FUSION a G5 mod

Defyant

Limp Gawd
FUSION: an occurrence that involves the production of a union

FUSION: coalition: the state of being combined into one body

This mod is a few months old, and altho ive made mention and links to in in other ppls posts , i thought since now these are becomming fashionable i'd throw a full post up here.

Unlike other G5 mods! i really wanted to do somthing i knew would not be copied and keep this mod original for some time.

thought just guting ...banging in some some hardware, i'd do a full "refab" of the internals SWAP the whole casing around...so that the door is now on the "proper" side and could mount my mother board "rightside up".

The icing on the cake! would be to match the G5's awsome powerhouse with somthing i felt was better!!

Dual Xeons was the choice....and what better than to Watercool and overclock :)

Here it is! a gutten G5.

DSCF0006.jpg

first job was to remove the "inner cage" .... 10000 screws and nuts later the outer shell is "SPRUNG" open the the cage lifts out.

DSCF0013.jpg

The "inner cage" is in 2 sections.....

DSCF0020.jpg

These will be redrilled and reveresd then fitted back into the outer shell.

This wasnt as easy as i just made it sound!

DSCF0021.jpg

DSCF0023.jpg

While the cage is out the rear end is modded and a new panelis fab'd to be pop rivoted in.

DSCF0024.jpg

DSCF0040.jpg

DSCF0046.jpg

Next was to get to work on the new top bottem and rear "inner walls"... full grade alloy was used .... and damm i went thru some blades cutting this stuff... all the motherboard locating holes were drilled and tapped.

DSCF0070.jpg

DSCF0071.jpg

DSCF0072.jpg

DSCF0073.jpg

With this done the inner cage can be bolted back together, and some final filing is done.

DSCF0303.jpg

DSCF0302.jpg

DSCF0306.jpg

DSCF0307.jpg

DSCF0310.jpg

DSCF0311.jpg

DSCF0312.jpg

The idea was to mount the psu UPSIDE down in the base of the tower, the only mod needed apart from the custom base plate was a grill to stop dust and crap falling into the psu.

IMG_0078.jpg

IMG_0092.jpg

IMG_0095.jpg

IMG_0100.jpg

IMG_0109.jpg

IMG_0111.jpg

The original HDD cage is modded and then reused .

IMG_0119.jpg

IMG_0121.jpg

IMG_0122.jpg

IMG_0123.jpg

IMG_0124.jpg

With the water cooling, id have to make a up a custom front bracket to hold the dual BIX 120 rads, a peice od alloy was cut drilled and bent to shape

The braket was then taken to the local welders shop and a brace was welded on to stop flex.

DSCF0066.jpg

The RAD bracket will sit @ the front of the case and draw air thru G5's already perforatted front!..

DSCF0075.jpg

DSCF0076.jpg

With the rear plate as well

DSCF0077.jpg

Rewired the front switch to work as the on off, and 2 new LED's for power and HDD were added behind the mesh

IMG_0146.jpg

IMG_0143.jpg

Next up was to choose the water loop,

2 of the mighty Cathar's G4 blocks are used with a MPC600 pump aDD -nv60 for the GPU and 2 x BIX's with 1/2 clearflex.

DSCF0015.jpg

The RAD bracket after the new brace is added

DSCF0138.jpg

DSCF0140.jpg

DSCF0114.jpg

DSCF0149.jpg

Next is to fit stealth all the wiring and fit the hardware!

IMG_0191.jpg

DSCF0205.jpg

Testing the loop

IMG_0175.jpg

a custom brace is added to support the extra weight added to the 6800u

IMG_0186.jpg

Last but no least is to take the case inside :) matched is monitor perfect

DSCF0227.jpg

IMG_0220.jpg

IMG_0234.jpg

One of the chrome fans died :( so i qik replacement was needed...

IMG_0236.jpg

IMG_0216.jpg

with the "Gang"

IMG_0209.jpg

IMG_0218.jpg

One final touch to finish the job ;)

IMG_0490.jpg

Final Specs are.

Dual 3.2 Xeons @ 3.75 GHZ
Asus PCDL mobo
2 GIG Adata DDR500
2 x SATA 250's Raided
Pioneer 108 dvdr
Gainward 6800u
Audigy sound

Dual Cathar G4 Storm GPU blocks
DD NV-68 GPU block
Swiftech MPC600
PCCG Res
1/2 Clear Flex
Dual BIX Rads

Great Job, very professional looking! Say, what kind of tubing do you have in there? I am asking because I cannot make it from my NV-68 to my NB block without having the tubing kink.

Thanks, and congrats!

Probably the best G5 mod to date IMO. The only negative to me is the loss of those sweet rear fan grills -- too bad you couldnt re-use them, I love those things. Wish I had a few myself.

~Kris

Oh my, this is the worlds hottest G5 mod. I like.

What kind of temperatures are you getting on those Xeons and the 6800?

i like how you filled up all the space inside the case. with most G5 casemods that ive seen people usually use mATX boards to be able to scrounge up some of the back panel, but it ends up leaving a lot of open space inside. with this, the case is being used to its maximum potential and just looks great so filled up. this also has to be my favorite G5 mod. Great Job!

Man that is some absolutely beautiful work! :eek: I wish I had your talent and skills.

this case is awesome... i wish i had one :(

(the duallies or the G5 case, either would be nice)

how heavy is that thing? can you use the built-in handles?
<- add about 6k to that, the numbers are off

Kankykur7 said:
i like how you filled up all the space inside the case. with most G5 casemods that ive seen people usually use mATX boards to be able to scrounge up some of the back panel, but it ends up leaving a lot of open space inside. with this, the case is being used to its maximum potential and just looks great so filled up.

My thoughts exactly. I'm glad someone finally thought this through. A great case deserves a great setup

Very well done! I like how you made sure the outside look of the G5 was more or less untouched, it still has the same awesome look but with a bit more power now! :D

I'd also like to say, good job on routing the tubing, I know in a small amount of space it's hard to do it so it's neat and stays kink-free, so kudos for that!

Nice job on quite a bit of work, although I do think that replacing the side cover with the clear plexi ruins the clean looks of the G5 case. The case looks unfinished with the entire aluminum side off. Someone did a windowed G5 case with a nice curved cornered window that matched the curved on the case. That side, with this mod would probably be the best looking one yet.

Anyway, thats just my personal opinion on the looks. Great work on all the work internally on the chassis and all!

Yea I kinda agree i think it would look better with the side panel on with a window in it if you want people to see in the inside. The only thing about that otherwise I don't like is the power supply and how it is mounted but the case is still one of the best apple mods I've seen with only the rotten apple that was done better.

Thanx very much guys :)

the case has since been retired to the "Great Wall of Shame" thats a pile of cases @ the back of the shed where old cases end up.

The Overclocking Results were always the best ive ever gotten, the 3.2's ran nps @ 3.7+ on the Cathar G4 blocks @ 23-33c the card also ran pretty impressivly @ 455/1205 @ 50 under load.

I May add a window @ some stage, but i like the fact that when the door is on you DONT see what hides inside! and when paired with its new 30" LCD @ a lan it could turn a few heads while playing games..........

I do like rotten apple mod, i actually did one of these mods about 2 yrs ago and thats a pretty good mod.

I personally did,t think the mod was challenging enuf and never bothered to post it! i kinda wish i'd had as rotten apples seems to be a very popular mod now!.

All in all the G3 mod i did was the inspiration to go one step further and make Fusion better and more powerfull than it originally was.

Again thanx guys,

I't was a lot of fun to build.... future plans for a resurrection include chrome cage with black anondised outer shell and possibly a Quadro workstation type setup.

"The Wall of Shame"

IMG_2605.jpg

Defyant said:
Thanx very much guys :)

the case has since been retired to the "Great Wall of Shame" thats a pile of cases @ the back of the shed where old cases end up.

Interested in selling? I was looking at doing a copycat of your case, it would save me a load of time and work.

your "Wall of Shame" is more like "Modding Heaven" to me

sweet mods all the ones that i've seen :) :D

That mod is unbelievable. if only we all were independently wealthy.

Please tell me that the wall of shame doesn't just sit there and rot. They have to be up for sale or something...

cheers guys :)

the G5 mod has never gotten much attention, dont know why :confused: its still if not the best G5 ive seen.

that wall gets a case pulled down off it for modding at least once every 2 -3 weeks :)

the prob is ..... that the wall of modded cases is getting bigger than that wall.

great mod. i bet it was expensive as hell

i've got a g5 case i'm modding. but i'm not changing the mobo orientation. i like it the way it is

great mod. i bet it was expensive as hell

i've got a g5 case i'm modding. but i'm not changing the mobo orientation. i like it the way it is

It is july of 2007, not July of 2005

Back