My quiet evaporative cooler (pics!)

dcswd

Limp Gawd
Well ive been looking at evaporative coolers for a while and I finally built my own. I thought the bong coolers were nice, but they seem like they make a lot of noise, so I decided to go with this.....

evaporative1.jpg

evaporative2.jpg

evaporative3.jpg

It uses parts of a drip irigation system with 20 risers, wrapped in cleaning wipes. The water goes up the towers and down the wipes on the outside. Ive been using this setup for two days so far and it is working really well. I am considering adding more risers though.

Temps:
25C or under idle
30C load

Room humidity has been around 40-45% and the ambient temp has been around 20~ to 23C~. My idle temp is about 3 degrees above the ambient temp. This is all on an AMD 64 3400+. All fans have been turned off or are running at 7 volts now so its much quieter.

Hope you like it lol

You need to toss some ice into that bath, crank your Vcore, and do some extreme overclocking.

ICE! good idea. lol. I put in all we had just now (not too much) and it got down to 13C idle, 18C load (hl2dm on high settings). lol. I need more ice though. It seems to be melting pretty fast. Water is starting to condense around everything though so ill have to back off a bit.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=282327&page=1 This is what I used to base this project off of.

Great to see somebody apply this principal of cooling.
Does use a lot of water,no. ;)

Again, great job.
thumbup.gif

Grtz

how do you filter the H20 to keep it clean?
I'm guessing it gets dirty pretty fast, no?

with enough of those and a tad bit of wind couldn't you conceivably get the temp below ambient; because of the evaporation?

Yeah... I need to add a filter on the intake but I havent found anything good yet. That is the plan though. In the short time running, it hasnt gotten too dirty so far, but I have seen a few little specks of random stuff floating in there (dirt and so on...)

I think you could get the temp below ambient, but it would need more airflow or more risers maybe. I am thinking of adding more risers in the future. It seems like most bong coolers can go below ambient temps and this uses the same principle.

Ill have to post later on how much water it is using.

Yeah... for the ice... lol... no more condensing for me. Nothing got damaged on that little run. I might still use ice for minor cooling, but not as much next time. :D

dcswd said:
Temps:
25C or under idle
30C load

Friggin Sweet Man!

Are these temps water tempurature or CPU, what?
Also, do you have a comparison of just a radiator on your system to see what diffs in temps it has? I am interested to see the difference between the two.

the reading is from the motherboard sensor for the cpu (mobo: MSI k8t neo2 (not platinum)). I dont know what I get with a radiator :( This is my first jump into water cooling. I am mostly doing it to have less noise.

I used to get around 35C idle for air, and up to the high 40s for load. Some where around that. So its a pretty good drop. The only problem now is that with running all of my fans at 7 volts, the general system temp gets much higher, so I need to turn the noise up for games and so on.

if you had more pumping capacity, i think that a window box would be a pretty good way of dealing with all of that humidity. you'd need some pretty aggressive filters, but hey.....it would look kind of neat.

I think that's pretty cool. It's amazing what we'll do to cool our comps.

Couple of questions though...

If your looking for cooler temps why not have a small fan blowing on your risers?

What would happen if instead of individually wrapping your risers why not have all of one row in a kind of 'pocket' wrap? That way you'd have all the surface area in between the risers to help you cool even better.

That coupled with the fan would get you sub-ambient temps I bet.

I've always been tempted to make a bong or evaporative style cooler, but the fact that you need to refill it often has always turned me off. I'm a college student...what if I go somewhere and don't get to filling it up? The whole thing would fry...

I suppose you could always get an extra large res, though :)

Very nice and innovative setup you have there though. Hats off to that.

It looks like your temperatures are great, too.

maybe one day if I get bored, i'll do something like this, lol, this looks highly amusing and cool I think. Question though, can you add a lid to the evaporator area or will that not work?

KrakenGuy said:
maybe one day if I get bored, i'll do something like this, lol, this looks highly amusing and cool I think. Question though, can you add a lid to the evaporator area or will that not work?

You cannot. An evaporator dissipates the heat in its fluid through evaporation of that fluid. If you closed the evaporation area, the system would no longer work.

alright... I finally got to recording how much it evaporates...

Measured out, the container is .445meters by .334meters.
In 4.5 days, the water height changed by .03meters.
So Volume = Length * Width * Height gives us...
.445m x .334m x .030m = .0044589m^3

which I converted to be 1.2~ gallons per 4.5 days.

Back