BF2 Problem

Stu55

[H]ard|Gawd
Whenever I try to play BF2 it shows the screen that says Battefield 2 then it starts to go then it comes up with this message:
BF2 (v1.0.2442.0, pid: 3804) : BF2.exe- Unable To Locate Component
This application has failed to start because d3dx9_25.dll was not found. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem. Yes, I have reinstalled it.

reinstall over it if you want. Your just missing a file that Direct X needs to run properly. The Direct X drivers are most likely on the installation CD.

I opened CD 1 and clicked on directx then dxsetup, installed it, nothing.

Try going to Microsofts website and downloading DX 9c, the one on your cd might be corrupt as weird as that sounds. Might try an adware / virus scan just in case, wouldnt hurt.

do a search for d3dx9_25 on your local drive,

if its in c:\windows\system32

Open a command box, type regsvr32 d3dx9_25.dll

try again, if it doesn't work then try replacing just that file.

If it isn't in the directory then your direct x install is fubar

Nothing on Local drive, and downloaded it off of microsoft's web site, and nothing. :mad:

wow. Try wiping all traces of bf2 from your comp and then install dx9c and run dx diag on everything through it, make sure theres no issues with hardware and dx. Then try to reinsatll the game and go from there, if that doesnt do it email EA O_O

extract the file your missing from the DX 9.0c install manually and copy into the system32 folder. You cannot install 9.0c over itself because it thinks its already there.

Ok, I extracted missing files, but now when I try to play it It goes to the Battefield 2 screen then, it acts like it starts to go but the screen stays black but you hear that windows error sound, then when i hit ctrl+alt+delete it on the taskbar it has the ERROR in battlefield 2 print. Whats going on now?
Edit: It will not let me view the error either.
Edit: Oh, nevermind it will, it says DirectX version 9.0c or higher is required to run BF2. Please install DX9c and try again.

when i installed bf2 it automatically reinstalled dx9.0c even though i know i already had it.

Man, I've been working on trying to get BF2 to work since 4:00PM and it is now 10:42PM. Still nothing... I am getting very frustrated. If I can't fix it tommorow I'm calling EA.

I am having the exact same error and problem as the OP. I assumed it was because I have not updated my catalyst drivers in a long time. I am downloading them now and will see if that helps. As a side note - this is from the DVD retail version of the game....wish me luck!

Is there any way to do a clean uninstall of directx 9 and then reinstall it?

I couldnt get my game to work either. It would start loading a match, then either crash to desktop, or hard lock the pc :(

Since we're down to grasping at straws- try memtest on your RAM- I had a similar problem with another game a loooong time ago (BF42) and it turned out to be a memory problem- the part of RAM that a DX component was using was corrupt. I swapped out the memory- took care of the problem. Since BFanything is memory intensive it might be an issue.

I know, it's a stretch- but the solution to the problem is usually the last thing you try. :)

Hapenned on a customers machine down at my shop. I replaced the d3dx9_25.dll and d3dx9_24.dll from a post on the Gamespot forums. Worked perfect after this. try to get ahold of the d3dx9_24.dll file.

Man, I have tried installing DX9c off of a different game, no luck. Where would i put those files and where can I get them?

In EAsy info it says i have directx 9b but it has a checkmark next to it? Same with every other program.

I'm having a related problem. I'm pretty sure mine's in the memory, too. I installed DX9.0c fine, and I can run the game, play singleplayer, and even load multiplayer every now and then. But, 99% of the time when I try to enter a multiplayer game, it will stop at 15% OR 46% (either one, it's random) and give the windows "error" sound. If I hit ESC to cancel loading, it just crashes to desktop. If I Ctrl-Alt-Del out, I see these 2 errors:

memory.dll: sanity check: block size -614598586 (3509.87 MB) doesn't seem sane

I can click "Continue", "Try Again", or "Cancel". Any of those options leads to the NEXT error:

memory.dll: all alloc attempts failed for size -614598586

With those same 3 options. Any of those options leads to another windows error sound and a crash of BF2. I can run all other games fine, and I ran the demo fine for 2 weeks. For some reason it only does this when loading multiplayer at 15% (Objects) or 46% (Collisions). Same block every time, same size (3509.87 MB). I find that weird, because I don't HAVE that much memory. Nor do I have that much page file, even between my 2 hard drives (I have about 3300 MB.) This is really aggravating. I went to Wal-Mart 3 times yesterday, they didn't have it. I got it out of an open cardboard box on the floor this morning. They hadn't even put it on the shelf, it was just lying there, open, right in front of the games. I had to get the 3-CD version because even though the Wal-Mart tag said "Battlefield 2 DVD", all 12 copies were PC-CD. This is really pissing me off. Is my memory bad? I'll RMA that shit, and I have another GB on the way. I was trying to go for 2GB, but apparently I'm going to be stuck with 1 for a little bit. :mad:

I see other forums that state the same like problems, this makes me very mad.

I never got the demo working right on mine. I am running XP x64 though. The game gets about 1/2 through loading the single player mission, then just craps out to the dekstop. I have dx 9.0c and catalyst 5.6. Any ideas? If I can't get the demo to run there is no way I'm buying it.

For those looking for a good memory tester I would suggest using the ultimate boot CD. It might take a bit longer to download 120 MB, but what you have in the end is a very usefull set of tools. Especialy if you dont have a floppy on your machine.

Ultimate boot cd

Memtest 86 is on there.

Remember to set your cd/dvd rom to boot and before your harddrive. (Bios setting)

Thats not really an option for me because I have 56k that runs at 24kbps.

My problem with BF2 is that whenever i finish a game aka all the tickets are gone... it boots me right out of the game back to my desktop..... weird

Anyone else had his happen to them?

Oh, and if it is worth mentioning, all other games that require DX9c work for me.

I was having a bad issue with choppy game play when i upgraded to the brand new nvidia drivers on my 6800gt, it was a nightmare, I then rolled back to 7.7.3.0 and its smooth as butter, the new drivers seem flawed, well on my computer anyway, just a tip for anyone having problems after they upgraded yesterday and bought bf2.

P4 2.8
PNY 6800GT
1 Gig of ram

Sorry to hear that.. When I bought a new house that was part of the requirements.. Need to have High speed internet access.

You can still create a bootable memtest86 Cdrom from Memtests web page. They have an ISO, or you can still drop it on a bootable floppy.. It's under 60k should be an easy download on a modem.

Memtest web page

Stu55 said:
Thats not really an option for me because I have 56k that runs at 24kbps.

Anyone know how to change your screen name?

Please do not say create a new account! I am out of email addresses. :mad:

They really need to drop GAMESPYWARE.

Sorry for the delay in posting here...got distracted and busy at work today!

I fixed the problem last night and am now able to play the game by doing the following:

1. Uninstalled my old Catalyst Drivers

2. Installed Catalyst 5.6 drivers

3. Re-installed DX 9.0c from the BF2 DVD - I did this by manually navigating to and clicking the setup file via explorer.

4. Played for a short time before my wife kicked me off the game! LOL

For reference this is on a system using an ATI Radeon 9800 PRO AIW using the DVD version of the retail game. Hopefully this will help some of you with problems…

Back