Samsung SyncMaster 193P Plus: A Review

Fionavar

Weaksauce
Well I just received the monitor today! So before I get into the review proper, pictures will arrive tomorrow I hope. I tried pictures in the evening and lighting with the digital is not great. With the flash there is the glare and without it is too dark. So I know the day shots will prove better, so I'll update the review tomorrow with pictures :)

I have to admit that the first thing that was REALLY pleasing to me was the simple fact that it arrived so quickly from Ontario. It took only three days in transit through Purolator and the box was in great shape. The next item of note that was shared by the delivery person was the weight. I now know why. First of the all of the base is really solid, which is a great idea considering how bloody thin this thing is! The second item is that the monitor comes with a very impressive wall mount unit. For those who have purchased LCDs before and have had to buy an additional wall mount - you do not need to with this model! The MagicPivot (dual hinge) saves the 50$+ purchase of an arm! Oh and everything from software to ergonomics is Magic something ...

Packaging and quality really top notch. No chance for shifting of cables and such. DVI/RGB cables included and I was impressed with the thought to include a plug in the recesses. Nice touch that I assume protects any of the connectors from potential problems during transit.

Literature is pretty sparse - as seems to be the route with most things - one CD with manual, software and drivers.

Software: I tried MagicTune and though it is indeed well laid out and easily used I have decided not to use the software. There reason is I like a streamlined OS and the software take a fair amount of resource for something that my ATI Catalysts already provide - in general. If I have any complaint about this monitor it is the fact that the software is pretty bloated, but most monitors can be tweaked through the video card's own GUI.

Image: WOW!! I know that many people are blown away when they go from a CRT to an LCD and I am no exception. I once read where someone said that an LCD with photographs and image was like seeing colours again for the first time. Very true! Vibrant, robust and rich. Details I have not seen before in my own pictures are alive on this monitor!

DVD Playback: My test for most monitors for movies is usually the opening sequence in Gladiator. There is so much going on and such richness that I find it a good test. And here I was not disappointed. In fact with DVI for my connexion, I can actually tell the difference in film quality. Wide angle shots that are panoramic can seem almost grainy, whereas the intentional detail in the close quarters combat is very sharp. I feel this is due to the digital quality that is actually – again – demonstrating the depth of the PVA aspect of the monitor – top notch!

TEXT: Rich and clear. I actually see what the point of ClearType is now! Again a world of difference from the CRT for me at least.

Gaming: Well … I know many people out there want to know! So – my only FPS available at the moment is DX: IW. I tried it with both V-Sync off and enabled – as with most LCDs – you’ll want this enabled. Again the richness and depth of colour compared to my CRT is worlds apart. No jagging once v-sync was enabled and indeed no ghosting whatsever. Observation at this point is that I would love to play a game that in fact makes use of the depth this monitor can offer.

General Observations/Surprises:

One thing I was REALLY pleased to discover is that the monitor does both portrait and landscape! I thought I would have to settle without it, but I was WRONG – and I am pleased I did not have to sacrifice this benefit. The base’s solid nature allows for switching quickly form landscape to portrait and ATI’s internal rotation capability again has allowed me not to have to install more bloatware!

Pixels: None seem to be dead. I am not certain, but I’ll play longer and update if anything changes. Samsung’s warranty is the best in the indistryt and that is clearly evident in the quality of the monitor.

Blacks are REALLY black. In fact, comparing it to my CRT, I think that I was used to the washout like effect. I now realise that was to what I had become accustomed. The monitor is fairly bright, so tweaking down the brightness – with the ATI Catalyst Suite – to zero!

The only negative thing I can find with this monitor is also part of its selling feature for some. There is no OSD except MagicTune. Which means if I do not want to use proprietary software, I have to settle for the video card’s (Radeon 9700 Catalysts 5.2) internal options.

Finally I would like to add I have gone from a 21” ViewSonic Professional series monitor. The difference is immense for me. For me, this is the LCD I have been waiting for. That’s the best recommendation I can give it in the end.

I will hopefully post some pics in the next few days as I mentioned at the outset and I hope this review is of some use. If there are requests and such let me know and I will try to accommodate.

Update:

Here is the PixPerAn results as requested:

Graphics mode: 1280x1024 @ 32 bpp
Frame rate: 59.4 Hz
Gamma factor: 1.9937

Flag test: b->w: 93.2%, w->b: 89.5%, b->g: 100.0%, w->g: 94.7%
Chase test: 30(50.0ms), 30(50.0ms), 23(38.3ms)
Readability: Tempo 10
Game: Score: 59 Points, hit rate: 18%
streaky graphic: Graphic no. 3, Tempo 16, Gamma 1.89, r.exp 0.00, r.time 4.0, r.delay 1.0, f.exp 0.01, f.time 4.0, f.delay 1.0, s.tempo 16

Readability: I can read them past 10 - I just can't type and focus fast enough :D

Game test: It was really clear, I just suck at that type of Asteroids game!

And the image test:

ppa.JPG

The image was actually not this blurry - but I could not seem to get it quite right!

Ok here are some pictures. I apologise for the quality. I am not really certain how to do justice to the monitor with my digital :?

05.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

01.JPG

Update 2: I have now re-evaluated my opinion of the MagicTune OSD. I had originally thought the software was dependent on being a start-up item – and thus a resource eater. Seems I was wrong! There are two start-up items, both of which are tray items, and do not actually affect anything. Once changed through MagicTune, it affects just like a normal OSD!! This is great news for me, as the brightness on this thing is incredible and I am still finding the comfort zone – the ATI set was too simple. With MagicTune now in place, I can add warmth without shutting off the brightness.

There are two other software programmes – Natural Tone and Pivot – which are likely unnecessary with any newer video card. Those two pieces, imo, remain bloatware. So final update – MagicTune is indeed a great innovation on the OSD – the other two programmes, however, are superfluous.

nice little review there mate, glad to hear you are pleased with your purchase. Certainly one of the first ppl i've heard of with the 193P+, but sounds very nice indeed :)

Yes, could you mention something about interpolated resolutions? =)

I would like to know more about the gaming performance. Do you have other games? If you could run PixPeRan it could be sweet.
I don't play games myself but this is one of the important things about these new Overdriven VA panels. Are they responsive enough?

reports from a Chinese review were that there was some noticable "overdrive blurring" present on the 193P+ in fast FPS. Can you check to see if you have any colour trailing in games, not ghosting in the tranditional sense, more an after effect of the overdrive technology

I still don't believe you got it until I see some proof? Shopping links? I googled it and froogled it and doesn't seem like it's truely available. ;)

Where did you get it and at what price?

The only place I've found was on Futureshop's website for $700.

the monitor is just have been realesed there (in Canada), right?
sorry, I`m from Europe and I`m waiting for p+ series :D

In regard to where I purchased the monitor - I got it at the Futureshop.

Pixels: Seems there are none dead.

PixPerAn results added to the review. I am not really sure what they mean, other than my eyes are suffering from the test :)

I need suggestions about how to get photos that actually do justice to the monitor. None of the pictures are as clear as I would like. - Suggestions? I have turned off the flash - that helps, but still not accurate enough for a review, imo!

DieHard83x said:
$700 in canadian currency.

god damn 700? for that monitor.

Should have gotten the Vp191b for that price, I just bought it and it was $720 total canadian (with tax and shipping)

In regard to price - I got it with the Futureshop 50$ off certificate - so with tax it came to 740. For me the 1000:1 contrast was worth the difference of the 800:1 of the Viewsonic. Plus in the end the no hassle pixel warranty was worth the extra from my place in a rural and somewhat remote area.

Shapeshifter said:
god damn 700? for that monitor.

Should have gotten the Vp191b for that price, I just bought it and it was $720 total canadian (with tax and shipping)
Why do you think the VP191B is the better monitor? The Samsung has a better contrast and looks hell of a lot better.

Roger said:
Why do you think the VP191B is the better monitor? The Samsung has a better contrast and looks hell of a lot better.

there are no real reviews out there showing what the 193p+ can do, and there are reviews out there showing that the Vp191B has the fastest response time of any monitor out there so far (under 15ms soild)

Sure mabye the 193p+ will do better, or mabye it will do worse. but when I spend 700+ dollars on something, I don't "gamble" at all.

Shapeshifter said:
there are no real reviews out there showing what the 193p+ can do, and there are reviews out there showing that the Vp191B has the fastest response time of any monitor out there so far (under 15ms soild)

Sure mabye the 193p+ will do better, or mabye it will do worse. but when I spend 700+ dollars on something, I don't "gamble" at all.
Seeing as they use the same technology to speed up the response time, they will probably be almost the same speed wise. You're right it's a "gamble" but personally, I'd rather wait for some reviews than get the Viewsonic.

Ok I have added some pics. Again I am sorry for the quality - if someone has any tricks how to capture an LCD well - let me know.

Some questions that were asked: Other resolution - fine no problems discernible to me to be honest.

Blurring - not ghosting - I really have not noticed this as well. Again all I have is DX: IW as a test bed, so I am sorry. In DVD viewing, fwiiw, there was/is not colour blurring.

As usualy feel free to ask and I'll try to answer.

Update 2: I have now re-evaluated my opinion of the MagicTune OSD. I had originally thought the software was dependent on being a start-up item – and thus a resource eater. Seems I was wrong! There are two start-up items, both of which are tray items, and do not actually affect anything. Once changed through MagicTune, it affects just like a normal OSD!! This is great news for me, as the brightness on this thing is incredible and I am still finding the comfort zone – the ATI set was too simple. With MagicTune now in place, I can add warmth without shutting off the brightness.

There are two other software programmes – Natural Tone and Pivot – which are likely unnecessary with any newer video card. Those two pieces, imo, remain bloatware. So final update – MagicTune is indeed a great innovation on the OSD – the other two programmes, however, are superfluous.

Yeah, there are no real reviews like TomsHardware and that French Review site that shows response rate charts. It's a tough call and truly a gamble. It's a surpise that it came out early, but one thing I expected by looking at the old model, Samsung 193P, that the 193P Plus would be expensive. The 193P Plus will be way above my affordability, the VP191b at $430 was right on target.

-------------------------------------------
http://www.williamchang.org
http://www.creativecrew.org

Last edited:
Shapeshifter said:

because of the panel is being made by Samsung and not AU Optronics, it could obviously be quite different in performance, it is very hard to know without and third party reviews. We have seen that not all the overdrive panels demonstrate the same advantages as we have seen from the VP191B (take for example the VX924, see thread about that i posted a few days ago).

I really hope that Samsung have pulled out a winner with their overdriven PVA panels as the VA panels seem to be the future in the TFT market. AOU have done a grand job with their P-MVA 8ms panel, and if the Samsung can match that then that will be fantastic :)

Fionavar,

what is the "IMAGE TEST"

is it a program that tests for ghosting?

Fionavar said:
And the image test:

ppa.JPG

The image was actually not this blurry - but I could not seem to get it quite right!

Fionavar said:
Ok I have added some pics. Again I am sorry for the quality - if someone has any tricks how to capture an LCD well - let me know.

Ok I do some film/photography work as well as graphics, usually it's a balance issue where the lights need not to be noticible other then their source. So for the room the lighting should look even. It seems there is a light source coming from a window to the front of the desk distorting the screen. Close the shades a little so the lighting in the room is balanced and not to bright.

I've seen lots of ppl saying that this LCD uses overdrive, but I never saw it on Samsung's page or in the monitor's specs (checked the .pdf too)...

Is this PVA panel with or without overdrive?

Lazar said:
I've seen lots of ppl saying that this LCD uses overdrive, but I never saw it on Samsung's page or in the monitor's specs (checked the .pdf too)...

Is this PVA panel with or without overdrive?
It's a PVA panel with overdrive.

Particle said:
Ok I do some film/photography work as well as graphics, usually it's a balance issue where the lights need not to be noticible other then their source. So for the room the lighting should look even. It seems there is a light source coming from a window to the front of the desk distorting the screen. Close the shades a little so the lighting in the room is balanced and not to bright.

thanks Particle! Unfortunately there is no real way for me to close my windows off in the manner you have suggested - maybe in July (new office space) but until then it seems that the images will have to remain less than perfect :? I could try night photos - if there is anyway to reduce the glare from the flash of the digital?

Roger said:
It's a PVA panel with overdrive.

Can you plz tell me where did you see that it uses overdrive... I know lots of ppl say that, but I never saw it officially written on a Samsung document. I just wanna be sure.

Lazar: You can't have a 8 ms PVA or MVA without Overdrive, ADDC or something similiar.

At CeBit Samsung announced that their new productline of fast monitors would be manufactured with Magic Speed and this is an indication.
I don't think their homepage says it.

@mistar: it's 8ms G2G (gray to gray) not 8ms standard repsonse time like for the Hyundai L90D+ that uses a 8ms TN panel... that's why I was still doubting.

Ok, now I have a true confirmation. It uses overdrive:
The french site www.hardware.fr just posted the test of the Fujitsu Siemens P19-2, that uses the same panel as the 193P+.
Unfortunatelly, they say that Samsung's overdrive isn't as good as AUO's. The P19-2 is really bad for games according to them.

The test is available in french here: http://www.hardware.fr/articles/572/page4.html

An english version will soon be posted on the english version of the site: www.behardware.com

MagicSpeed is just Samsung's equivalent of overdrive really, they like to have their own name for things :) the give away is that they quoted a G2G response time. Traditional non-overdriven panels would have the fastest response time at the ISO norm black > white transition. The Samsung 8ms TN film panel (Hyundai L90D+ etc) is a panel like this. However, with overdrive they have managed to improve the response time across the grey transitions, so black > white is no longer the fastest. If it's quoted as G2G, you can be pretty certain it's an overdrive panel :)

Unfortunatelly, they say that Samsung's overdrive isn't as good as AUO's. The P19-2 is really bad for games according to them.

i had heard this too from an early review on a Chinese website. Seems it it's quite as good as the AUO panel :(

Lazar: Yes I know that.

If you read the first discussions about Overdriven monitors here in the forums you find a lot of information on it.
You can usualy conclude that it is a Overdriven monitor if the response time is stated as grey to grey. That's a clear indicater.

If you want to know which monitors use Overdrive, you can use my panelsearch here on my commercial site:
www.flatpanels.dk/panels.php

If you search for "grå-grå" you get a list.

Lazar said:
@mistar: it's 8ms G2G (gray to gray) not 8ms standard repsonse time like for the Hyundai L90D+ that uses a 8ms TN panel... that's why I was still doubting.

Ok, now I have a true confirmation. It uses overdrive:
The french site www.hardware.fr just posted the test of the Fujitsu Siemens P19-2, that uses the same panel as the 193P+.

The test is available in french here: http://www.hardware.fr/articles/572/page4.html

An english version will soon be posted on the english version of the site: www.behardware.com

Beware with this site.
It seems to me that they are AUO "fans".

Strange. I've read a couple of reviews of the Fujitsu Siemens P19-2 and all of them said the monitor is very good for games. Some people even said it was the fastest LCD they have seen and now Behardware gave it 1/5 for gaming? Guess we'll have to wait for Tomshardware or xbitlabs to review it and see what the real response time is.

would be very interested to see a THG review of the new Samsung 8ms PVA panel, where perhaps they can compare it with the AUO panel....

I received my monitor yesterday. Some pictures coming later.

My first impression is really good:
- No backlight issues
- The black colour is really good, but not as good as a topnotch CRT
- Colours are vibrant
- I discover a new level of detail under games; I can see things that I was unable to distinguish before
- No ghosting or tails under games at all
- A little bit of blurring under games when you move around fast (just a little bit!!!), but much faster than my previous LCD (Viewsonic VP201B)
- One red dead pixel
- Good ergonomics and cable management
- No OS and the magictune is a little bit unstable with my WinXP. Sometimes it freezes my computer

Summary: Very good monitor, in some areas exceed my old CRT, and is much, much better than my old Viewsonic VP201B.

Highly Recommended

Askimo which MagicTune did you get? I am using 3.6 with no trouble - but the 3.7 was problematic - so I went back to the 3.6 fwiiw.

Nice looking monitor, congrats. I'm more curious as to when the 173P+ is coming, as I am a college student with limited room. Anyone got a clue?

regarding the magic tune - is that the only way to calibrate the monitor? Basically, I'm wondering if the 193P+ is linux compatible.

Back