Hiper PSU

Seeing pics of the guts doesn't remind me of any large PSU manufacturer, could be a fancy re-badge of something generic here.

its seems like a very innovative design, very clean and nice...... but i think we all remember what else looked nice. Does anyone know anything much about hiper or this psu.

Actually the guts remind me of a PCP&C's insides, not as clean or stable though.

I do not trust the PSU 1 bit. Spend your money on a Enermax or OCZ.

mohammedtaha said:
I do not trust the PSU 1 bit. Spend your money on a Enermax or OCZ.

Actually im not looking to buy, just saw it and thought that it was worth discussion.

Like Ice Czar says, all PSUs are guilty until proven innocent.

This review was utterly worthless except for making me stay away from this unit until I've seen some real testing done to it. I hope that this reviewer's multimeter was hopelessly non-calibrated, as having those +12 rails constantly so far above spec is not healthy.

All I can tell so far is that this PSU focuses a lot on looks.

_Korruption_ said:
Seeing pics of the guts doesn't remind me of any large PSU manufacturer, could be a fancy re-badge of something generic here.

Fore Point Industrial is the last data I have on the OEM, though that was years ago. FPI used to be (not sure if they still are) the OEM for Superflower.

my question is , how do you know which pin goes where ? I didn't read much of the review but I don't really trust it that much. The rails aren't that stable under normal load.

Put that sucker under some real stress test and it will definitely fail.

As the author even said it looks remarkably like an Aerocool. Don't take that as the word of god but it does look like it. Not a big fan of the leftside mess.

HighwayAssassins said:
the design is sexy as fuck isnt it?
For sure, I've been thinking of modding one of my Fortron PSUs kind of like it (without the audio jacks).

mohammedtaha said:
Wait till he gets here and drops his funky knowledge of PSU's.

a few more
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/other/display/psu-methodology.html
http://www.smpstech.com/

seems Ive been goofing off
(strangely doing real work :p )

Hiper has a pretty good rep though
however that is an "esthetics" review more than anything else
(making it a member of 98% of the reviews out there)
especially with a static config, if your crossload happens to match, its of some limited use
(assuming you have controlled VAC and ambient)

most power supplies are adequate provided they arent overloaded for day to day operation
its when unusual circumstances manifest themselves that quality is determined

I doubt the reviewer even understood how to stress the PSU
(high ambient - variable VAC - from a high DC load to next to no load without an overshoot)
and an inability to actually determine the power scheme\circuits employed
unlike say Oleg
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/other/display/fsp-psu.html
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/other/display/powerful-psu.html
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/other/display/atx-psu.html

The bottom card carries input filters, an active PFC, high-voltage capacitors and the inverter’s switches. The top card accommodates a power transformer, output diode packs, auxiliary regulators’ throttles, and output capacitors. The PSU is designed with additional regulation of the output voltages by means of magnetic amplifiers. This design should ensure an ideal cross-load characteristic.

pretty pictures though :p

three other reviewers I trust and that go beyond a static config are:
Mike Chin (at spcr linked above)
Lee Garbutt
and our very own PSU Inquisitor jonnyGURU

it takes a considerable amount of equipment and knowledge to do even an incomplete PSU review much less an exhaustive one
Oleg is currently coming the closest to an exhaustive review, though there are lots of additional tests that could be performed and serious stress testing, but the equipment and the cost in destroying supplies is prohibitive

Mike Chin said:
A Technical Postscript: Output Voltage Regulation and AC Voltage

Voltage regulation with most PSUs examined by SPCR has been virtually unnecessary. Perhaps because only reputable brand samples are submitted for our stringent testing, almost every PSU has passed voltage regulation checks easily, often with flying colors. The Seasonic Super series were among the best in this regard, and the new Rev.03 models are no different, with tolerance better than +/-2% in every case.

A test instrument mentioned in the article SPCR's Revised PSU Testing System was used briefly with the new Rev. 03 samples. The California Instruments 801RP Variable AC Power Supply (CI-801RP) allows AC voltage to be varied in order to consider the effects of brownouts and other real-world conditions on PSU performance.

As the voltage is reduced, the PSU has to draw more current (Amps) in order to maintain the output voltages. The actual power drawn by the PSU rises when the input voltage is reduced. This is why, for example, that a power supply rated for 120VAC, 5A might be rated for 240VAC, 3A. Maintaining steady output voltage lines becomes much harder with lower or varying AC voltage. This is how PSU voltage regulation can be really tested.

The PSU was placed in the thermal test rig, with 120VAC power delivered by the CI-801RP. Each PSU was warmed up for a few minutes at 120W, then set to deliver full power. Internal test box temps were ~37°C. AC measurements were made with the Kill-a-Watt AC power meter. Voltmeters were used to continuously monitor the 12V, 5V and 3.3V output lines. The VAC was then reduced from the standard 120VAC down to 80VAC. This is a very demanding test, as the Seasonic PSUs are rated for full power output with 100-240VAC.

Note that the output voltage remains constant through these dramatic drops in AC input voltage — and the associated increases in the current and power drawn by the PSU.

The same test was conducted at 300W output on two other SPCR-reviewed PSUs that will remain unnamed at this time: One rated at 350W sparked and shut down within 15 seconds of running at 90VAC. It appears to be dead. The latter, rated at 380W, auto-shutdown safely within seconds of 100VAC operation. It appears to consider operation at any AC voltage under ~103W to be unsafe.

It is a measure of the Super series' quality design. It means that sags and brownouts in AC power, experienced by many people in many places in the world, should have little effect on a computer powered by one of the Seasonic Super series PSUs. A table of the Super Silencer 400 could have been posted but it would have been redundant because the voltage accuracy and output remained constant down to 80VAC there as well.

We'll look at the VR / VAC relationship in more detail, and examine this aspect of performance in other PSUs in the future.

if you want to try to match your crossload youd first figure that test rigs total wattage on the combined +3.3V & +5V and the wattage of your config employing takaman's PSU calculator for a real world probable draw refer to > http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=844691
on waht to deduct from the calculator amp figures to do that
even then its still just approximations, since there is no real crossload chart for the supply and no real way to determine exactly what power levels the tests performed ran it up to.

Back