static problem

Desolate

Limp Gawd
i have a static problem with my pc, when i come home somedays when i touch the case of the pc i get a static shock and the pc restarts, i know this is really bad and i want to know what i should do, my pc is on a carpet and i'm looking to get something to put it ontop of like a peace of wood or something. Does anyone else know what i should do... please help

This is my case:
http://www.xoxide.com/v-tech-x-focus-7105h-black.html
My pc specs:
ASUS K8V SE DELUXE
CORSAIR 1GB ram
THERMALTAKE Silent Purepower W0014RU 480W Power Supply
AMD Athlon 64 3400+ 800MHz
CELESTICA ATI 9600XT
SEAGATE 80GB
WESTERN DIGITAL 80GB
WINDOWS XP SP2

Check your motherboard and make sure it isn't grounded. Something is grounded in your case that shouldn't be.

I'd say your PSU or mobo is pulling a Michael Jackson (touching something it shouldn't).

S1nF1xx said:
Check your motherboard and make sure it isn't grounded. Something is grounded in your case that shouldn't be.

I'd say your PSU or mobo is pulling a Michael Jackson (touching something it shouldn't).

i'm looking at my case and nothing is touching the case, but i'm noticed how my mobo is connected with theis stupid metal clips, pics below, can theis be the problem because then this case sucks and i hate it.
Picture001.jpg

Picture0022.jpg

just take a piece of foam thats used in mobo boxes when packaging mobos, and stick it behind the mobo. thatll prevent the mobo from shorting on the case.

i had to do that w/ my friends pc, due to his craptacular case. just line the foam up w/ the mobo, insert mobo w/ foam, take a small screwdriver and poke holes into the foam where the standoffs are. then just screw down the mobo. if its shorting on the case, that should prevent it from happening.

also, S1nF1xx, i think you mean that the PSU and mobo shouldnt be shorting, not grounding. you want the mobo and PSU to be grounded.

S1nF1xx said:

How did you reach that diagnosis?

i tried grounding the case to something metal and that didn't work well, my next try is to ground it actualy under ground. i also have a video of me touching the pc and it resarting after i walked on the rug, i'll try to host it, for you if anyone can host it for me that would be great and you could be able to view it faster.

Correct me if I am wrong, but as far as I know, the case should already be grounded thru the PSU and power cord.

Desolate said:
Here's the prorblem on video. Might have to open the link in IE.

I'm sorry you're having problems, but I think the video is really funny. The dejected look at the end really makes it.

Anyway, what external switches and controls do you have on the machine? A power switch and a reset button? Wht else? Anything running outside, like USB and FireWire connectors?

I'd try disconnecting them and then trying to reproduce the problem.

Also, do you have an outlet tester? Have you tested the outlet where your rig is plugged in to see if it's grounded?

heres the first thing you shouldve done: remove all the components from the case, and then started it up using the basics. then get back to us....

mikeblas said:
How did you reach that diagnosis?

Mostly just a wild ass guess. :)

But since he's touching the case, getting a shock, and the whole thing is turning off, it seems kinda suspicious.

I would bet it probably has to do with faulty grounding on the outlet and the static charge is causing the PSU to overload. Like I've witnessed with my own PSU, when it overloads due to a short, it'll just shut down.

From a site:

Another way to ground the static electricity is to touch the internal metal frame of the computer's case while the computer is plugged into an electrical socket. The static electricity will be discharged and grounded as the electrical circuit is grounded via the AC outlet.

I'd imagine if it was something directly related to the motherboard contacting metal, his motherboard would probably be dead now.

It's possible it could be a faulty PSU, but I don't know...

edit: if you check your outlet and the grounding is fine, then i would do like what that other person suggested... i would strip apart the computer and check it without the motherboard. Try leaving just the PSU in the case, and hook up a small 12V fan or something. Try doing the static touch. If the fan dies out, and comes back, then you know it's a PSU problem (seeing as the outlet is fine). I wouldn't power up the PSU without anything hooked up though. Old PSU's would blow up if you ran them with no load, all new ones should be just fine with no load. I wouldn't just to be safe I guess.

Oh, and for heavens sake if you plan to do ANYTHING on the inside of your computer...
Don't wear socks
Don't rub your feet on the rug
and wear an anti-static band! :eek:

Opps! I think I might be wrong... I watched the video again, and I noticed that what looks to be a lighted fan on the top of the case never goes out. I thought the *whole* computer lost power. Maybe it is something with your motherboard :confused:

Matrox462 said:
Opps! I think I might be wrong... I watched the video again, and I noticed that what looks to be a lighted fan on the top of the case never goes out. I thought the *whole* computer lost power. Maybe it is something with your motherboard :confused:
yes it just restarts.

have we removed all of the parts out of the pc yet? until you remove everything and try again, we cannot determine whether its the mobo or PSU.

if the problem persists, it could still be either mobo or PSU, but we know that theyd be bad and not shorting. you can then use spare parts/computers to test the mobo and PSU.

SJConsultant said:
Correct me if I am wrong, but as far as I know, the case should already be grounded thru the PSU and power cord.
Along those line, is the PSU grounded @ the wall outlet? Is there a functioning ground on the outlet the computer is connected to?

ok well i took it apart from strach, and took it all apart everything out, re wired everything neater and still static restarts my pc. Sad i have no other idea, i took that rug and just stored it in my room and untill my mom noticed and took it back. any other brilliant ideas?

i fixed it, i'v walked on the rug and my pc doesn't restart, i took a wire raped it around the grounded part of the psu cord then took the other end and taped it to the area i was touching it and it works fine!

Phoenix86 said:
Along those line, is the PSU grounded @ the wall outlet? Is there a functioning ground on the outlet the computer is connected to?

This will be telling. We're still waiting for an answer to the outlet test.

Desolate said:
i fixed it, i'v walked on the rug and my pc doesn't restart, i took a wire raped it around the grounded part of the psu cord then took the other end and taped it to the area i was touching it and it works fine!

Sounds like you have a ground problem that you need to find a permanent and safe fix.

Can you elaborate a bit more on exactly how you hooked up this ground wire? Pics would help greatly.

well i wraped a wire around the grounded part of the psu cord, pluged it in, then i have a wire taped right onto the area where i touched and the pc would restart. i'll try to get some pics in

Holy COW!!!

From what I've read you definately have a grounding problem from you ac source, in other words the outlet your plugged into. It's either no ground at the outlet, or more likely, a bad psu cord, with a bad, grounding conductor or termination.

Which end of the cord did you wrape the wire around? The male or female? PLEASE, disconnect this setup until you know exactly what the problem is. Try a new cord first, and if you're still having problems check the outlet for ground, or if you aren't sure how, have someone that does do it for you.

That wire is dangerous, it can short out at the outlet, hot to ground short and arching and possible fire, or if there is no ground there, worse yet, energize the case at 120 volts. Ouch

CableUSA3pintoIEC.jpg

just like that and i stuck the plug in, the wrapped wire is kinda on the top of it and is not really inside the outlet, because this is the only way i can help it from restarting from the static and alot of people told me to do this, but never said it was very unsafe. static and regular grounding won't do anything, only if lighting stuck it there would be a fire. i think i'm fine

oboyco said:
Holy COW!!!

From what I've read you definately have a grounding problem from you ac source, in other words the outlet your plugged into. It's either no ground at the outlet, or more likely, a bad psu cord, with a bad, grounding conductor or termination.

Which end of the cord did you wrape the wire around? The male or female? PLEASE, disconnect this setup until you know exactly what the problem is. Try a new cord first, and if you're still having problems check the outlet for ground, or if you aren't sure how, have someone that does do it for you.

That wire is dangerous, it can short out at the outlet, hot to ground short and arching and possible fire, or if there is no ground there, worse yet, energize the case at 120 volts. Ouch

He said he attached the cable to the ground prong on the plug (the third middle prong I'm assuming). If that's what he's doing and it's fixing the problem, then like you said, it could be a faulty PSU cable, or a faulty PSU all together.

I too wouldn't do this either... I'd rather have my computer reboot then risk fire with custom wiring near the outlet. What if someone didn't know what you did and unplugged and plugged your computer back in and as a result it moved the wire and it caused a short.

static and regular grounding won't do anything,the grounded part of that wire does nothing but ground static, no electricity goes though it, only if lighting stuck it there would be a fire. i think i'm fine, and no one else uses this puter but me, i know what i'm doing

Desolate said:
just like that and i stuck the plug in, the wrapped wire is kinda on the top of it and is not really inside the outlet, but is this really unsafe? because this is the only way i can help it from restarting from the static and alot of people told me to do this, but never said it was very unsafe.

Disconnect the ground wire and start trying to figure out where exactly your grounding problem is. What you have setup there is unsafe, very hazardous to your health, and fire hazard.

Desolate said:
static and regular grounding won't do anything,the grounded part of that wire does nothing but ground static, no electricity goes though it, only if lighting stuck it there would be a fire. i think i'm fine, and no one else uses this puter but me, i know what i'm doing

You just don't understand the ramifications of "rigged" ground you have there. The whole attitude of " I know what i am doing" when your obviously bypassing normal safety measures and taking a serious risk of electricution or causing a fire is unsettling at best.

i think its fine, its just grounding the case, the case needed to be grounded, i might try and use another psu cord or something but i think this works so its fine

Desolate said:
i think its fine, its just grounding the case, the case needed to be grounded, i might try and use another psu cord or something but i think this works so its fine

Do what you want, but you've been warned by people who have far more experience than you when it comes to electrical and fire safety.

Desolate, I'm an electrical contractor, and I can tell you this is extremely dangerous. If that plug gets bumped and the wire you have wraped, just barely touches the vertical prong on the plug above the round one, you WILL have short circuit and fireball. Hopefully the breaker will trip and there won't be a fire. And it will only take a millisecond for this to happen. Take my word on this.

It can't be that difficult to replace the the cord can it? :)

Please keep us updated, and take that wire off immediately. I'll be happy to walk you thru this problem and get it taken care of properly.

thank you for your support, but will a new wire really help? its the case, everytime static touchs this case it restarts my whole pc, how would a new cord just stop the static off the case, something has to ground my case.

The purpose of a ground is to "drain" the static electricity, ie. to discharge it safely away from your case and components, among other things. The cord has a ground wire in it thru the round prong on both ends which when plugged in, grounds your case. If the ground in the cord is broken or no good then you have no ground to your case, and hence nothing to drain the static other than the components of your pc, which may be causing the restarts or worse.

I think you have proven that the cord ground is bad by the fact you "replaced" it with your new wraped one, and everything is ok. In other words you just grounded your case with the new wire. The case MUST be grounded properly thru the cord, and by no other means.

Are you having a hard time finding a good cord? Just try it.

Desolate said:
thank you for your support, but will a new wire really help? its the case, everytime static touchs this case it restarts my whole pc, how would a new cord just stop the static off the case, something has to ground my case.

Ideally, your case should be grounded through a path like this:
Ground (water pipes, copper plate, whatever) -> house ground wiring -> outlet -> mains cable -> PSU -> case .
Obviously, something along that path is failing. If adding a wire that essentially goes outlet -> case helped, the problem is obviously between those two, and the most likely (and cheapest) alternative is your mains cable.

i jsut got a new psu cord and that didn't do anything i still shocked the case and it restarted the pc, i dont think my pc can handle getting shocked to death anymore, if i do it anymore i dont think i'll have a pc, so fuck it, i was told to ground the case like i did and that seemed to work so i'm sticking to it.

Oh well. If you ever decide to look into it, the problem is probably either
* The ground wire doesn't connect right inside the PSU, or
* The PSU is insulated from the case.
(I guess.)

i have no idea, i was talking to a friend about it last night and he was telling me how grounding is weird, i know its not the cord, becasue i tried 3 cords and i never had this problem before with my other pc. Unless its the whole psu

Don't give up yet! This tells me that

(1) the male ground prong on the psu is not making contact with the psu itself, or

(2) your psu is not in metal to metal contact with the case.

Check and see that the psu is screwed to the case. Other than that I would probably need to look at it, could be you need a new psu. A continuity test between the psu ground prong and the case is in order. You are making a big mistake if you insist on leaving it as is, and I won't go into this any further with you. I'll check back later

Back