Overclock a P4 laptop?

Will this machine be using the battery often? Or will it stay plugged into a power outlet?

Personally I would not suggest OCing a laptop.... Especially if it is a P4 laptop..... And even more especially if it will be on your lap....

Given the size of the heatsink that will be in that thing, I don't think it will go very high. But hey if you try let us know how high you get it....

I'm would like to know for curiosity sake ;)

just about the only thing you can do is pull either the BSEL0/1 (cant remember which right now) so that the MB recognizes teh chip as a 533FSB chip. seeing as how the processor already has a multi of 24, i doubt it will remain stable, as 133x24 is 3.2ghz, which would be a feat at the 1.3vcore rating that chip holds.

edit: is it a p4-m, or a p4?

I never overclocked the CPU, but I've overclocked the 5200FX Go before, and never ran into heat problems. CPU may be a different story though.

Either way, I wouldn't recommend it. I did it, because I'm an idiot.

heat isnt really the problem, at worst the laptop would just have the fan running more often. i doubt the core can take that kinda clock speed, and im willing to bet tehre isnt a software overclocking util that will work, hes stuck with teh pinmod.

well, tomorrow when i get the laptop, i am going to overclock it, lets just hope that i don't fry something. i will keep the room cool and i will monitor the temp always. thanks for your help guys!

leptoon said:
well, tomorrow when i get the laptop, i am going to overclock it, lets just hope that i don't fry something. i will keep the room cool and i will monitor the temp always. thanks for your help guys!
um... how?

you do realise there are no overclocking controls in the BIOS, right? and that there is probably no version of clockgen written for that laptop, right? and if you do the pinmod in which you rip the pin off (the BSEL0/1 pin) and it doesnt boot your pretty much fucked, right?

there are many MANY overclocking progs for laptops, i will try a few of those

unless there is one written specifically for the clockgenerator in that laptop, they wont work. the one that H-Oda wrote has been dead for a good 5 years now, and clockgen doesnt support laptops. what otehr ones do you know of?

i can also try SoftFSB or CPUFSB. they are programs, i just need to get my laptop to try them on, lol

softFSB is H-oda's that i was talking about. it wont work, it hasnt supported anything for years, and as he stopped working on the project in the p3 days. i dunno about CPUFSB, but looks like something you have to buy, a google search warrnted me "free trials"

do what you like, but i dont think its worth it. unless you ahve a D1 revision chip, its not going to go much higher.

that, and i dont think it will work - try the trail first if you are really gung ho on doing this.

Back