My brand spankin' new Canon 20D :D - first pic

jen4950

[H]F Junkie
I could not be happier with my purchase! This thing freakin' rocks-

All auto settings, charge from the factory, pulled off the side of the road on the way home from the store when I saw this flag across the street- opened her up, took the shot.. of course I took some shots once it came into the store from the factory, actually bought it on Wednesday, but this was my first 'intentional' shot-

IMG_0046_LOW.jpg

(reduced to %1.7 of original JPG file size- and I still have RAW to play with :D )

FULL GLORY:

http://neubauer.tv/images/20D/06042005/IMG_0046.jpg

YAY!

Congrats and much more fun to come.

It's that the 85mm F1.8 you were using?

if you dont mind... where and how much did you get it for... im torn between the 20d kit or the XT kit w/ and extra lense

jen4950 said:
BillLeeLee pointed this out, but it case it's not obvious:
IMG_0046_LOW_dusty.jpg

That's quite a bit of dust. I would blow it out with some canned air before you take too many more shots. It's usually not hard to clone that stuff out, but you might as well reduce the amount of post-processing you'll have to do.

HorsePunchKid said:
BillLeeLee pointed this out, but it case it's not obvious:
IMG_0046_LOW_dusty.jpg

That's quite a bit of dust. I would blow it out with some canned air before you take too many more shots. It's usually not hard to clone that stuff out, but you might as well reduce the amount of post-processing you'll have to do.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Don't used canned air on DSLR's if residue from the can gets in there it will spell trouble. Use some type of blower with the brush removed and blow inside the chamber to try and rid it of dust. By all means do not use canned air, definately a bad idea.

Older folks here may remember back in the LP days, there was a anti-static "gun" called the ZeroStat. I forget who made it. It looked like a red hot-glue gun. I used to use it to zap my SLR's mirror, the dust would just fall off.

Wonder if generated enough of a charge to harm something inside a digital cam? If not, it would be ideal to clean sensors. Zero contact.

michaelkahl said:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Don't used canned air on DSLR's if residue from the can gets in there it will spell trouble.
I've heard that before and never seen any reputable data indicating that this is a real problem. It sounds vaguely plausible, but that's the only argument I've ever seen to support it. I've used difluoroethane-based canned air on my CCD for years now, and have yet to see any "residue" problems. Difluoroethane is a gas at STP. Is there some reason it would not immediately evaporate from the CCD surface? It is (to my knowledge) quite inert. Is there some reason it would react with the CCD surface?

My suspicion (based on little evidence, of course) is that this is a myth being bolstered by companies trying to sell us more complicated and expensive cleaning products. Anyway, I'm open to real, conclusive data (or reasoning) supporting it; I just haven't seen it yet. :)

HorsePunchKid said:
I've heard that before and never seen any reputable data indicating that this is a real problem. It sounds vaguely plausible, but that's the only argument I've ever seen to support it. I've used difluoroethane-based canned air on my CCD for years now, and have yet to see any "residue" problems. Difluoroethane is a gas at STP. Is there some reason it would not immediately evaporate from the CCD surface? It is (to my knowledge) quite inert. Is there some reason it would react with the CCD surface?

My suspicion (based on little evidence, of course) is that this is a myth being bolstered by companies trying to sell us more complicated and expensive cleaning products. Anyway, I'm open to real, conclusive data (or reasoning) supporting it; I just haven't seen it yet. :)

Although i don't have any proof either, I have read in quite a few places that using Canned air is not a good idea. Also, It seems that the canned air os more of a complicated and expensive method than one of those squeezy blower things :p

I have also read about the dangers of using compressed air on slr sensors/reflex mirrors. Once, I had a piece of...something on my reflex mirror. It was annoying the hell out of me since I was out shooting that day (very overcast, pictures from that day are pretty dreary) and I'd see this thing in the upper right corner of the view finder. I blasted it with a quick squeeze from my Falcon, nothing bad happened.

I have read that if you must use a compressed gas, use canned carbon dioxide. Of course, canned CO2 is much more expensive than what I pay for Falcon ($9 for 3 12 oz. cans).

For the sensor though, I'm a little more paranoid so I don't use air. I use the Copperhill method with a pecpad and some eclipse methanol fluid. Works like a charm the several times I have done it in the past couple months.

We've all "read about it". Popular opinion of random people on the Internet is not what I'm looking for, though. :)

I still contend that a) canned air is cheap, fast, and effective, b) at least the kind I use (difluoroethane, quite common) appears to be safe, chemically (CO2 sounds inert and safe, too), and c) there is seemingly a total absence of actual evidence that it's bad. Not just scientifically; I've never even seen second- or third-hand stories about having problems with canned air.

Again, I'm completely open to actual evidence or sound reasoning indicating that it's bad; I just haven't seen it yet. :confused:

Yeah, I wasn't disagreeing with you. Like I said in my post above, I have used it on my camera (Falcon Dust-Off, which also contains difluoroethane) and it has always worked like a charm. Plus, you can't really beat 36 oz. of the stuff for around $9, and it's not like I'm spraying excessive amounts into the inside of my camera. And you'd think with all the dSLR users out there who are probably cleaning with normal canned air, we'd have a lot of horror stories or something. It's also funny that the sites I have read this information on we're selling SLR cleaning supplies.

Perhaps this is something for snopes.com to check into. :p

Back