Possibly the worst wiring job I ever seen...

• Thread starter Deleted member 12106
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 12106

Well, my brother has been bitching and whinning about his computer, and, how he can't over clock it(he bought my old barton 2500+ that I got to do 2.45ghz). He was trying to OC it, and he said the computer was angry and would not post.

So, he brings it over, I pop in a diff stick of ram, it posts, old bios, no wonder why he can't OC nothing...

So I update the bios, put his ram back in, its working, all of a sudden....this whirl wind cloud of smoke comes out at me:eek:

Here is the after math...
barewire.jpg

lrgfn1.jpg

ratsnest.jpg

seriously.jpg

wtf.jpg

This is not how I sold him the case, I ran this case 24/7 for over a year w/o probs, he has butt connectors, speaker wire, 18ga wire, duct tape, and a huge hazord in this case. It is insane....

He told me that one other time this happened...

So, I gave him a list of what to get, time to fire up the solder irona nd re-do all my work.

I had 7/12 switches set up, I noticed when I powered it up right b4 the smoke came screaming out at me, that the leds on the fan controller where flckering.

WTF was he thinking.

He just lost his right to own a pc if he is going to ghetto rig it like that.

He's lucky his house and he both didn't burn.

Butt-connectors, duct tape, hot glue.....umm, was he trying to wire a computer case or a bomb?

Crimping and duct tape = bad
Soldering + heatshrink (or at least electrical tape) = good

Wow, all I can really say is WTF!?

What is the point of all that tangled wiring?

Hey stay the hell out of my case man. :D

:eek: :eek: :eek:
Mine isn't even that bad, well except for the wires powering the flash bulbs for the nuke.

I dont know what the rats nest of wires are for, I had sold him the case with the wires taped in pairs and neatly tucked under the mobo and taped, he had the wires for the rear fan hanging out of the case.

The lights he had in there, I had them all tapped up, the transformers for them, they where some neons I bought at wally world for 10$ and broke them open to fit them in the pc.

I told him to go to rat shack today and get me some supplies, it is going to be a few hours to undo what he did and re-do my work.

I will post pics of it after the fact.

What really gets me, is, he wants me to fix his computer and get some updates n such, but, he kept the antenna for the wifi card...he knows I run wifi here :confused:

Man i'd power it up and tell him to touch that wire job. Cause if u are too scared to touch it then u shouldn't have messed with it in the first place. ;)

Troney1169 said:
Man i'd power it up and tell him to touch that wire job. Cause if u are too scared to touch it then u shouldn't have messed with it in the first place. ;)

Wise words indeed.

If you're scared of the work you did, you obviously did it wrong and deserve punishment by touching it anyways! :D

How old is your bro and when you changed the ram why didn't you do something about this?

haha, makes me sorta glad my little brothers don't know crap about computers and stay out of the ones I build for them :)

I don't think the duct tape is horrible (used occasionaly pieces of clear duct tape for fan and ccfl wires), but my God; hot glue? WHAT THE HELL WAS HE THINKING!

shadowbreaker513 said:
I don't think the duct tape is horrible (used occasionaly pieces of clear duct tape for fan and ccfl wires), but my God; hot glue? WHAT THE HELL WAS HE THINKING!

Actually hot glue is regularly used to secure electronics. Usually not insulated wires, but still, it's not that unusual.

I don't see many drives or fans in there; I'm just wondering, what ARE all those random-gauge wires and butt connectors powering? :confused:

LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What a Fu**ing IDIOT!! are those high voltage wires going thru TINY little ..red things/clamps/ducttape?

if i were you id Rip Everything out of that case and start with new electrical everything

and uh take his wire cutter soldering iron and duct tape away from him... if he was going to do any wiring he should have used Electrical tape .. they make it for a reason

and finnally .. SuperGLue on plastic wires... hot glue on plastic wires = meltage.

Dudeyourlame said:
and finnally .. SuperGLue on plastic wires... hot glue on plastic wires = meltage.

Superglue on plastic also equals meltage. Plastic, rubber, acrylic, vinyl resin...

altec said:
How old is your bro and when you changed the ram why didn't you do something about this?

I chnaged the ram, the wires where not in my way, the wires where not melted til after I powered it up a 2nd time, then, I tore everything out of the case.

He is going to be quite surprised when he gets it back, it is all going to be soldered and all ran thru the case se he can't pull nothing out or mess with it.

I've seen one much much worse but i never got pics.......imagine not being able to stick your hand in because the wires are so thick.......EVERYWHERE in the case.

uhh idk but I use hot glue when I dont have heatshrink, always works fine for me and keeps wires from shorting on eachother. Doesnt melt nothing for me, maybe I use a lower power one :confused:

Hot glue is used often on things like switches instead of heatshrink, but I've never seen someone secure wires with it. And what exactly is so horrible about using butt connectors? They are electrical connectors, so what would be bad about them? Now, I'm not saying it's pretty, or even... safe... but butt connectors aren't the worst thing in the world :p

yeah baby, that's how us boys from indiana git thangs dun, nahmean?

lol it looks like my grandpa got ahold of that case. I remember him trying to help me take the headlight off of my quad when i was little, we had more of those little connector things than an entire house should have in its walls.

Using hot glue to secure the wires isn't going to hurt anything; it's a little half assed though. and there's no way it would melt the isulation unless you stuck the tip of the glue gun to the wire. If you can put it up to a heatgun to slap some heatshrink on it, hot glue isn't going to be any worse.

I'm still trying to figure out why you have so many wires run all over like that?

Splitting power?

I get these things with videocards, fans, OS, etc.. all the time. Everytime I buy a WinXP disk from the egg, even though I already buy tons of hardware, easily enough for each OS, they still throw in the splitter.

Controlling Fans?

Didn't your rheobus come with some extra wires, connectors, etc..?

Just don't see why you have SO MUCH CRAP/!??!

chrisf6969 said:
I'm still trying to figure out why you have so many wires run all over like that?

Splitting power?

I get these things with videocards, fans, OS, etc.. all the time. Everytime I buy a WinXP disk from the egg, even though I already buy tons of hardware, easily enough for each OS, they still throw in the splitter.

Controlling Fans?

Didn't your rheobus come with some extra wires, connectors, etc..?

Just don't see why you have SO MUCH CRAP/!??!

If your [H], you don't buy a pre-fab fan controller, this one was home made, the wires USE to be tucked away and ran behind everything.

There is also lighting in the case, and, most of the mess is power supply wires that I had pulled out.

It was fairly common practice 10+ years ago to use hot melt glue to secure wires to circuit boards for various fixes. RTV and epoxy was also used for this. Hot melt tended to have better vibration tolerance.

Hmm...hot glue...and I thought the wiring in my Shuttle was bad (until I get around to routing the wires more efficiently this summer)

I'll second that. The actual materials he used are fairly common, and good. The execution and method however, was pure vandalism.

Hot glue is frequently used to secure electronics, and in vibration applications like aircraft I've seen power supplies and PCB boards nearly drowned in hot glue to prevent vibration from loosening components. I've seen battery packs and connectors with epoxy poured over them to hold them permanently in place. Hot glue and most epoxies are generally totally non-conductive.

Crimp on ends and barrel connectors are not a bad thing, unless you do them wrong. A barrel connector that's properly crimped, strain relieved, and then covered in either heat shrink or self amalgamating tape is a beautiful thing. It's better than solder in fact, especially anywhere that vibration is an issue. Double crimp barrel splices are even better.

But just damn. Everything about that job was screaming, "burn my house down."

I've actually seen 2 or 3 wiring jobs in computer cases over the years that looked like that. It never fails to make your jaw drop.

Back