Installing NV5 rev 2 on 6800u

bandit390

[H]ard|Gawd
I took the gpu apart and got eveything clean. In the instructions it came with, it said to add paste to the gpu, of course. But it says nothing about adding paste to the ram. It just says, to take the cover off the thermal pads.

So is paste still needed, even with the thermal pads?

you have Rev.2 (thick white thermal pads on heatsink), so you dont need any thermal paste on the ram.

Ok, thanks.

Well im past that and back up and running and my core temp at idle is 67!! Does the card need time to burn in? Maybe I could try again using less paste?

Also, is the fan suppose to run this way?

Pic

Thats what I thought, but a couple people on other forums said, its the right way.

I just took my card out and double checked the surface. The plate in the back and the sink on the core looks flat. Other than cleaning the core and repaste it. What else could it be?

By coolbits

Core = 62 idle
ambient = 36

I cleaned it and repasted it and now the idle temps are 80!.

But I found the problem, I think. The nuts on the back have a hole in the middle and a indent for a flat head screw driver. The screws are hitting the screw driver and not allowing me to fasten down it down anymore.

***EDIT***

The nuts on the back will not screw all the way down. They bottom out on the screw. When I bottom them out,the heatsink is not flat or maybe even when the screws are bottomed out the heatsink is not fastened all the way down. Because when I took the heatsink off, there was only paste on half the gpu. Now I loosen them just a little. The nuts are so loose that I can tighten and loosen them with my fingers.

wow, is it worth all the trouble for a 2c loss over the stock? hehe in this case is no huh lol.

Another $30 wasted on an Arctic Cooling POS!

You should've bought a STASIS IceStorm! ;)
Instead of raising your temps 2C an IceStorm will knock 20C off them! Oh well, if only more people knew they wouldn't waste their money on Silencers...

20c is outragously too much....maybe on one of thsoe 6800gt's with the 2 blue led fans yeah..but with a 6800 ultra..probably 5c...or little bit more depending on the fan used :)

I'm not in the business of buying paper weights, so it will be returned.

I already emailed artic cooling. If anyone knows there # or if they have a forum, let me know.

aZn_plyR said:
20c is outragously too much....maybe on one of thsoe 6800gt's with the 2 blue led fans yeah..but with a 6800 ultra..probably 5c...or little bit more depending on the fan used :)

Well, three seperate test boards (eVGA 6800GT's) went from 70-75C Idle to 50-55C Idle with the installation of the IceStorm NV6800C5. :)

wait a minute, hey Consumer9000, you guys are in the Bay Area?????? im from San Jose. Where are you guys located? Do you guys have local pickup/will call?

consumer9000 said:
Well, three seperate test boards (eVGA 6800GT's) went from 70-75C Idle to 50-55C Idle with the installation of the IceStorm NV6800C5. :)

yeah well the diff. from a stock ultra dual slot cooler and the icestorm wont be 20c :) maybe with a tornado hehe

bandit390 said:

But I found the problem, I think. The nuts on the back have a hole in the middle and a indent for a flat head screw driver. The screws are hitting the screw driver and not allowing me to fasten down it down anymore.

***EDIT***

The nuts on the back will not screw all the way down. They bottom out on the screw. When I bottom them out,the heatsink is not flat or maybe even when the screws are bottomed out the heatsink is not fastened all the way down. Because when I took the heatsink off, there was only paste on half the gpu. Now I loosen them just a little. The nuts are so loose that I can tighten and loosen them with my fingers.

Did you get 4 rubber washers( 1/4" thick) and 4 metal flat washers?, these are required and go between the card on the studs and the 4 nuts these rubber washers are what apply the pressure to tighten the heatsink against the gpu core. without these rubber washers your temps are going to be very high like what you are getting and the heatsink is useless without them. My 6800Ultra gets 47c idle and 64 load with the AS5 Silencer on it.

Good Luck!!!

No, I sure didn't and thats my problem.

In the instructions there are no pics of washers/rubber.

The screws are attached to the heatsink, the screws go through the card and then through the plate. Now there is a rubber plate that goes between the back of the card and plate, but no rubber washers/etc.

bandit390 said:

The screws are attached to the heatsink, the screws go through the card and then through the plate. Now there is a rubber plate that goes between the back of the card and plate, but no rubber washers/etc.

Edit: Ignore this!!!! ( had made a mistake and deleted the reply)

bandit390 said:

Sorry!!! I missed the part about the 2 plates ignore my last reply, they changed the design and I forgot this. Mine was rev. 1 and you got rev. 2, if yours came with 2 plates, you would put the screws through the card first then the rubber plate, then the second metal plate this should give you the needed thickness to tighten nuts and put the heatsink against the gpu core and cool it sufficiently, if not you got a bad unit and you should return it. If you do have the 2 X plates (1rubber and 1 metal) maybe the rubber plate is too thin maybe????, only thing I can think of causing the problem.

bandit390 said:

***EDIT***

The 4 bolts are threaded in such a way to prevent the screws from going down too far and crushing the chip. This combined w/ the rubber piece and metal "X" plate in rev2, doesn't allow for a proper "thin" layer of Arctic Silver while making full contact w/ the core. Even if competely screwed down (to the point where one is almost stripping the screws), there is still not optimal contact. You have to use a thicker layer of paste with rev2. I'm thinking about redoing my installation w/ the white shit because too much AS is definitely a no-no. If you can return this POS cooler, don't waste anymore time...do it now. Spend about the same and get the Zalman VF700cu or spend a little more and get a Stasis.

AdvModDev said:
The 4 bolts are threaded in such a way to prevent the screws from going down too far and crushing the chip. This combined w/ the rubber piece and metal "X" plate in rev2, doesn't allow for a proper "thin" layer of Arctic Silver while making full contact w/ the core. Even if competely screwed down (to the point where one is almost stripping the screws), there is still not optimal contact. You have to use a thicker layer of paste with rev2. I'm thinking about redoing my installation w/ the white shit because too much AS is definitely a no-no. If you can return this POS cooler, don't waste anymore time...do it now. Spend about the same and get the Zalman VF700cu or spend a little more and get a Stasis.

What about finding 4 springs to put between the metal plate and the nuts that fit the around the screw thickness ( just posted this recommendation on the other thread as well) to bring the heat sink really nice and tight up against the gpu core so it will cool down the sucker properly.

There are no springs, etc. What I said is excatly how it is. Of course I could cut the screws or buy different nuts. But I don't feel like messing with it. I know the place I bought it from will give a refund, but I get charged 15% restock fee. I'll see if I can get a full refund. Either way its going back. I put my stock one back on and get 50c idle and 65c under full load.

Now where can I pick up a icestorm for cheap. I only found one place that sales them and they want 45$. Then I have to buy a fan....

NV6800C5RS_002.jpg

And that's how you pwn a Silencer... ;)
(Pictured - a BFG 6800GT OC with a NV6800C1RS package installed, bare without the fan mount or fan) Mmm...copper.

consumer9000 said:
NV6800C5RS_002.jpg

And that's how you pwn a Silencer... ;)
(Pictured - a BFG 6800GT OC with a NV6800C1RS package installed, bare without the fan mount or fan) Mmm...copper.

That looks like a lot better heat sink than the silencer especially with all that copper, very nice indeed!!!!!!!!!!!!

bandit390 said:
There are no springs, etc. What I said is excatly how it is. Of course I could cut the screws or buy different nuts. But I don't feel like messing with it. I know the place I bought it from will give a refund, but I get charged 15% restock fee. I'll see if I can get a full refund. Either way its going back. I put my stock one back on and get 50c idle and 65c under full load.

Now where can I pick up a icestorm for cheap. I only found one place that sales them and they want 45$. Then I have to buy a fan....

I know there are no springs, what I meant if I were in your place I would go to my local hardware store and try to find some springs to put in there to fill the gap and give the thing some tension to keep the heat sink tight against the gpu, but that's just me I just like to improvise whenever I can. If you cut the screws then you can't return it if you wanted to do so.

Back