athlonxp both at 2500+ and 3200+)

2x256mb and 1x512mb ram sticks
radeon 9800 pro
sound blaster audigy 2 zs platinum

it's wierd, when my HDD is accessed, I can hear funny whining noises through the speakers, also when I scroll with the mouse wheel...

Disconnect the analog cable that connects the CDROM drive to the card and throw it in the trash.... if that doesn't help (or if it's not installed) move the card to PCI slot furthest away from the video card.

Here's a good starter...go buy a shielded extension cable(s) (from the PC to the speaker's input wires) for your speakers 6 feet long each should suffice. This will move the unshielded cables away from teh PC, which is a HUGE source of noise. Try to keep it away from the USB/PS2 cables, just to be sure.

Oh, and no analog cables anywhere inside your PC....use digital everything going into your card...only analog cables should be on back.

Also start muting mixer sources you don't use.

I dont know if this will work for you...

But I was getting the same noises...Also a Athlon 2500@3200 on my A7N8X

But all I did is put a APC UPS 600va on all the Power plugs..and it stopped the annoying problems...

No more sound problems..Yay...I guess the problem was with Unclean Power..

Somehow the UPS cleaned the Power...and thus allowed no more Mouse scrolling squeaking through the speakers..YAY!!

If you are already using a UPS..then I dont know what to tell ya...It worked for me..

A audio Enthusiast told me that it would fix my problems ..and sure enough it did!

I hear those weird noises also, but mine comes from the case it self. :confused:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMEN MY BROTHAS!!!!!!!!

....sorry, but I was waiting for a very long time to do that :p

So, having never really had this problem that much, what are the FAQ-worthy solutions? I feel that they should be low/no-cost solutions, because they are easiest for people to try.

MisterX said:
Disconnect the analog cable that connects the CDROM drive to the card and throw it in the trash.... if that doesn't help (or if it's not installed) move the card to PCI slot furthest away from the video card.

mustang_steve said:
...muting mixer sources you don't use.

Do these meet with general approval?

sure, just mention iun with the analog cable, that windows 2000/XP both support CD-Audio over the IDE cable, so an analog cable on the drive is really just uneeded.

1.) Not using an analog cable from cdrom to soundcard
2.) SoundCard is in lowest possible expansion slow

I still get "grinding" noises when I scroll webpages. :(

nevets said:
1.) Not using an analog cable from cdrom to soundcard
2.) SoundCard is in lowest possible expansion slow

I still get "grinding" noises when I scroll webpages. :(

Do you still get the same noise if you scoll using the arrow keys?

I've seen something similar to this before due to a sharing of resources, dunno if it'll help but easiest way to check is Device Manager \ View \ Resources by connection \ expand from the IRQ tab. Nowadays, most PCI devices ver 2.1 (I think) or above should happily share resources without problems, but in certain configurations you can still have issues.

With most motherboards coming loaded with onboard hardware, firewire, gigabit nic and onboard audio etc you will generally find any PCI cards you subsequently install can be sharing IRQ's with an onboard device. Manufacturers such as Asus do provide an IRQ table in the manual, which helps getting it right 1st time as PCI slots can be hardwired and different from motherboard to motherboard. What maybe be a free PCI on Asus could be shared on an Abit.

For your particular problem, I'd look for soundcard sharing IRQ's with USB or alternatively if your running your drives from a 3rd party controller Promise/Highpoint etc check thats not sharing with your soundcard.

Couple of things to avoid are gigabit NIC's sharing with soundcards, these babies can chew up 30% of your cpu cycles. Same thing goes if you use a PCI gigabit card, try finding a slot where it doesn't share with sound/graphics. Last but by no means least, SBlives sharing with anything... (okay, there's a little sarcasm in there)
But after reading this review and more specifically the performance section, I was horrified to find that my soundcard could do away with nearly half of my cpu's power in certain scenarios. Obviously with todays powerhouse PC's this type of problem would be reduced significantly, but there are people who still use and play games on slower machines (its time to get rid of that sblive ;)). Disable any unused Serial Ports, LPT Printer etc (if you don't use em ofc)

If you get totally pee'd off, you could just move your cards around around as the odd's are alot better you'll find the right slot than winning the lottery. Of course, if you don't have any PCI cards all this probably won't help you. :(

Anyways, think I've waffled enough already, you've probably got your problem sorted and in the pub having a pint (typing is a skill I've yet to grasp :()

Hope ya get it sorted, I know it'd drive me crazy.

Ok, I may well be well of the plot here but here it goes... Is the machine overclocked at all? I had a problem with an old mobo that the PCI lock wasn't working so I was overclocking my soundcard and it used to make well funky sounds. Just a thought!

it's a Logitech MX300, I got the same sound when using a MX510 Blue and MS 3.0 Alienware Black

I was getting the same thing, IC7-Max3 w/an Audigy. Locking the PCI bus fixed it (I wasn't overclocking either).

Back