Shutter Speed

Ok first off the shutter speed helps when you have a shaky type hand right? If so I cant seem to find it in my settings on my Canon SD200 at all......unless its called something else? and also since im here asking, what does ISO do? ive looked around and cant find anything really about it/what it does :confused:

soulsaver_8229

I'm not too familiar with the SD200, so I can't say if it does have a shutter speed control. On your mode dial, look for something that says Tv (typically there's AUTO, P (Program AE), Av (Aperture Priority), Tv (Shutter Priority) and then some scene modes. In terms of camera shake, that's caused by having a shutter speed that's too slow (typically anything slower than 1/60th of a second at your camera's wide angle position. Slower shutter speeds are required in low-light situations.

The ISO setting controls the overall light sensitivity -- the higher the number, the faster the shutter speed can be to capture the same amount of light. The only drawback however, is that at higher ISO settings, there is a greater chance of image noise (random color spots throughout the image).

GuruX said:
I'm not too familiar with the SD200, so I can't say if it does have a shutter speed control.
If it does have a shutter speed control, it must be hidden behind some sort of separate shooting mode. It definitely doesn't have just plain shutter and aperture priority modes (see DPReview's specs).

Didnt your camera come with a manual?

Would be a very good place to start.

Yes.........yes it did, but I would like to ask you (the camera go to guys) on where (if i actualy have that) and what mode is best since i have a rather shaky hand.....
edit: thanks HorsePunchKid for that link, you own, found i dont have a shutter speed but seems i can change other settings to help with shutterspeed, thanks

soulsaver_8229

Some advice on last resorts would be to:

Lean against something
Keep the focus dot on one spot as best you can if the object is still
hold your breath
Trick the camera by pressing the shutter half way and focusing on something brighter and then reposition on object. This may turn out underexposed. The object is best in focus if the brighter thing you focus on is the same distance. So, if you want to take a picture of a fountain but it doesn't 'freeze it enough', focus on it, but with more sky in it, because the sky is obviously a good bright object, then move it back to the original shot position and snap away. Hopefully this makes sense, it does in my head hah.

Hope I helped as I don't know about your camera.

soulsaver_8229 said:
Yes.........yes it did, but I would like to ask you (the camera go to guys) on where (if i actualy have that) and what mode is best since i have a rather shaky hand.....
edit: thanks HorsePunchKid for that link, you own, found i dont have a shutter speed but seems i can change other settings to help with shutterspeed, thanks

soulsaver_8229

I'd be willing to bet that most of us dont own your camera and that the manual would be able to answer your question in a matter of min's...then you would become the "expert"

I have the SD200. The only control reguarding speed/handling is the ISO in manual mood. ISO works like using the Kodak 100 or 400 film, higher ISO gives brighter scense, thus high shuttle speed, but in the cost of higher image noise.

If shooting handheld in low light without the flash, the best combo I used would be: Auto mode, wildest zoom (for the max F2.8 on the lens), lean against something (wall, tree, table), turn off the flash, and let the camera pick the highest ISO.

You could gain more speed by under expose the scene, using the exposure compensation, then brighten it up in image edit sofeware, but I would'n recomand it.

Back