Newark action!

(cf)Eclipse

Freelance Overclocker
All right, I just got this in today, and ran some tests comparing my 3200+ clawhammer to my 3700+ newark with both at 2.0ghz, same settings for ram.

I tested the msi k8n neo platinum first. it booted with bios 1.6 with no problem. was at 2.4ghz, and 1.36v in the bios, which makes me think it defaulted to 1.4v instead of the 1.35v it should have been. One quirk to be aware of: I didn't see any option for Command Rate in the bios, and it defaults to 2T. once in windows, i switched to 1T without a problem and managed to run windows memtest for a while until i decided 1T wasn't about to kill anything ;)

next up, then main rig's mobo, the dfi lanparty ut-nf3. it booted at 200x4 and .9v at first. i manually set it to 200x12 and 1.35v. curiously, i got a raid detect screen before getting into memtest. slightly confused, i went back to the bios and loaded optimized defaults, saved, then went back in and set everything i needed to set. it works!

here i have some screens of the core in operation
(i especially like the "venice" label given by CBID!)

onto the benches. same settings, same board, same ram. everything. only difference is the cpu and voltage :D
everything was done at 200x10 with the ram at 1:1, 2-2-2-10 timings (basically, the same exact settings in the bios) and with no programs open aside from what i was using to bench. you will see that the newark is consistantly faster, though a very small amount, which goes with all the other testing done on the revE cores :p

first up, we have the everest memory benches. i took the average of three runs. i can't quite figure out why read and latency are better, but write went down a bit. :confused:
bandwidth.png

latency.png

(continued due to silly limit on pictures! :eek: )

then, 3dmark05. i ran the bench twice and recorded the score the second time.
3dmark.png

a very old a ghetto benchmark called Final Reality.. i find it amusing. reminds me of doom2 somewhat :eek:
final-reality.png

and lastly, something more real-world, converting a set from DJ Pi from mp3 to ogg vorbis. the song is 1:13:16 long
music.png

i should have some prelimary oc'ing at stock voltage tonight, see what this thing is capable of doing

(cf) OVERCLOCK THAT CPU! i cant stand waiting any more! i like how you show the difference between 90nm and 130nm, inadvertently as it may seem, you are. i cant wait to see this thing in some real newark clocking action!

Me either man, me either. ;) I've been kicking him to see what it'll do on stock volts since he got it.....I think he just likes teasing us 754'ers. :D

The last word I got from him on AIM was 2.5GHz on stock voltage....but I'm sure he got way past that. ;)

yeah, 2.55ghz is good, but i need a new bios. ram that's not in slot 1 = suckage :(
running 512mb of ballistix now. see if i can't do any better. i think 2.6-2.7ghz if feasible on stock voltage ;)

So memory in slots two or three errors out on overclocking from the 1.6 bios? Strange...maybe it's the memory controller? Did you try just two sticks instead of three?

nah, this is on the dfi. i don't think i'm even gonna bother oc'ing the neo, remembering how it was with my ram. at least that booted at 200mhz and did 1t without a problem.

and this is with two sticks. dropped down to one for the time being.

Ahh, the good ol' DFI. But why are two sticks being stupid? I really wanted to know the limit on two sticks with the Newark's memory controller. :(

i don't think it's the memory controller, but the bios. something wasn't tested as thoroughly as it should have ;)

2.4GHz....1MB cache.....1.35v.....SSE3.....yeah, I'm jealous. :p Either way, if you could test that in your Neo to find the top end of the memory controller I'd be very grateful as my claw's limit sucks....even tho it crap's out around the same time I think CAS2 does.

i would, but i really don't feel like swapping back to the other board. :(

good news, 2.6ghz is stable with stock voltage, but weird stuff happens when i push it more.. i'll figure out what's going on, but first, i have to do my laundy ;)

Be sure to mail that to me once you find it's limits so I can run a few quick benchmarks with it, and send it back on it's way......oh, and I can do some extensive Neo testing as well. :D

So on 1.35v and decent cooling (not like you had in the winter) you can run at your highest clawhammer screenshot....imagine the winter possibility. :D Also...how much voltage do you think it can go up to safely? 1.45v? 1.5v? I'm sure 3GHz is in your future.

Im curious, whats the BIOS voltage limit for the CPU reading out wit hthat CPU? dose it lower the max voltage with it in there...

nope, the dfi still lets me go up to 1.55v without using the % increases. the k8n neo was the same, but 1.5v = 1.36v actual, so... yeah. haha

curious note, transitions from stable to unstable are harsh. i know that if it fails prime, i have to back it down, and fast, or it'll bsod on me, unlike my clawhammer where i typically had another 100mhz left in the core before anything bad happens.

Are you not going to tweak the voltage eclipse? Sweet cpu btw, your in FX-57 range now, right? :)

nah, i am. the thing tops out at 2.7ghz with 1.4v, i'm trying 1.45v right now up to 2.75ghz.

this is probably the "slowest" i've ever tried to oc a cpu though.. jumping 1 htt = 12 mhz, and the cpu just scares me. hahaha, i'll definitly be able to do 2.8ghz though :D

nice!

I thought you were poor like me? Man I'm so poor, burglars break into my house and leave me money.

Guess you got your Summer financial aid check before me. :p

Its not polite to ask people how they got their money to upgrade is it? So whats your temps like so far? Noticable difference in gaming with the new CPU?

nah, tenchi's cool, he can ask. i magically managed to dig up 350 that i figured i'd try to work back and save up over the summer again. it works

temps are cool. 2.7ghz and 1.45v (i have more left at this voltage) give ~35-36c load with 22.5c room temps.

also, i magically got the ram working past 210mhz. i think the extra voltage helped, as that's the only thing i changed :confused:

That 12x miltiplier scary, eh eclipse? ;) Gotta love those high multis....and to think an FX-57 would have 14MHz per HTT raised. :eek: C'mon eclipse, let's see 3GHz. :D

Makes sense, as the CPU voltage is also fueling the memory controller...

i wouldn't know what to do with an fx that has funn multi control. haha, probably just try to run 25x150mhz or something equally silly. too bad the board technically doesn't go under 200mhz :rolleyes: :D

ash: i tested the same thing with the memory controller on my clawhammer.. it did the same thing, but not to the extent i'm seeing here. i think something else is coming into play.. maybe an incompatibility at a certain frequency? i know that with one stick, i couldn't do between 210 and 225mhz on the neo.. i don't think that bug effecting the dfi though. never really checked, but i'm pretty sure i would have noticed if it was the case ;)

7718 said:
Its not polite to ask people how they got their money to upgrade is it?
no worries, me and eclipse are boyeez...I call him "Big E" for shorts....cuz thats how we rollz :p

Don't believe me, here's me an Eclipse at da' mall scopin out da' hoes

mall.jpg

{cf}Eclipse is on the left and I'm on the right (yes, I'm a firefighting german sheperd)

Me thinks me will be spending my financial aid money on a San Diego....

hot, i'm a pimp yo!

tenchi, the 3700+'s seem to be doing pretty well. fortunately you'll probably get a while before upgrading, thus have a better idea of the market when it's time to make the plunge :D

just out of curiosity, how many of you here have gotten this error in prime95?
"error: illegal sumout"

it seems to be rock solid at 2.75ghz with 1.45v, but i get that error.. 100 of them to be exact. i have nooooo idea what's going on with it :confused:

edit: i posted at 7:54. word :cool:

(cf)Eclipse said:
i wouldn't know what to do with an fx that has funn multi control. haha, probably just try to run 25x150mhz or something equally silly. too bad the board technically doesn't go under 200mhz :rolleyes: :D

If I'm not mistaken, even tho they have upward unlocked multipliers, I thought they stopped at like 15x for 3GHz being the highest internal clock, but I could be wrong as that's just what my CPU says (somewhere, forget where it says that), but yeah, if you could drop the HTT to like 100MHz i'd have all sorts of fun too.

omg omg omg omg bbq... Where have you gotten the Newark? </jealous>

Edit- Also what is HTT? Seems like some AMD thing, I am royaly confoosed!

My threat worked eh?
I am purchasing a DFI Lanparty UT NF3 250gb tomorrow with a Sempron 2800+ 256Kb cache, gonna do some overclocking too...
Hopefully I hit 2.6ghz, everyone else seems to hit 2.6ghz easy with that chip.

C'mon Eclipse, hit that damn 3ghz, I'll smack you, hard, in the face, ouch.

mak, for all practical purposes, HTT = FSB ;)

and i have a feeling that i won't quite be able to do 3ghz stable. a screen should be possible though :cool:

for the time being though, have fun with this (yes yes, i haven't made any progress in an hour! sorry guys *hides*)
2750.PNG

(man, i love that logo)

(cf)Eclipse said:
mak, for all practical purposes, HTT = FSB ;)

and i have a feeling that i won't quite be able to do 3ghz stable. a screen should be possible though :cool:

for the time being though, have fun with this (yes yes, i haven't made any progress in an hour! sorry guys *hides*)
http://www.freewebs.com/cfeclipse/2750.PNG
(man, i love that logo)

Sexy logo indeed, I guess I can't wait to see the Sempr0n logo?

makshim, i love your sig! "In soviet russia, graphics card overclock YOU!" Im thinking you could change it up everyonce and awhile to like "In soviet russia, motherboard overvolts YOU!"

^^ indeed it does.

and i apologize for taking so long to get any further, i've got some things to attend to ;)

Back