3 ghz 630 to 4 ghz P4 EE in a Dell !!!

A similar mod can be done to get a Dell inspiron 530 with Q6600 to run at 3 ghz. Like hearing about people OCing the dells so keep the results coming

I purchased a 9300 about a week ago and learned about a mod that allowed a 400 mhz fsb to be forced to 533 and gave it a try with the happy result of a 1.6 ghz at 2.13 ghz. I had also bought a dell 8400 (knowing it had the 925XE chipset and supported a 3.73 ghz EE) with the ambitious goal of trying to take a 630 to 4 ghz by forcing a 1066 fsb. Will in the 9300 one pin had to be taken from H to L to get 533 I think Bsel1, the funny thing is after looking at the white sheets for the P4 the exact same mod takes 800 mhz to 1066 on the 2 mb version P4 processors. At first I was going to try to solder a couple points under the mobo to ground Bsel1, but unlike AMD mobos, the contacts don't exist underneath the mobo. So scratch that, and a U shape mod would definitely not work on the socket 775 processors, so I had my sisters husband solder a connection between Bsel1 and Bsel2 to ground it on the processor and bam 4 ghz and so far it seems completely stable. The one thing if any1 tries this is to make sure you put the motherboard back in correctly, if it is not locked into place the system won't start up (there was a period of about 5 minutes where I thought I had killed it). I never thought I would be saying this but man Dell's rock

Holy crap that's sweet. I'm going to be purchasing a 9300 soon. So you said that you simply bought a 1.6GHz Pentium M and overclocked tto 2.13 on the same voltage and it's completely stable? I'd imagine the board could handle the extra 133MHz on the chipset, but a 533MHz overclock and no stability issues? Wow. How'd you do it though, I'm intrigued :D

check out notebookforums.com (in the dell 9300 part threads "cheap processor upgrade" and "picture guide to blah blah" for the mod, the one thing you have to do is buy a 400 mhz fsb pentium M, but yes I think 1.6 to 2.13 ghz works about 100% of the time, while above that there is significantly less success 1.7 to 2.26 is maybe 75% and 1.8 to 2.4 hasn't been done on the 9300 although it has been done on other lappys, one more thing not only is it stable at 2.13 ghz its stable at 1.2 V's at that speed :)

this seems like quite the freakin intense mod, i wonder if it applies to other prebuilt p4 755's with the 925XE chipset.

hey eclipse, could you tell me a good program for taking pics, and let me send you the pics, I'm really a newb at posting pictures

ok print screen is in little letters on F13, so I should hold down the option button right and then hit print screen -- where does the picture go?

ok press print screen button, then go into microsoft paint, and paste the picture there. then save it as a JPEG or PNG, they are smaller sized and best for screenies.

screenshot.jpg

wow dell coming through in the clutch. impressive!

most impressive! :eek:

that's the first oc'd dell i've seen since my p2 266mhz @ 300, i heatily congradulate you :D

I'de also like to see if your multi is 12x or 16x for your PM. The dell site lists the 1.6 as a 533fsb cpu. Every reference I find online lists the PM 730 as a 533 also.

You have to buy a 400 mhz variant, you can't do it on the stock processor for the 9300, look at notebookforums.com many people are doing that mod and its really not much for a dothan to run at 2.13 ghz. On the other hand a 630 at 4 ghz is nothing to sneeze at :)

Just wanted to say I've successfully modded a 630 3.0ghz CPU into the 4.0ghz EE as well, thanks to Socrilles17 for his help :D

I'm willing to buy a motherboard and the 630 chip to do this, but unsure of whether it's possbile. Anyone know the motherboard type/model in this dell (8400)?

its just a plain dell, you just need to short the right pins, like with the old mobile axps. you just need a mobo that can support a 1066 fsb, and youll be fine

Why are you running PAE on a box with only 512MB of ram?

From Microsoft's Q article on PAE:

Windows 2000 Advanced Server, Windows 2000 Datacenter Server, Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition, and Windows Server 2003, Datacenter Edition, can use PAE to take advantage of physical memory beyond 4 GB.

04SVT said:
Why are you running PAE on a box with only 512MB of ram?
From Microsoft's Q article on PAE:

I think it's enabled by default? It was on mine once I installed SP2, although you're right, it probably won't get used until 4GB+ are used.

Wouldn't something like this wreck havoc on your ram?

Also, can someone post a step by step guide with pictures? I have no idea what the OP is talking about except that I really want to try this out :p

When I bought my dell 8400 I upgraded to the 533 fsb ddr2 so that the divider would be 1:1 at 4 ghz. However I'm about 99% sure the motherboard has dividers so that it won't hurt your ram at all. What is going on is your tricking the mothreboard into thinking the processor is a 1066 fsb Pentium 4 EE chip and not an 800 fsb p4 6xx series chips, so all the dividers on the mobo just adjust for a P4 EE chip. I am still debating whether to take the processor out to take a picture.

It really is a simple mod if your comfortable with a soldering iron

Nice! But why the hell is AOL running on the tray!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I haven't uninstalled any of the programs that came shipped with it...so there is stilla bunch of crap

Sorry for resurrecting this thread but although I had decided against doing this mod, I just can't get the idea out of my head. Now I know there is no point doing it with my 650 as that yields a 4.5ghz OC requiring research into a voltage mod too, as well as better cooling probably, but as Socrilles said his 630 OC to 4 ghz is 2 instance prime stable on stock air and cooling.

A 630 costs about €230 over here. Is it worth that to go from a 3.4 650 to a 3ghz 630 OC'd to a 4ghz EE in effect. Will I notice a differance ingame (have an X850XTPE) or will the only difference I see be in benchmarks ie 3DMark05.....and does anyone want to buy my 650! :D

Lastly have we ruled out a conductive ink pen being an alternative to solder?

spiritguide21 said:
Just wanted to say I've successfully modded a 630 3.0ghz CPU into the 4.0ghz EE as well, thanks to Socrilles17 for his help :D

I would like to note that it is in fact still just a Pentium 4 6XX chip, and not an EE chip. Even though the specs seem to line up, there is a difference between the 2MB prescotts and the 90nm EE chips. IIRC its cache latencies or something.

If you're testing stability on a P4, you want to run two instances of Prime Small/Large FFTs.

p0tempkin said:
If you're testing stability on a P4, you want to run two instances of Prime Small/Large FFTs.

Well I'm taking Socrilles word for the stabilty but I trust him.

After some hard thinking today I've decided to purchase a Dimension 9100 with a 3ghz 630 instead.

Reason being that our old Dimension 8200 (upgraded last year to 2.8, 512ram and 9800pro->XT) is getting a LOT more use than anticipated. Our families internet and gaming/online gaming usage has expanded to fill the extra PC capacity so to speak! Its struggling with BF2 and WOW etc The 19in CRT monitor that came with it is dying and needs replacement anyway.

This way we get a new PC and monitor as the new secondary PC that can do the games justice, I get to swap the CPU's, putting the 3.4 650 in the 9100 and the 3ghz 630 into the XPS and OC it to 4ghz. (after a month or two obviously to rule out any warrantee issues on the 9100).

The old secondary PC (8200) gets relocated to to tertiary/thirdary?? :D duties as a pure internet browsing machine. Will pick up a bog standard 17in Dell flat panel for it.

As for why I am going Dell again! Small buisiness account discounts and the abiltity to put a Dell through the business and claim VAT (Irish Sales tax) back!

I also realised that the 9100 uses the 945x mobo that supports dual core. Missed the boat by 2 weeks with my XPS gen4 and the launch of the Gen 5 that ships with a 955x so me Gen4 turns out to be a bit of a future processor upgrade cul de sac. Now with a 9100 I get imediate benefits to my XPS, get a new secondary PC that can do current games justice and when games and programmes arrive in a year or so that take advantage of dual core, I can pick up a super duper pressler 4ghz+ dual core :D and pop it into the 9100 which then becomes the primary gaming system.

To anyone who successfully did the mod? Did you solder the BSEL pins together on the CPU or did you solder the contacts in the CPU socket??

I've been trying to connect the two BSEL pins using conductive paint but it's still showing up at just 3GHZ.

Also, I assume the BIOS will display 4GHZ and 1066 FSB if successful?

your gonna need a TINY thin piece of speaker wire, like just a strand, connect the holes in the bottom of the cpu, or on the socket, im not sure what you'd do, but then it should be like, BLEEP BLOOP 4ghz'd!

If I understand this right, according to Intels datasheet I will need to either place a small piece of wire around pin H30 to G30, or insert a U shaped piece of wire into the same socket of the 775 to get 4 GHz? Someone really should post a guide for this. Its easy to look at the notebook one, but someone needs to post one for the p4 630.

jmsandrsn said:
Thank for the reply.

Did the BIOS indicate 4GHz and 1066 FSB?

Fortunately, I am now able to answer my own question. It looks like the BIOS only displays 3GHz and 800 MHz FSB however once I get to the desktop I checked system properties and sure enough it read 3.99 GHZ. At least these are the results I get with a Dimension 9100 (I would assume the Dimension 8400 would do the same thing).

Too bad it won't even run a single iteration of Prime95 though. It will run 3DMark2001 without any problems though. Hopefully it just needs some more voltage. I would try manipulating the vid pins to increase the voltage but I first need to know what the default voltage is on the CPU. Does anyone know of a Windows based program that will tell me the default voltage. If not, then it looks like I will need to buy an LGA775 motherboard since most after market boards (especially overclockable ones) will tell you the default voltage.

I actually was able to connect the pins together using conductive silver paint that I had bought at HighSpeed PC (http://www.highspeedpc.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=SilverPaint ) If you try this silver paint then the biggest piece of advice I can give you is to shake the bottle very well before using. If you don't, then there are very few silver particles in what you're spreading on. I simply used a pointed tooth pick to apply. I'm not sure how permanent it is. I was able to remove it from the CPU about an hour or so after applying but I'm not sure how easy it will be to remove after several days, weeks, months, etc. However, I have a feeling that it will probably come off if you use finger nail polish remover.

I was able to find another P4 630 CPU and this one seems to be doing better (believe this one is a week 11 2005 from Costa Rica. I've been running Prime95 for about 45 minutes and no problems so far. See the screenshot below.

Dim9100Desktop.jpg

Back