Why gaming on LCD?

holycpu

Limp Gawd
Beside saving space, when it play FPS as most of you do, it will have ghosting even it is a 8MS LCD mon.

Please list a LCD mon with amazing screen visual quality that doens't ghost when you play FPS?

Please feel free to add any additional info as well for why gaming on LCD :rolleyes:

Just to start this thread off on a good foot.

I just ordered the Dell 20" widescreen. Gaming will be FarCry, HL2, Doom3 if I can get it used from a friend, and other games. I pretty much only play FPS' on the computer, everything else goes on the console (XBOX).

I was holding back on a LCD for the reason you are asking this, ghosting. But I was mostly holding back because of all the problems that come with some, i.e. dead pixels, backlight flooding, easy to scratch and price.

But this thing is 12ms and being that this is the [H]ard forum there are some pretty hardcore gamers here who use this monitor I think that everyone who has one will say "Get it" and everyone who doesn't will say "Wait" or "It will never be as good as a CRT"
I weighed the benefits and the price and the negatives and went with it knowing that any ghosting I will experience will be hardly noticable.

I'll post back on Wed or Thurs when I actually get it, but I have played on a 16ms 19" (cant remember brand) at a friends house and it was fine. I dont think it will take away from the game playing at all. I do think that the Widescreen will be fun, and in the future with many games catering to all the $400 Dell 20" monitors being sold.

Just my $0.02

Ummm ok, let me enlighten you. I play HL2 deathmatch, BF1942, Far Cry, NFS Underground 2, Freespace 2 andKOTOR 2 and I PERSONALLY haven't seen any kind of ghosting that detracts from the gamplay. And believe me, im VERY VISUALLY sensative to things out of the ordinary and my Hyundai L90D+ has never given me ANY kind of blurring or lack of contrast that makes me miss the CRT world. The colors are actually better then my old Viewsonic monitor. And the sharpness.....oh God the sharpness....

That being said, your posts makes you sounds like

A. Upset you can't afford a LCD and have to wine
B. Your a bored immature teenage dork.
C. Had a bad experience with a 25ms LCD years ago and still have a grudge.
D. Who knows, who cares.

That being said, me and THOUSANDS Of other gamers have made the switch to LCD gaming and have no intention of going back to CRT, despite the few drawbacks.

Have a nice day. :rolleyes:

farcry1sd.jpg

hifarcry3pr.jpg

nfsu26ye.jpg

If gaming includes Gemstone 3, then I needed an LCD just to rid my eyes from the constant blood-shot look they always had ;) . Your post did carry a pretty negative tone, though I'm not sure if you meant to or if it was warranted. I can play unreal 2k4 on my 2001fp and I never notice any ghosting (and that's what, a 16ms panel?), and the colors seem more vivid. Additionally, after seeing a 2405 running source and WoW I'm amazed and I'd love to see you fit a 24 inch CRT on your desk or keep the intent of moving it from that position...ever.

holycpu said:
Beside saving space, when it play FPS as most of you do, it will have ghosting even it is a 8MS LCD mon.

Please list a LCD mon with amazing screen visual quality that doens't ghost when you play FPS?

Please feel free to add any additional info as well for why gaming on LCD :rolleyes:

My Sony Trinitron 19inch CRT died last week and started researching a new monitor. Come to find out Sony doesn't even make CRT's anymore. Go to the local Bestbuy or Circuit City and you'll find they only carry like one 19 in CRT anymore. This ought to tell you something.

Slick Tide said:
My Sony Trinitron 19inch CRT died last week and started researching a new monitor. Come to find out Sony doesn't even make CRT's anymore. Go to the local Bestbuy or Circuit City and you'll find they only carry like one 19 in CRT anymore. This ought to tell you something.

One? Hah, my Best Buy hasn't carried a CRT in over a year.

i think the lcd brings out the best of games. My moniter is bigger and brighter than most crts and has almost no ghosting. I will never go back to a crt. I have the Dell 2005fpw

QFT

This isn't the stone ages anymore, you can game on a LCD just as well as CRT if u got the bills.

:rolleyes:

i have a samsung 172x (12ms) and theres absolutely no ghosting. im a hardcore FPS player, and i made sure that the LCD i was going to purchase wasnt going to ghost. compared to my old CRT 17" my 172x beats it in just about every category i can imagine. the biggest difference was adjusting to the clarity of everything; pictures, wallpapers, TEXT, even games look so much brighter and concise.

i was a skeptic and very unsure of moving to an lcd, but now that i have, i dont know why ANYONE would would still game on CRTs.

I have a cheap 2 year old LCD and I love playing games on it. I feel it was a huge step up from my old CRT. I for one will never go back. I have never noticed ghosting or anything like that, and I have a cheap LCD.

I have played Far Cry, HL2, Painkiller, UT2004, Riddick and Brothers in Arms, on a L90D+, without any ghosting.

One can find great deals on good LCDs. Anything <= 16ms seems to have little to no noticeable ghosting in my experience.

Of course it helps to do your research and actually pay for quality.

If I had more money, I'd put LCDs on all my gaming PCs, instead of just my main one without a slightest bit of hesitation.

A few more pluses to LCDs than just size:
1) lower heat output than CRTs
2) lower milligauss output than CRTs
3) significantly lower power consumption than CRTs
4) much easier to move (for LANs)

IceWind said:
Ummm ok, let me enlighten you. I play HL2 deathmatch, BF1942, Far Cry, NFS Underground 2, Freespace 2 andKOTOR 2 and I PERSONALLY haven't seen any kind of ghosting that detracts from the gamplay. And believe me, im VERY VISUALLY sensative to things out of the ordinary and my Hyundai L90D+ has never given me ANY kind of blurring or lack of contrast that makes me miss the CRT world. The colors are actually better then my old Viewsonic monitor. And the sharpness.....oh God the sharpness....

That being said, your posts makes you sounds like

A. Upset you can't afford a LCD and have to wine
B. Your a bored immature teenage dork.
C. Had a bad experience with a 25ms LCD years ago and still have a grudge.
D. Who knows, who cares.

That being said, me and THOUSANDS Of other gamers have made the switch to LCD gaming and have no intention of going back to CRT, despite the few drawbacks.

Have a nice day. :rolleyes:
.... ]

Not sure I believe this myself, but I actually Agree with IceWind (hey, first time for everything :D ). I've had and LCD since January (yay for year end bonus checks) - it's not a "top of line" by foar - a 17" Princeton Synergy. Love the DVI.. :) I play all those games and a few more and have had Zero gohsting, zero issues, and for all my non gaming, my eyes love me once again. The big benefit is It's smaller and lighter for packing around - running LAN parties and going to other LANs lugging a CRT around gets old. Sure I can lift and carry a big ass CRT around, but why? I get a better image and waaaaay less eye strain with my LCD.

Nothing but happy.

Until you actually game on a quality LCD, especially DVI connected, with a card that can support the native resolution without freaking out you should clearly state opinions as such and not as experience.

Just add me to the LCD "fan-boy" club... if you wanna call it that. :)

peace,
Tim

LCD's are worse with gaming, it is a compromise. Even those that are acceptable suck at anything but native, which is really the most annoying thing imo (being forced to use 1 resolution). CRT's for me until better tech comes out.

Spetsnaz Op said:
LCD's are worse with gaming, it is a compromise. Even those that are acceptable suck at anything but native, which is really the most annoying thing imo (being forced to use 1 resolution). CRT's for me until better tech comes out.
when youre running a barton and a 9600 - yes, native resolutions suck. have fun at 8x6 on your CRT, im loving 12x10 on my LCD (which i gamed on with my 9600/barton, and it wasnt that bad... you just have to sacrifice quality settings for reso with that card)

i have a 19" CRT in the other room that can do 16x12. i perfer my LCD for gaming, and everything else i use my computer for. im about to invest in another 17" for some dual monitor goodness.

I recently bought into the hype and purchased an 8ms LCD. I was planning to use it for gaming when I travel or go to lan parties, figuring it would be "good enough" to use for those purposes, even if it wasn't as nice as my CRT. (I use a 22" NEC CRT as my primary monitor, which needless to say is inconvenient/impossible to travel with.)

Unfortunately, I was very disappointed. The ghosting is just unbearable to my eyes. 8ms is clearly superior to my older LCD monitors (I have a 16ms and 25ms Viewsonics that I use for non-gaming purposes), but it's still *not even close* to a decent CRT.

I don't have any full explanation for the people who claim otherwise. I can only guess that 1.) they are simply not sensitive to ghosting, 2.) they enjoy the LCD for it's other benefits and are willing to publicly overlook its shortcomings, or 3.) they are not the "hardcore gamer" they think they are.

It's also important to remember that LCD panels limit you to a maximum of 60 or 75 FPS based on the panel's maximum refresh rate. I'm sure someone will reply with "but LCD's refresh differently than CRT's!" which is true. However, the rate at which *new data* is sent to the screen is still limited by the refresh rate. If your monitor is set to 60hz, your video card will attempt to send *new data* every 16.6 milliseconds. I generally play at 120hz on my CRT, so my video card is trying to send *new data* to the screen every 8.3 milliseconds.

Even with an LCD panel that is infinitely fast (0.000ms response time) if the LCD is limited to 60/75hz refresh, fast first-person-shooter type gaming still won't look as smooth as a CRT at 120hz+ refresh rate.

all i got to say about this
I like LCD's but ive had bad experiances .. had a 25ms LCD which i quickly sold off to some sucker :D

and then i got a Dell xps2 and the screen was Terrible.. light leakage like hell and sparkling

since im a poor teenager with no money and no job ..my Dell 17 inch CRT that is supposed to run at 1280 by 1024 at 75hz.. but i got it to run at 1600 by 1200 at 70hz will work for a while... however my video cord is all messed up and if you even touch my computer it turns all yellow and flickers from time to time :D ill wait for it to break until i get a new LCD from dell

I have a 19 inch Sceptre, running 1024x768 @ 75 hertz, and I NEVER see ghosting. I play CS:S, BF'42, CoD, you name it. The picture is MUCH easier on my eyes, and reading text is by far easier. Price and Spare were the only things holding me back, but I dont regret paying more for somthing that dominates my CRT.

dark games are the only thing my L90D+ has problems with. Since pixels are blocking light instead of simply not producing light, such as with CRTs, blacks can look unnatural. Poor view angles also worsen the blacks around the edges.

My L90D+ may ghost, but it has never gotten in the way of sneaking up on a bad guy in Splinter Cell, or a quick fire fight in CS:S.....and that's all it needs to do.

I just bought a 19" aopen off newegg with free shipping, a $50MIR and 5 bucks off regular price. Came out to about 250 after everything (when the rebate comes in). Right now i'm using an old 15" HP monitor from about 8 years ago. It runs 1024x768@60Hz... This LCD should be just fine I hope because anything is better than this piece of shit i'm using now. Too bad my old 19" CRT had to die. It wasn't anything special, but it was nicer than this 15". Oh well, I wanted a new screen anyway haha.

I have a Viewsonic VX910 and I can detect absolutely no ghosting, even in very fast paced games. An LCD will give you brighter, crisper, sharper color and is much better for non-gaming use. Really, the only disadvantage of LCDs is poor blacks, and that's slowly going away.

I play Battlefield Vietnam on my Dell 2405. I first started playing at 1600x1200x16 because BFV doesn't support the native resolution of my LCD. I must admit when I first started playing I was unhappy. There wasn't ghosting but I noticed some blurring when I would fire. I would have my crosshairs positioned on somebody and the smoke/fire from the gun would sort of blur my target making it hard to see what I was shooting at. I never had this problem with my CRT and it was the same resolution. Please note that I'm a very very picky person and only want the best from my gaming experience. I play games all the time on my computer, at least 75% of the time. I was actually thinking about returning it for a CRT until I changed my resolution to 1600x1200x32. That blurry effect from my gun is no longer noticeable. The picture is far brighter, crisper and better than my old CRT. However, I still find myself thinking about getting a CRT for gaming only. I'll have to wait to see how gaming at the native resolution is.

I replaced an old Hitachi CRT with a Dell 2001fp. At first I liked the novelty but after two weeks I got sick of it and sent it back to Dell. Ghosting/bluring on fast games, unnaturally bright, doesn't do black only gray (Doom3 sucks), restrictive native resolution, small text/fooked up websites, some backlighting (two of them). Fortunately, there were no bad pixels.....I worked on a BenQ for the past few days (temporarily thankfully) and it had four or five that popped out.....hard to ignore and very annoying. Now I've bought a NEC FE2111 CRT and I'm never going back to LCDs! :p (until they fix their deficiencies).

I have a 20" sony hds93 (not sure of exact model but it is a 93..lol) LCD and i haven't really noticed any ghosting so far..Plus the colors are very, very nice and sharp.
I did like my old crt but considering i saved a ton of space on my desktop with the LCD it's very worth it imho...Also don't have the glare i used to have with my crt.

mmmmmm My BenQ 19" LCD with only 12ms reponse time doesn't ghost in any game I've played......

ie: CS:S, WC3, Mohaa, Call of Duty, Doom 3, etc.

kamxam said:
I have a 20" sony hds93 (not sure of exact model but it is a 93..lol) LCD and i haven't really noticed any ghosting so far..Plus the colors are very, very nice and sharp.
I did like my old crt but considering i saved a ton of space on my desktop with the LCD it's very worth it imho...Also don't have the glare i used to have with my crt.

The better CRTs these days don't glare....they have anti-glare screens.

I made the plunge and got a 2005fpw. The backlighting is unacceptable. I'm deciding whether to get a refund, exchange, buy a crt, or keep my current 17" Trinitron.

dell2005fpw-resize.JPG

Nasty.....they pretty much all backlight in the corners to some degree from what I've read.

dissonance said:
I made the plunge and got a 2005fpw. The backlighting is unacceptable. I'm deciding whether to get a refund, exchange, buy a crt, or keep my current 17" Trinitron.

dell2005fpw-resize.JPG

Send that one back, but mine is fine.

UnknownSouljer said:
Send that one back, but mine is fine.

Do you have a pic of it with the blank screensaver? I need a little hope. Pretty bummed cause this monitor is really awesome other than the backlighting. I'm thinking I'll try a return over a refund at least for now because I like it so much. Looks great in WoW although my backlighting problem is so major that I can still notice it in game.

dissonance said:

dell2005fpw-resize.JPG

Mine does that a little bit, it's not too bad though. My cellphone does it too.

yuck...

the reason I'm using an LCD is simply because a CRT would not physically fit on my desk. That said, my incoming 2005fpw is about to make things a bit more crowded... I hope it doesn't look like that or it's going back to India or wherever Dell sends it out of

Zinn said:
yuck...

the reason I'm using an LCD is simply because a CRT would not physically fit on my desk.
I'm in a different boat; I have a corner desk and have almost 2' of room behind my current 19" tube. I have considered a flat panel, but here are some very nice 22+" monitors out there for the price and with my setup, the size / weight almost doesn't matter. The wife's system has an NEC 17" panel that's really nice....but she's got a very small desk so the space was clearly an issue for her.

There are great CRT's and LCD's......and crappy versions of each. I think you can game just fine on either but at the end of the day, it's the quality of the display that makes or breaks the deal.

Edit - been giving this NEC a close look....:cool:

Regards - B.B.S.

Why do I game on an LCD?
Brightness, my LCDs are so much brighter than any CRT could dream of being.

The other thing, and my biggest reason: Sharpness!
The Image Sharpness is absolutely unbelievable with an LCD, nothing can beat pixel by pixel exactness! After using a LCD, I refuse to go back to CRT!

I have a 19" Polyview with only 21ms response time, and Brothers In Arms, Doom 3, etc all look fine to me.

I'd never go back to clobberknocker 17" CRT that I had before.

BlindedByScience said:
I'm in a different boat; I have a corner desk and have almost 2' of room behind my current 19" tube. I have considered a flat panel, but here are some very nice 22+" monitors out there for the price and with my setup, the size / weight almost doesn't matter. The wife's system has an NEC 17" panel that's really nice....but she's got a very small desk so the space was clearly an issue for her.

There are great CRT's and LCD's......and crappy versions of each. I think you can game just fine on either but at the end of the day, it's the quality of the display that makes or breaks the deal.

Regards - B.B.S.

If you have the real estate for that monitor, GET IT! I have the 2070sb(1 model up). The best damn CRT I've used. Great for everything.

I've been using LCD's at home/work and CRT's at home/work and the CRT gets my choice for accuracy and dependability every time. I am a CAD designer, and I can't use a LCD if I want to show clients anything on screen while I am working with them on their project. Ghosting does occur even in 12ms LCD's, when I'm panning around a large drawing very fast while I'm working i always get some ghosting of lines, and a little blurring.

For image accuracy, go with CRT.

BlindedByScience said:

Regards - B.B.S.

I've had it for a month and it's easily the best monitor I've owned. It pretty much destroys the Dell 2001fp that I tried performance-wise. I mention that LCD in particular cause I've tried two of 'em. Better response, blacks, color fidelity.....no bad pixels or backlighting. Very sweet.

dissonance said:

dell2005fpw-resize.JPG

Dammit that's horrible. :eek:

All I have to say is this: Game on a Hyundai L90D+ and you will NEVER go back to CRT. I was a CRT freak, even buying the FE2111SB to try and satisfy my gaming needs. Until last week, I wouldn't even consider playing a game on an LCD, till I did on the L90D+.

Never going back to CRT.

ajm786 said:
Dammit that's horrible. :eek:

All I have to say is this: Game on a Hyundai L90D+ and you will NEVER go back to CRT. I was a CRT freak, even buying the FE2111SB to try and satisfy my gaming needs. Until last week, I wouldn't even consider playing a game on an LCD, till I did on the L90D+.

Never going back to CRT.

I've seen a lot better pics online so I'm exchanging mine. I'd just get a refund but I really like the widescreen format. My games look incredible. Portrait mode can even be handy for browsing.

Back