All-in-Wonder X800 XT video input lag workaround

yoshi9784

Limp Gawd
So I bought the new ATI All in Wonder x800 card because my AIW 9800pro was so great. The video quality increased with the input; however, I noticed a lag when I hooked up my videogame consoles. I figured this is because now the card handles the audio sync, whereas before it was output to my sound card through a cable.

Looking around the net for a solution to this problem, I came accross a Toms Hardware article( http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20050505/x800_xt-05.html ). They had the same issue when testing it and resolved the problem. There solution is kinda vague.

Anyone else with the lag issue here resolve it? It would be nice if someone could give a step by step solution for dummies like me who think the Toms Hardware workaround for the sound buffering is way vague.

It looks to me like uninstalling all current ATi drivers and instead using Catalyst 4.11 is Tom's solution to the problem.

Actually that solution did not work. However, I did get sound and audio to work PERFECTLY! I can now play my console games without feeling like my character is moving through syrup. My solution is this:

How to get the audio and video to sync with the All-in-Wonder X800 XT:

+ So install the latest drivers(I used Catalyst Control Panel 5.6)
and multimedia center(I used 9.08) and remoter wonder(I used 3.02).
Make sure you keep the catalyst driver install folder, where all the files extracted to in
the install process.

+ After installation is complete and you've rebooted, go into Device Manager. Scroll down to
"Sound, video and game controllers"

+ Right-click on "ATI WDM Rage Theater Video NSP" and select properties.

+ Select the Driver tab. Click on the "Update Driver" button. If a window pops up asking
to use Windows Update to search for software, select "No, not at this time."

+ Hit the "Next button" then choose "Install from a list of specific location."

+ Hit the "Next" button then choose "Don't search. I will choose the driver to install" and
click the "Next" button.

+ Click the "Have Disk" button and then the "Browse" button.

+ Browse to the ATI catalyst install folder and then to the WDM\WDM_SP\XP folder. On my computer,
the folder was at this location "C:\ATI\SUPPORT\5-6_xp-2k_dd_cp_wdm_23864\WDM\WDM_SP\XP"

+ Select the only inf file on the screen(mine was titled "atixpwdm.inf") and press the "OK" button.

+ Select "ATI WDM Rage Theater Video" from the list and click "Next" and keep pressing "OK" or next
until you are finished. Don't worry about Windows warnings. Just press "OK" to them all.

**************A Special Note********************

+ Go through the Initialization Wizard for ATI TV to set up how you will get audio in. I use the 1/8" digital
audio out provided on the audio/video out block. I send the audio cable into my "audio in" port on my sound card.

BANG! Take that ATI who doesn't provide any solutions.

Nice work....how did you find the solution to getting rid of the delay?
Edit: As in, where did you find it? Did you come up with it on your own?

Well, I was clued in by the Tom's Hardware article about fooling around with the drivers(rolling back drivers and such). So I experimented with all the ATI WDM drivers, updating each one and seeing the results. It took me a while to think of that solution. A lot a trouble, but in the end, I am once again happy with my expensive purchase($297 on sale).

it doesn't show me any inf file under this folder

yoshi9784 said:
Actually that solution did not work. However, I did get sound and audio to work PERFECTLY! I can now play my console games without feeling like my character is moving through syrup. My solution is this:

How to get the audio and video to sync with the All-in-Wonder X800 XT:

+ So install the latest drivers(I used Catalyst Control Panel 5.6)
and multimedia center(I used 9.08) and remoter wonder(I used 3.02).
Make sure you keep the catalyst driver install folder, where all the files extracted to in
the install process.

+ After installation is complete and you've rebooted, go into Device Manager. Scroll down to
"Sound, video and game controllers"

+ Right-click on "ATI WDM Rage Theater Video NSP" and select properties.

+ Select the Driver tab. Click on the "Update Driver" button. If a window pops up asking
to use Windows Update to search for software, select "No, not at this time."

+ Hit the "Next button" then choose "Install from a list of specific location."

+ Hit the "Next" button then choose "Don't search. I will choose the driver to install" and
click the "Next" button.

+ Click the "Have Disk" button and then the "Browse" button.

+ Browse to the ATI catalyst install folder and then to the WDM\WDM_SP\XP folder. On my computer,
the folder was at this location "C:\ATI\SUPPORT\5-6_xp-2k_dd_cp_wdm_23864\WDM\WDM_SP\XP"

+ Select the only inf file on the screen(mine was titled "atixpwdm.inf") and press the "OK" button.

+ Select "ATI WDM Rage Theater Video" from the list and click "Next" and keep pressing "OK" or next
until you are finished. Don't worry about Windows warnings. Just press "OK" to them all.

**************A Special Note********************

+ Go through the Initialization Wizard for ATI TV to set up how you will get audio in. I use the 1/8" digital
audio out provided on the audio/video out block. I send the audio cable into my "audio in" port on my sound card.

BANG! Take that ATI who doesn't provide any solutions.

I did the same workaround for my AIW X800XT, but my TV-On-Demand doesn't work now.

I don't use TV on Demand so I wouldn't know how to fix that feature.

In regards to the other fellow not finding the inf file in the folder, it should be in that download package. I downloaded mine directly from ATI's site.

witch package ?

yoshi9784 said:

In regards to the other fellow not finding the inf file in the folder, it should be in that download package. I downloaded mine directly from ATI's site.

yoshi9784 said:

Yesterday, I tried to modify the ATI MMC installation to get the Media Library installed, but the Media Library wouldn't launch, so I did a full uninstall of everything ATI, ran DriverCleaner Pro, reinstalled the 5.6 Cats and MMC 9.08, did the driver rollback to the non-NSP version. Now, TV-On-Demand works. :confused:

Now if I could get a station to come in on the FM. :(

"Alternatively, installing later drivers and rolling back the "TV Audio Crossbar" driver provides cabled sound without buffering, but doesn't allow you to select your audio source for MMC volume controls... Tuner lag has now been fully investigated. Using a cable connection from the tuner to the soundcard (no buffer), rather than streaming audio (with forced buffer), restored the lightning quick channel changes and truly live TV of previous cards. Far be it from us to blame the new tuner without fully investigating the actual cause! " - Tomshardware.com in the previously cited post.

Actually, what you did is one of the options that Tomshardware offers, but isn't as clear as it could have been.

I know, I ressurected a semi-dead thread, but the issue is as alive as it's ever been.

Back