Windnoes Trix

Carnival Forces

Supreme [H]ardness
hey guys, i just found out (probably everyone knows this, since i'm stupid, but whatever) a cool Windnoes trick.

if you have a box folding on Windnoes (i know this works for XP (i use pro) don't know about other OS's) go ctrl+atl+del

then navigate to the "explorer.exe" Process (click the Processes tab) and kill it.

yes, your desktop (icons/start menu) go away (your background remains)

however, you can still run everything of your desktop!

just go to File / New Task (Run...)
and type in the shortcut name

for instance, i want to start firefox, i go File / New Task / "Mozilla Firefox.lnk" (.lnk is the shortcut extension)

i want to run steam File / New Task / "steam.lnk"

etc. etc. ....the explorer.exe process isn't really needed (unless, i suppose, you start browsing your file system, i.e. going to C:\pr0n or whatever...)

this freed up like 19k+ memory on my system..just thought i'd share...

so yeah, the purpose of this thread was, does anyone know of any other non-essential processes we can end?

like wtf is svchost...

and why are there three copies of it? (local, system, network service) :confused:

I dont think this has anything to do with DC...

shouldnt it be moved to OS's?

KodiakStar said:

It has something to do with DC, cause he is asking how to free up cycles.

;) i know.. I just wanted to see what you would say. :D

you seem to be following me around..

KodiakStar said:

He's trying to free up cycles......

ERM... NVRMND... beat to it.

Go into services in the cpanel and you can kill (and then right click and disable) the following and you probably won't notice a diference in how windows works but help with the ram usage:

WIndows Time
Help and Support
Wireless Zero Config (unless you have WIFI on that box)
Messenger (do this anyway)
Themes (unless you MUST have pretty XP themes)

If you have a SoundBlaster live after an ALT-CTR_DEL you can kill CTHELPER.exe it sometimes goes nuts and uses 100% CPU

Other processes to kill if you have certian apps
ghoststart (Norton Ghost service)
DKservice (Diskkeeper service)
WinampAgent
MusicMatch agent (can't remember the process name but it's useless)
IpodService and iTunesHelper (both put on by Apple with Itune but not really useful unless you have an Ipod)

If you guys have more feel free to add to the list.
like wtf is svchost...

and why are there three copies of it? (local, system, network service) :confused:
Don't feel too bad, I've got 6 copies running, not sure why.

chileman said:
svchost.exe is a system process belonging to the OS which handles processes executed from DLLs. This program is important for the stable and secure running of your computer and should not be terminated.

Ya, I know about the service, but I really don't think windows needs 6 copies, really folks!

ive had more then that sometimes... i kill them all off. they come back on their own..

kinda like moose...

KodiakStar said:
ive had more then that sometimes... i kill them all off. they come back on their own..

kinda like moose...
:D

The OS will create as many copies as it needs.

Just thank the M$ OS development team for that. Another flawless M$ product eating away at PC resources.

512k memory is more then anyone will ever need... :rolleyes:

so lets make this thing called svhost.. and make sure thats all they have free... ever..

kinda like moose...
Odd how he always comes back, just like those enlargement SPAM email I get even AFTER I order a box! You'd think they'd get the point, I already have enough!

chileman said:
Odd how he always comes back, just like those enlargement SPAM email I get even AFTER I order a box! You'd think they'd get the point, I already have enough!

QFT :D

chileman said:
:eek:

chileman said:
Go into services in the cpanel and you can kill (and then right click and disable) the following and you probably won't notice a diference in how windows works but help with the ram usage:

WIndows Time
Help and Support
Wireless Zero Config (unless you have WIFI on that box)
Messenger (do this anyway)
Themes (unless you MUST have pretty XP themes)

If you have a SoundBlaster live after an ALT-CTR_DEL you can kill CTHELPER.exe it sometimes goes nuts and uses 100% CPU

Other processes to kill if you have certian apps
ghoststart (Norton Ghost service)
DKservice (Diskkeeper service)
WinampAgent
MusicMatch agent (can't remember the process name but it's useless)
IpodService and iTunesHelper (both put on by Apple with Itune but not really useful unless you have an Ipod)

If you guys have more feel free to add to the list.

i've got WiFi so can't disable that, i alreayd had messenger disabled (of course), the others look interesting though...thanks!

to KS: dude, you are like the thread-hijacker-supreme.

naw thanks though.. thats Moosey's title already...

I am just here to help.

i wonder how much faster you would fold depending on which version of ms os you use..

Carnival Forces said:
also disabled Error Reporting

That reminds me, kill System restore too (sys properties > system restore tab) it will usually open 2+gb on your HD and also save a few cycles and improve startup/shutdown time. I've never had system retore work for me so I find it useless.

chileman said:
That reminds me, kill System restore too (sys properties > system restore tab) it will usually open 2+gb on your HD and also save a few cycles and improve startup/shutdown time. I've never had system retore work for me so I find it useless.
i limited it down to 2% of my C:\ drive (i have other partitions that it's disabled on) that's 200MB (won't go any smaller)...

...should i really disable it all together?

That's your call, my main system's been stable for a year (knock on wood) so I don't feel a need for it. Ask during your next call to Miss Cleo, bet you'll get ALL the answers!

Time to don the flame retardant gear....

If you want the biggest way to save resources in windows....

Run Linux! dunud-da! :D

Actually if you really wanted to, couldn't you just run in a command shell and let the console roam free that way, reboot to upload?

p[H]ant0m said:
Time to don the flame retardant gear....
LOL

p[H]ant0m said:
If you want the biggest way to save resources in windows....

Actually if you really wanted to, couldn't you just run in a command shell and let the console roam free that way, reboot to upload?

Don't think it will run like that, but it's an interesting idea. For my dedicated boxen I have just about everything disabled except a copy of VNC to monitor them, and I'm using less then 100mb of ram so I'd say that's pretty barebones.

Windows only technically needs 12 processes to run... but then you'd be in safe mode with no network.. add 4 more for with networking and FAH running.

p[H]ant0m said:
QFMFT

How about DOS? If you had lan drivers for it (shudder) you might get better folding performance...

dont know why phantom is pushing linux...

he is out buying more macs... :rolleyes:

c:\
c:\dos
cd:\dos\run

You'd have to make sure you had himem.exe and EMM386 and the such going to use your higher memory blocks and finding LAN drivers for DOS for newer NICs might be tough, but to be honest I bet it'd be less system demanding than linux and no worries of ANY security flaws.

the biggest trick is getting f@h to work in dos mode... 98 is the lowest it supports.. err.

im sure there is a way around it though

"based"

its all about making an already good computer fold better

not trying to make an old one limp along..

or making a new one try to be something its not..

Well I am not positive, but I believe that if you started NT in command line only, all of the dependencies would be active, at least for F@H. The kernel has to start fully so I would think as long as its on the c:\ drive barring any SATA drivers it would work.

EDIT: Just checked, and there are no dependencies for F@H, so in theory it should work.

KodiakStar said:
"based"

its all about making an already good computer fold better

not trying to make an old one limp along..

or making a new one try to be something its not..

If you want to see a box fold fast ( or faster then windows ) run linux and swith to " init 3 "
\
:eek:

p[H]ant0m said:
Well I am not positive, but I believe that if you started NT in command line only, all of the dependencies would be active, at least for F@H. The kernel has to start fully so I would think as long as its on the c:\ drive barring any SATA drivers it would work.

EDIT: Just checked, and there are no dependencies for F@H, so in theory it should work.

maybe ill try it on a box tonight...

/sidetrack/at lunch heard on the news there is a new super computer out.. the size of a dorm fridge with 94 microproc's in it... mmmm. 100k$ though

Back