Supreme Mag Drive Pumps (half-off) for watercooling

What size should one pick up for a full set up (GPU, CPU, NB)? Seems like a good deal...

The only thing I would think that could be bad about these machines are that they are probably loud as a F18

SignalSoldier said:
The only thing I would think that could be bad about these machines are that they are probably loud as a F18

I was going to ask if anyone had any experience with how loud they were. I want my watercooled machine to be as close to silent as reasonably possible.

well from here there seems to be a discrepancy in how loud it is. One guys says "nice and quiet", the other says "lots of flow, noise and heat" and "the constant hum is driving me crazy" so I dont know who to believe. Thats for the 700gph pump.
I will keep searching as I might be interested, but I have come across to boxes using these things and the made no mention of noise.

EDIT: WaterCooling 101 did a review, said the 300 is quiet. Full Review Here

So what would be the best pump for a A64 3400 + 6800 Gt or Ultra (or maybe a X850XT PE) combo.

I nearly spewed coke on my LCD when I saw the link above going to a pet supply website... :D

Wow..good deal. I wonder if I should upgrade my eheim 1250 to a danner mag 3 or 5...

Does anyone know if these are available in the stores?

I've seen them in some stores but not others.. kinda hit and miss. Try the stores that have a larger selection of fish stuff then normal.

Wow, great deal right now for anyone who wants to make their own high performance WCing setup for real cheap, Mag 3s are $22.50 & Mag 5s are just $29.00, [H]01y $h!7.

Well everyone says how good flow is so I thought about the 1200 GPH in my 6mm A-C system ought to be a decent test. :eek:

Id be afraid of all of that sheer power breaking your precious AC gear :p
I sure hope you didnt actually buy a Mag 12 even for $50, as in current WCing, there most likely wouldnt be any difference in flow between a Mag 7 or even a Mag 5, but your temps would go down from all that extra heat going into your loop.

the mag 3 is the one that has been most often used in H2O cooling with the mag2 and mag5 running somewhere a bit behind in common usage.

the danner pumps were used fairly heavily about 4 years ago (wow...time flies) and a decent number of pros and cons surfaced when a larger part of the H2O cooling community gave them a shot. IIRC, this is a general rundown:

-- they have good head and flow
-- the impeller tends to cause quite a bit of ticking. while there is a crazy glue mod to fix this, some pumps ran into startup issues after the mod to shut up the ticking. Of course, if the impeller refused to move at startup there was no ticking :p
-- the impeller housings on a lot of them leaked - the usual fix for that was removing the impeller housing, adding a bead of RTV and then reassembling the pump. That one usually worked without issue.
-- the impeller screws used to be made from plastic and they would snap. the new ones appear to be made from metal so that seems to have been fixed at the factory.
-- if you tighten the barbs in a hair too much, the threaded section on the inlet or outlet would crack every time and thereby produce a nice leak.
-- they were not EMI shielded and could throw some funk at your monitor if they were too close to it.

my experiences with them were worse than most (some seem to get mag3 pumps that were on the verge of bulletproof) but for what it's worth...
Round 1: mag3 - bought it at a local aquarium shop and promptly hooked it up. It ran fine but had a nasty ticking noise from the impeller. tick-tick-tickticktick-tick (always seemed to be in that sequence for some reason). The fact that i remember that years later should be some indication of how annoying it was at the time. Heat dump into the loop wasn't bad but the impeller housing started to leak about a month after I had it -- a quick RTV mod fixed that. About a month later, it died without warning - no ticking, no humming, just nada.

Round 2: about a week after the Mag3 died, I bought a Mag5 (after the luck I had with the mag3, my reasoning for going for the mag5 now eludes me :confused: ...it was probably because there was not exactly a large selection of watercooling pumps readily available at that time ) Anyway, the mag5 obviously had more head and flow than the mag 3 but it also had a bit more noise and heat....and that damn impeller was still ticking. The impeller housing cracked about 3 weeks after installing it - not from overtightening the barb but from the pressure the tubing was putting on the fitting (which wasn't much). I fixed that with a good dose of epoxy, dried out the base of my case and hooked it back up. It died with a puff of grey smoke about 3 weeks later.

During a drunken session of re-routing the loop with an original RLQO pump, I promptly swore an oath to never buy another Danner pump again unless I intended to use it as a boat anchor. Still, for $22.50, the mag3 might be worth the money as I could buy one, have another nasty mag-experience and then have a good drunken rant when I replaced it with something else. ;)

weapon-- said:
the mag 3 is the one that has been most often used in H2O cooling with the mag2 and mag5 running somewhere a bit behind in common usage.

the danner pumps were used fairly heavily about 4 years ago (wow...time flies) and a decent number of pros and cons surfaced when a larger part of the H2O cooling community gave them a shot. IIRC, this is a general rundown:

-- they have good head and flow
-- the impeller tends to cause quite a bit of ticking. while there is a crazy glue mod to fix this, some pumps ran into startup issues after the mod to shut up the ticking. Of course, if the impeller refused to move at startup there was no ticking :p
-- the impeller housings on a lot of them leaked - the usual fix for that was removing the impeller housing, adding a bead of RTV and then reassembling the pump. That one usually worked without issue.
-- the impeller screws used to be made from plastic and they would snap. the new ones appear to be made from metal so that seems to have been fixed at the factory.
-- if you tighten the barbs in a hair too much, the threaded section on the inlet or outlet would crack every time and thereby produce a nice leak.
-- they were not EMI shielded and could throw some funk at your monitor if they were too close to it.

my experiences with them were worse than most (some seem to get mag3 pumps that were on the verge of bulletproof) but for what it's worth...
Round 1: mag3 - bought it at a local aquarium shop and promptly hooked it up. It ran fine but had a nasty ticking noise from the impeller. tick-tick-tickticktick-tick (always seemed to be in that sequence for some reason). The fact that i remember that years later should be some indication of how annoying it was at the time. Heat dump into the loop wasn't bad but the impeller housing started to leak about a month after I had it -- a quick RTV mod fixed that. About a month later, it died without warning - no ticking, no humming, just nada.

Round 2: about a week after the Mag3 died, I bought a Mag5 (after the luck I had with the mag3, my reasoning for going for the mag5 now eludes me :confused: ...it was probably because there was not exactly a large selection of watercooling pumps readily available at that time ) Anyway, the mag5 obviously had more head and flow than the mag 3 but it also had a bit more noise and heat....and that damn impeller was still ticking. The impeller housing cracked about 3 weeks after installing it - not from overtightening the barb but from the pressure the tubing was putting on the fitting (which wasn't much). I fixed that with a good dose of epoxy, dried out the base of my case and hooked it back up. It died with a puff of grey smoke about 3 weeks later.

During a drunken session of re-routing the loop with an original RLQO pump, I promptly swore an oath to never buy another Danner pump again unless I intended to use it as a boat anchor. Still, for $22.50, the mag3 might be worth the money as I could buy one, have another nasty mag-experience and then have a good drunken rant when I replaced it with something else. ;)

Eek, thanks for the heads up. If I upgrade, I think I'll wait for a good deal on a MCP600 (ebay rocks!) or something :).

I bought the 250GPH model from pet smart for 20 bucks about a year ago. It surprised me with how quiet it was. I used it with 1/2" ID tubing. The only thing I didnt like about it is that its disigned for like 5/8" input and 3/4" output. The output is threaded so a trip to the plumbing store fixed that. Ive taken my water setup down though because I bought a Shuttle XPC.

Overall I liked this pump. Its a steal for the price. I did use a relay setup for it since it is a 110VAC pump. I gave 15 bucks for the relay/base though.

Had a mag 3 for over a year now with no problems what so ever. I did add a bead of RTV just incase it wanted to leak (none so far). Only ticks I get are at start-up (about a two seconds worth), after that quite. Place a piece of 1" foam under the pump to stop most of the vibration. Placed RTV on the treads of the barbs to help prevent any leaks. For me it would be hard to crack the inlet/outlet unless you just tighten the crap out of them ;). Cover the pump with aluminum tape with a ground to get rid of any EMI problems. Other than 30 - 45 mins of easy additional work when installed, great pump.

SignalSoldier said:

I run two Mag 2's in parallel, and they are quieter than than my case fans at 5v.
They sit behind my desk. They aren't silent, they do vibrate (they are sitting on foam), but they are very quiet. You CAN tell when they are on, but only barely.

I'm not one of those people who would EVER buy or use a tornado fan. I built a computer that runs at 16dBa. I know what quiet is.. :)

I have a mag3 and an eheim 1250. Both are great.

The eheim was clickier, but the mag3 vibrated more. Glue on the first and foam on the second fixed both.

Neither leaked, but I didn't like the barb mounting on the eheim, and the eheim is huge.

either way, I dumped my wc setup, and now have both with nothing to do with them. The danner might make it into my electrolytic cell... but that leaves me with another useless pump.

Back when I first did my WC setup, I found a deal online for a couple of ViaAqua 1300 pumps for about $15 each. I bought two, and I still have the other sitting in my drawer for a backup.

I'll bet you can still find them for that.

Are you going to submerge these pumps in water?

* Models 1 and 1.5 are fully submersible, but are not designed for in line use.
* Models 2, 3, 5, 7 and 12 are fully submersible and have in line capability.

Approved for indoor or outdoor use. Not recommended for external (out of water) use.

I.e. it's meant to be cooled by the water it's pumping, I assume.

i.e. - Not good for non submerged setup.

You realize you resurrected a thread that's FOUR MONTHS old, right?

http://www.pondmaster.com/
The manufacturer of the pump says it's made for in-line use.
I have no idea why Petsmart would throw a line like that in there. The manufacturer sure doesn't say anything about it. Might want to notify Danner that Petsmart is saying that.

On another note, I've been using my Mag 2 pumps for over a year now, running basically 24/7, in-line, with zero issues. They never get more than luke warm to the touch.
No leaking, no problems.

it's also too big and produces too much heat into the water. MY load temps don't go up much at all and it has been good but if I were to get a new pump I'd look at one of the 12v models. From what I understand you can put a rheostat on them and control flow, noise and heat.

Check some of the serious watercool forums and you'll see most don't use danner except for hardcore waterchill buiders. Bigger is not always better in wc. Just trying to save you guys some disappointment.

Great find for water pumps, so what are you talking here is mag3 is the best choice with WC setup?

I've got a Mag 5 in my current rig, and it also served in the previous incarnation, meaning it's been running nearly constantly for over two years. In the first version of my watercooling rig, it turned out to have a *very* small leak... I didn't even notice until I took apart the whole system for an upgrade after a year, and saw residue from the water additive around the impeller housing. I just put a bead of caulk around every joint.. it hasn't given me a problem since then, almost a year ago. It can be noisy... but that can easily be fixed. If you just set it in the bottom of the case, it'll make the whole thing resonate and buzz like crazy. I put a thick foam rubber pad between the pump and any part of the case that it touched. Also, this pump throws out a rather wicked magnetic field... which is only a problem if you have it within a foot or two of a CRT. When I had the tower on the desk, I had a piece of 3/16" x 3" strap iron bent into a rough semicircle, to act as shielding. With that I could still notice a bit of shaking in the top right corner of my moniter.

Anyways, it's a good pump, with some very specific limitations that can mostly be compensated for.

Except I'm seeing $57 for the Mag 5... and I got it for $50 from a local aquarium store. It would be a deal at $30 though.

I just recently removed 3 mag pumps from production usage in my house. None of them were used for watercooling, but I can give some anecdotal information regarding their use.

1. They *can* be loud.
this mostly applies to the larger pumps (above the Mag 3).... but even a mag 3 can make quite a racket if the impeller gets off balance, which is something I've seen happen with these pumps.
2. They are HOT.
These pumps will dump a fair amount of heat into your system, particularly when they are submerged in the coolant... which leads us to:
3. They don't do well in a closed loop system
I have had several of these pumps that I have used in a closed loop (outside of a fishtank with bulkheads to plumb the pump into the tank). The pumps leaked. It took quite a while for the leaks to develop, and maybe it was just because they were pumping salt water, but the pumps had to be re-sealed and I placed them inside of a container to keep leaks from messing up my day.

Now that I've given all of these negatives about these pumps, I have to say, that for the price, they are excellent pumps. They move a LOT of water, and the larger ones will get up to some IMPRESSIVE head heights. To wit... I had a mag 9.5 running all the circulation for my reef (and powering my protein skimmer) at over 4' of head (distance from water level of sump to the water level in the display tank) and it flowed TOO MUCH! I had to turn it down to keep my crappy homemade overflow from being overwhelmed. If you're looking for a pump to use with a remote (other room) type setup, the mags are the way to go. I had mine in continuous use for 2+ years without any issues and it has served me well.

The place that I purchased my pumps from was:
http://aquatictech.com/pumps.html
You have to call to place your order, but I've had very good luck with them, and they're a few dollars cheaper. They also have great prices on chemicals and test kits, if, for some reason you want to monitor the alkalinity of your watercooling solution. :cool:

-q

bink said:
I bought the 250GPH model from pet smart for 20 bucks about a year ago. It surprised me with how quiet it was. I used it with 1/2" ID tubing. The only thing I didnt like about it is that its disigned for like 5/8" input and 3/4" output. The output is threaded so a trip to the plumbing store fixed that. Ive taken my water setup down though because I bought a Shuttle XPC.

Overall I liked this pump. Its a steal for the price. I did use a relay setup for it since it is a 110VAC pump. I gave 15 bucks for the relay/base though.

I've had this very same pump for 3 years now... no leaks, no ticks, very little performance loss single best pump ever. Its been on for 3 years 100% of the time... no relay just plugged into the powerstrip.

Borrowing a phrase from an earlier post... Bulletproof.

Back