Dual Xeon 3Ghz 1U for $800

hmm that does seem pretty damn good. i mean wouldnt both cpus cost much more than that

Two 3Ghz Xeon 2MB CPUS cost about $800-$1000, if I recall correctly. (It's been a while since I looked at Xeons that AREN'T LV on eBay, though.)

Edit: The 1MB units sell for $250 each, it looks like.

w/ 512 megs of ram for the same price as the 256..

i bet that thing is a bit loud tho.. hmm..

The steep shipping makes Baby Jesus cry. It's tempting, but what the heck would I do with it other than fold and host pr0... er.... pictures of my family... yeah...

When I did "update price" it says my 2nd hard drive selection is incompatible...how do I get around this? I cna't figure out a way.

Ordered 1
had to call them up to order it though
The online system refused to do the order with the extra free scsi drive
managed to talk them down to near cost of $40 shipping from the 81
total price was $987 shipped
(i went for the 3 years of warrenty for $137)

Heads Up!
FREE 2nd Hard Drive!
With select PowerEdge servers! Expires 06/22/05.
Code:
Purchase the following PowerEdge servers and get a FREE 2nd Hard Drive! 
Get additional space for more data, applications and future growth, 
without any expected delay and without spending additional cash.

FREE 2nd Hard Drive!
PowerEdge SC420, 800, 750, SC1420 and SC1425 servers

Expires 06/22/05.
My question: Does the free U320 74GB SCSI HD count as the free 2nd HD? If so, that's kinda sucktastic, but easy enough to sell on ebay or in FS/FT. If not, taht would be sweet to get 2x80GB SATA in there./

FREE 3-5 Day Shipping on Systems and select Servers priced over $499 Before mail-in rebate. Offer ends 06/22/05.

This should include this server!

DevilDoc said:
My question: Does the free U320 74GB SCSI HD count as the free 2nd HD? If so, that's kinda sucktastic, but easy enough to sell on ebay or in FS/FT. If not, taht would be sweet to get 2x80GB SATA in there.

*blinks*

74GB ultra-sweet ultra-fast Ultra-320 or average 80GB SATA? And you want the SATA? Tell ya what, get the 74GB drive, and I'll trade you an 80GB SATA for it :)

Um, folks, I see FREE "Lowest Cost 3-5 Day Delivery" shipping in my cart for this. Are you all changing the shipping method from the default $80+ shipping method to "Lowest Cost 3-5 Day Delivery," or is the free shipping a new special?

TeeJayHoward said:
*blinks*

74GB ultra-sweet ultra-fast Ultra-320 or average 80GB SATA? And you want the SATA? Tell ya what, get the 74GB drive, and I'll trade you an 80GB SATA for it :)

But what good is a U320 Drive without a SCSI host adapter? It's not built in. I'd rather the system be up and screaming along on the integrated SATA controller with software RAID0 or have the option of adding a cheapo 0/1 card for hardware raid.

Tell you what, If you're getting one of these with the 80GB SATA and 73GB U320, I'll trade you the 73GB SCSI drive for your 80GB SATA.

SC1420 Manual
SCSI hard drive: Up to two non-hot-plug, 1-inch, internal SCSI drives with an optional SCSI controller card

SATA hard drive: Up to two non-hot-plug, 1-inch, internal SATA hard drives with the integrated SATA controller

ir0nw0lf said:
Um, folks, I see FREE "Lowest Cost 3-5 Day Delivery" shipping in my cart for this. Are you all changing the shipping method from the default $80+ shipping method to "Lowest Cost 3-5 Day Delivery," or is the free shipping a new special?

Found out "from the horses mouth" that the "Add a 2nd HD free" and "Free Delivery" are not applicable on the Outrageous Deals.

Tiebird was able to get the SCSI drive thrown in free somehow. I think that was because he paid for shipping? Any input here?

W/O the SCSI drive & W/free shipping, the total comes out to $849.46 w/ tax. Sooo tempted.

I hate the fact you Americans get these at a stupidly low price, there are never any of these stupid give it away prices in the dell uk store.

cyberjt said:
I hate the fact you Americans get these at a stupidly low price, there are never any of these stupid give it away prices in the dell uk store.
move to america :D ...we love emigrants they make us money

I wonder how much I could sell the 1U chassy for... Grab this, put the procs in my NCCH-DL put the 1.6lv in the 1U chassy.... Tempting.

btw that scsi drive is only 10k rpm. and this thing doesn't come with an optical drive. you may want to add one if you plan on doing a normal windows install. (i'm guessing it doesn't accept normal 5.25" drives)..

you could also go for the tower version of this deal for a little bit more money: you can choose either 1gb of memory for free (not worth it since you can get 512 for 'free'), a CERC 6 channel SATA RAID Card, or the 73 gig 10k rpm SCSI drive.

btw this tower has room for 6 HDs.

For $969 you get:

2x Xeon 3.0Ghz 2meg cache processors
512MB DDR2 400MHz (2X256MB), Single Ranked DIMMs
CERC 6-Channel SATA RAID Controller
80GB 7.2K RPM SATA Hard Drive
Onboard gigabit ethernet
48x ide cd rom
keyboard/mouse

Or you could call in and get the 73 gig 10k SCSI drive instead of the SATA RAID controller.. I wonder if you could convice the rep to give you the 73 gig SATA raptor instead?

oh here's the link:
http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=04&kc=6W300&l=en&oc=pe1800-min&s=bsd

edit: i just noticed that you can make it a rankmount for free.. what is it like 5U? lol

Yeah i wasn't suposed to get the second HD as there is no internal U320 on it
I complained that if they werent going to toss it in i would file a report under the BBB for false advertisement as it clearly does say "free second HD" next to the 72gb 10k SCSI
so after talking to a manager they agreed to do it
took 40min on the phone though
considering i have several machines that would love a bigger SCSI drive i think it was worth it

Back