School Project - New Desk

pritchy

n00b
For my year 11 design in wood project i have decided to make a new computer desk i have been using an rather large tressle up until now, i think that it is ugly and to big

Old:
Workstation4.jpg

i don't really have a need for all the space as i have since wall mouted the projector and sold my xbox

Projector:
IMGP1095.jpg

i would say i am about half way done with the project well most of the hard stuff is out of the way

New:
IMGP1092.jpg

i have bought carbon fibre look laminate for the top it is just a matter of glueing that on, the shelves pictured are just templates for glass that i have to get professionally cut.

i am not quite sure what finish i am going to have behind the shelves so any ideas would be appreciated
IMGP1093.jpg

topfrog i don't actually have any lights at the moment just two small lamps as the lights i had blocked my projection path

I forgot where I saw it on these forums but this one guy mounted neon lights under his desk and it was easily the coolest desk i've ever seen. It as the length of the entire room and housed 3 computer + scanners and had tons of shelving. Anyways where I was going with this post was you might want to put some neon lights under it (I dunno I think they look cool) unless your going for a traditional look.

Keep going you need to get more organized!!!
ALSO ... WIRES... you must clean up all the wires!
OMG

you need to build a spot for the mini fridge... make a filing cabinet to match the desk... have some drawers then the bottom with will look like a drawer but it will be a fridge :)

Destonomos said:
I forgot where I saw it on these forums but this one guy mounted neon lights under his desk and it was easily the coolest desk i've ever seen. It as the length of the entire room and housed 3 computer + scanners and had tons of shelving. Anyways where I was going with this post was you might want to put some neon lights under it (I dunno I think they look cool) unless your going for a traditional look.

It belongs to Stresstest.
http://stresstest.2y.net/images/deskrefit/deskrefit.html

The desk looks like ti is coming along nicely. Keep uup the good work.

Is this going to be a corner unit? I presume so because of the shape.

Post a pic of your projector running too.

your quite right Sobek it is going to be a corner unit it is going in that corner that the desk i have now (pictured in top) is in, haven't done much over the last few days, cut holes for cable management today and i am about to take those shelf templates in to get glass cut for them, i will post a projector pic when i get home

just a little update so the thread doesn't die

got my glass ordered, 4 grey tinted shelves for $172 :( they should be ready on tueday arvo, just got back from the hardware store got the gear to mount the shelves and a 60mm hole saw to cut the cable management holes in the top, i will probly laminate the top tommrow so i will post pics on tuesday once that has dried and shelves are in.

subscribed to this thread.

sounds like it will be awesome, cant wait to see more pics :cool:

Ideas?

Another vote for built-in cable management (raceways or velcro cable ties attached to the back?)

Flush mounted powerbar in the top surface, for easy access to power ie for laptops etc.

Hard wired lighting underneath for when you're searching for dropped items etc. (lol stationary flashlight)

Put a layer of acrylic over the CF and edge-light it!!!

- What sort of CF laminate are you using anyways? Links?

ok guys pretty big update, worked on the desk all this arvo, glass shelves were cut, bit of luck actually i was originally quoted $172 but that was a mistake and they only came to $130 :) , laminated the top with the carbon fibre can't really see it that well in the pics but it looks quite good, the glue wasn't quite dry enough to cut the holes for the cable ports will be doing that on thursday, added chrome feet and a coat of primer to the base, hmm thats about it for now, hopeing to finish by the end of the week might of had it finsihed today if the stupid hardware store didn't have an 18 years or older limit on spray paint :(

Pics:

Hard At Work:
IMGP1161Large.jpg

Side On Of The Shelves:
IMGP1168Large.jpg

Another:
IMGP1169Large.jpg

Front View
IMGP1167Large.jpg

It looks great, but what kind of store has an age limit on spraypaint? Damned vandals had to ruin it for the rest of us =(

Still, the glass looks a lot better than I thought it would.

oh and while i'm in the updating mood

Topdog:
i have just bought my new lights and remote control dimmer, will be putting them in over the weekend, they will be mounted either side of my room so they are not in my projectors path
IMGP1170Large.jpg

Sobek:
heres a pic of the projector running i can't have anything on it at the moment because since i wall mounted it my vga cable isn't long enough i have got a 15m on order should be here in the next few days fingers crossed
IMGP1172Large.jpg

what kind of projector stand is that I have a benq projector myself and that looks perfect for the projector size wise and prob doesnt weight a ton either.. link me if you can to the name / model of it or a ebay link

I hope nobody's asked this before, in a hurry when I posted this, where did you get those plastic cable-hole insert thingys? I'm building a desk as well and can't find them anywhere. Thanks...

Hinokagutsuchi said:
It looks great, but what kind of store has an age limit on spraypaint? Damned vandals had to ruin it for the rest of us =(

Still, the glass looks a lot better than I thought it would.

it isnt vandels........you get high off paint........such as, all grocery stores have to by law, at least in south carolia, report anyone buying an abnormal ammout of matches, which somehow is used to create meth~

soulsaver_8229

neozenkai: i'm not sure where you get them in America as i am in Australia, i bought them from a place called K&D Warehouse which is a pretty big hardware store down here they weren't easy to find they were with the screws and shelve fittings, they would probebly be in most hardware stores just a bit hard to find

soulsaver_8229: hmm i'm not sure if it is vandles or druggies down here but in the state i live in there is a 18+ limit in all stores by law, it is damn annoying how they ruin it for the rest of us

nice desk, hope you get a good mark/grade or whatever. seems like you've put alot of time, effor and money in to it.

In my woodwork class i atempted to make 3 drawers and didnt even do that, still got a B grade though. :D

On a side note i am just wondering what fridge that is, i'm looking for a fridge for my room and something similar to that would be perfect. I don't know if i'd be able to get the same thing here in the UK but its worth a try. Thanks.

bsoltan: it is a Samsung SRG-058, just a standard bar fridge, it does the job but i keep mostly cans in it and they fall out quite often the layout inside is not that ideal so make sure you have a look inside and see if it will fit what you want to use it for

IntimidatorX said:
Wait, you have a Rack cabinet has a wardrobe? am i right? if so do oyu want to exchange my wardrobe for your?? lol

Do you live in a largish city? Here in Phoenix I can pickup old server racks for under $50 from the recyclers. (I have two nice ones in the garage) And no they are not for sale, and considering the weight, I won't ship one anywhere.

Just look in the yellow pages for a comptuer or similar recycler, and go visit them, I bet they would be happy to get rid of a couple of server racks for cheap. For example, here are the 10 in Phoenix: http://www.dexonline.com/servlet/Ac...=true&metroID=1077&headingID=9671&refine=true

I go to Westech (the last one) myself, as I met the owner at a swapmeet.

==>lazn

Lazn_Work said:
Do you live in a largish city? Here in Phoenix I can pickup old server racks for under $50 from the recyclers. (I have two nice ones in the garage) And no they are not for sale, and considering the weight, I won't ship one anywhere.

Just look in the yellow pages for a comptuer or similar recycler, and go visit them, I bet they would be happy to get rid of a couple of server racks for cheap. For example, here are the 10 in Phoenix: http://www.dexonline.com/servlet/Ac...=true&metroID=1077&headingID=9671&refine=true

I go to Westech (the last one) myself, as I met the owner at a swapmeet.

==>lazn

That's just down the street from my work!

uzor said:
That's just down the street from my work!

Go check out what they got sometime.. It might suprize you. (Ed is the owner, but any of them should be able to help you) I have gotten good 21" CRT's and rackmount cases not to mention the racks from them. (the cases had Pentium 1 servers in them, I just tossed the guts and kept the case) Once they even had a bunch of brand new Intel 9100 routers that they were selling for $65 each, a bit older, but perfectly good routers for a T1 or whatever.

Back on topic: pritchy, that is a great desk, are you going to finnish the front edge of the top? (thin strip of the "carbon fibre" laminate?)

==>Lazn

wow this desk is looking really good i wish i had skills like that please post some more pics, hope you keep up the good work and end up with a great final product

g0rseck said:
Haha oh my god. u can not be serious. what a shit job, why would u even bother.
It looks like shit.

first post in this forum and it's a stupid flame? nice way to start off here, troll.

Ok guys, little bit of an update i have been sick so i haven't been to school to work on it,

routed out the cable mangement holes that completes the top so i brought that home today
P1010114.jpg

P1010111WinCE.jpg

P1010112WinCE.jpg

P1010113WinCE.jpg

while i'm at it will just this picture of my lights now they are installed
P1010109.jpg

Back