When are the first LED backlight LCD's due to appear on the market?

KillDFurby

Limp Gawd
As far as I'm concerned that is the one thing I am waiting for to switch from CRT's to LCD's.

If color fidelity can reach that of a CRT by using LED's then I'm all for it.

This is just a guess, but I think we'll see SED displays before we see LED backlights. I don't think the technology is there yet for LEDs.

mitsubishi showed a prototype 23 inch panel last year which is why I asked

http://www.creativepro.com/story/news/21355.html

Target Specifications of the 21.3-Inch LED Backlight LCD Display Prototype:

* LCD: 21.3-inch LCD with dual domain in plane switching
* Lumileds Lighting Luxeon DCC - RGB LED Array
* Dot pitch: 0.27 mm
* Resolution: 1600 x 1200
* Color gamut: 109% Adobe™ RGB (104% to NTSC)
* Brightness: 190 cd/m2 @ 5000K - 9300K (Calibrated), 220 cd/m2 or more @ 5000K - 9300K (un-calibrated)
* Contrast ratio: 500:1 (typical)
* Input video signal: Analog VGA and Digital DVI

Target Specifications of the 23-Inch LED Backlight LCD Display Prototype:

* LCD: 23-inch LCD with IPS (In-Plane-Switching)
* Lumileds Lighting Luxeon DCC: RGB power LEDs
* Adjustable white point from 3,000K to 10,000K by changing back light illuminating ratio
* Resolution: WUXGA 1920 x 1200
* Color gamut: 101.3% for NTSC
* Maximum brightness: 608.0 cd/m2
* Built-in automatic calibration system for keeping stable white point and brightness
* Bi-directional communication function (DDC/CI), which enables remote control from PC to monitor

ah i fucking love google news

look what I found:

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20050418PR200.html

Q: Last year NEC-Mitsubishi demonstrated a prototype of an LCD monitor with an LED backlight at CeBIT. This year we saw this monitor again at NEC-Mitsubishi’s booth at the trade fair. How far are you from commercializing this technology?

A: Two years ago, it was a technology demonstration behind closed doors. Last year it was actually a prototype. This year we are launching the product. The shipments will start this summer.

article dated April 19, 2005

Yes they look at interesting monitors.

But a very interesting technology is missing, NCD.
Ntera is one of the leading developers of this Nano based monitors. It looks interesting,
www.ntera.com
It may seem as a bold venture as they want to make monitors like the current LCD's. Furthermore they focus on ultra thin and flexible paper like screens.

This would be nice, my 2005 gets pretty hot, and it causes backlight bleeding at the top.

Back