The reason to clean Cuplex Blocks..pics

theseeker

2[H]4U
Ever wonder why the recommendation for cleaning Aqua Cuplex's is so important?

Cuplex XT before, CPU temp was 50
XT.jpg

XT3.jpg

XT2.jpg

A little cleaner now

XT1.jpg

CPU temp is now 34

tankpic.jpg

I really do like water.

wow, I'd usually ask for more pictures of your system, but how about more pictures of your tank set up. That looks absolutely amazing, and looks incredibly expensive :eek:

btw what coolant/water are you using?

yang88she said:
wow, I'd usually ask for more pictures of your system, but how about more pictures of your tank set up. That looks absolutely amazing, and looks incredibly expensive :eek:

Thanks, check out my album at photobucket.com

you know what would be sweet, make your aquarium your res. i know with all the fish food and dirt and suck it would prolly not work, but it would be sweet.

I'm glad you posted those pic's of the XT. For some strange reason no one ever listens to me when I suggest that they clean out the A-C blocks before you use them. ;)

Top Nurse said:
I'm glad you posted those pic's of the XT. For some strange reason no one ever listens to me when I suggest that they clean out the A-C blocks before you use them. ;)

I did, and I am glad TN! Thanks.... :D

Top Nurse said:

:confused: :confused: :confused:
Why does one need to clean a new from the factory cpu block??
Or am I missing something here???

plywood99 said:
Why does one need to clean a new from the factory cpu block??
Or am I missing something here???

Well that appears to be the million dollar question now doesn't it? Why does Aqua Computer ship a block in such a condition that it needs to be cleaned before it's use at the risk of destroying an expensive piece of electronic hardware? Perhaps Shoggy or anyone from Aqua Computer would like to clear up this little mystery?

I have my suspicions as to why this is occuring, but I would rather hear it straight from the horse's mouth.

AC is using glycerol for mounting the seal ring. Maybe that stuff is causing the problems with gridlocked nozzles inside the block.

I always clean up everything before I use it.

It just makes no sense for new blocks to be fouled with gunk, whatever the reason. They may make them pretty and to perform well, but fouled from the factory is just rediculous. Do the directions mention cleaning the block before installation?

Good to know, will be getting my CPU and NB blocks tomorrow,

Thanks!

Shoggy said:
AC is using glycerol for mounting the seal ring. Maybe that stuff is causing the problems with gridlocked nozzles inside the block.

I always clean up everything before I use it.

IMHO the problem is probably not related to the use of glycerol. Reason being is that the while the o-ring may be treated with glycerol it sits in it's own little machined groove unless of course they are slopping the stuff on with a paint brush. :eek: Well I am a cautious and inquisitive gal so I always take things apart before using them. Therefore I noticed this problem from the very first day I got my XT. I at first figured that the one I got was somehow a prototype unit as Sharka had to do some arm twisting to get them over here. When I found the tiny pieces of copper machined chips in the bottom when cleaning it I realized what exactly the problem is.

R1ckCa1n had a similar problem in that his XT made a sudden jump in temperature of about 3-4 degrees Celcius over the course of one day! As I had already suggested to him that he clean the XT he also took his apart. On his XT some of the jet nozzles in the accelerator plate had become fouled with the same green colored stuff as I found in mine and as you see above in the pics shot by theseeker. It is my theory that the jet nozzles in R1ckCa1n's XT became fouled after that green gunk in the copper baseplate broke loose after several days of use and migrated through the water loop and became deposited in the accelerator nozzle plate.

I think the problem is that these Cuplex XT's are machined with a water soluable coolant which is not being taken off during the manufacturing process. I should point out that it is common practice in the machining of components to leave this stuff on as it helps protect the metal while it is stored during the various manufacturing processes. However it is inexcusable to not at some point before assembly to use a degreaser on the components and to clean out any metal chips from the block. BTW, this problem does not seem isolated to the Cuplex XT as I have seen pictures of the Cuplex Pro nozzles with the same kind of problem. My TwinPlex also had the same green stuff on it though not to anywhere the same degree. Certainly it is not the high quality product that we have come to expect from Aqua Computer.

Till Aqua Computer can identify the problem in their quality control process and correct the problem it would be my assumption that the importer, Sharka Corp, will properly clean these blocks and reassemble them prior to shipment so this problem does not affect their customers. BTW, yesterday I dispatched an e-mail concerning this to IT-Trade, Aqua Computer, and Sharka Corp. I have already heard back from Franz at IT-Trade and he is quite concerned about this and will follow up with Aqua Computer tomorrow morning.

For those who already have Aqua Computer water blocks or they are in shipment you should do this inspection immediately. The easiest way to clean up this problem is to disassemble the block by unscrewing the four (4) mount screws. Then the block comes easily apart and you can separate all the components. I would suggest getting an old toothbrush and some isopropyl alcohol and vigorously scrub the copper base plate and then blow it off with compressed air. The nozzle accelerator plate can be cleaned by soaking it in alcohol and the blowing out with compressed air as well. If you want to be absolutely sure I would suggest using something like a pipe cleaner that you can get at a craft or smoke shop to clean out the nozzles though I didn't try this myself. Aqua Computer does not recommend the use of alcohol on the plexiglas parts, though that is what I used on mine so Caveat Emptor if you decide to do as I do!

A solution to this problem, if the issue is of leaving something on the metal to protect it, is to simply spray the block with a diluted mix of AC Fluid and distilled water. This seems like a no brainer to me as the AC Fluid is designed to prevent corrosion and is native to the Aqua Computer water cooled system. Thus there would be no need to even think about cleaning it up upon delivery. :D

Top Nurse, when i get my XT tomorrow, i will open up and let you know if they're dirty or what

Well here it is, sorry for the blurry image but i think you'll get the gist, my block was clean.

Took the pic with my s710 camera, more pics to come when i post the work log

6.jpg

i'm getting mine today too, i'll post a pitcure if i see any dirt

Well that is good news! I think perhaps the problem is related to quality control. Somebody is slacking on what they are supposed to be doing.

I just got an e-mail from Stephen Wille who is one of the owners and business managers of Aqua Computer. He apologizes for the problem and will get to the bottom of this and fix it. :)

Yea same with mine, I opened it up and it was clean. We just got the good batch of XT's :p

Did you guys noticed any grooves or what not with your baseplate? Mine was pretty rough and going to need to be lapped before usage. I ran my fingers across it and I can hear the sounds it makes from the grooves.

if yours is getting dirty after a couple of days then wouldnt it mean there's gunk in your system building up somewhere then being deposited on the fine grates of the block?

lemmy said:
i'm getting mine today too, i'll post a pitcure if i see any dirt
From SNT? Was that part of the large order you were going to place? ;)

Igg said:
if yours is getting dirty after a couple of days then wouldnt it mean there's gunk in your system building up somewhere then being deposited on the fine grates of the block?

Yes there is that to consider as well because the jet nozzles on the accelerator plate would become the easiest place to accumulate junk in the system.. But I opened mine before ever running a drop of H20 through it.

Mine is clean , and id idn't order from snt i ordered from sharka, didn't trust snt
3c30b27d6547.jpg

Mine came from Sharka too....wasnt their fault. Obviously a quality control issue with AC.

Got mine from Sharka and after checking it, it appears to be clean as well :D .

cuplexXT.jpg

tbooth: This is a offtopic, could you post more of those close shots of the Cuplex XT? I will love you if you do that :D

cuplex2.jpg

cuplex3.jpg

cuplex4.jpg

I've seen these milling marks on other XTs as well but the block still feels extremely smooth.
cuplex5.jpg

my copper block of the xt looks like that too, but how can i smooth it out more, i can run my nails through it and feel the lines

if i were here to tell you i would have said i told you so. copper+alluminum in the same system makes the likelyhood of corrotion is increased greatly.

Swimming_Bird said:
if i were here to tell you i would have said i told you so. copper+alluminum in the same system makes the likelyhood of corrotion is increased greatly.

What the hell are you talking about? :confused: :confused: :confused:

i think he's talking about the aluminum jet inlet and copper base?

Igg said:
i think he's talking about the aluminum jet inlet and copper base?

If were talking about the Cuplex XT, there is no aluminum on that block! :confused: The accelerator plate is made out of nickel plated brass. :D

Back