Foxconn NF4UK8AA-8EKRS - Is this a good A64 Motherboard

vsrdan

Gawd
I just ordered it from a popular on-line vendor. It is somewhat cheaper than comparable other brands but reviews say it is a good one. Does anyone use it? How is it in terms of performance? I know this is little late to ask these questions. I got to know about this forum after I ordered the motherboard.

-Dan

I forgot to tell you .. I am not interested in overclocking the system. I normally don't do that.

it can't change the multiplier but can change the fsb and voltages so you can OC just not as freely as other boards.

i haven't built any of them but i have heard from others that have that their a pretty good mb.

I posted this as a new thread.. please post replies there. Thanks!

Built the system today.

Foxconn motherboard (discusses here)
Athlon 64 Venice 3200+
1 GB PQI Turbo (dual) DDR400 RAM
Radeon X300 256MB by Powercolor
Hitachi Deskstar SATA-2 160GB HDD
Cooler Master Cavelier Case with 350W PSU (came with case)
Windows XP Pro
KDS 15" LCD (from the old system)

Problem:
Everything is OK except a little problem with the display. There are "ripples" going through the screen -diagonally- which disturbs the vision. This is very apparent during start-up. I am trying to figure out what causes this. This problem is not there when the monitor is sttached to the old P III system.

CPU and MB temps. are ALWAYS below 40 C. Runs cool!

Thanks for any suggestions in advance.

Yeah 350W just doesn't cut it anymore ;). Enjoy the new comp.

If you are going to build a system based on Venice, use this motherboard. It is great (I am telling you by experience)! Don't get misled by low price. For overclockers, I don't know if this is a good choice - I don't normally overclock new systems.

When using this - do not install Nvidia firewall (I had problems with that). Get the latest chipset and other drivers (and a BIOS update if you want to) from Foxconn web site.

My question would be::Why would you pay $97.00 for a virtually unknown product and not one that has the potential of OC'ing? When you can get the DFI nF 4 for a $2.00 more investment? I am looking at NewEgg's site for either board. The DFI nF 4 boards are the top of the heap right now. It is up to you if you wish to OC the system or not. The ability to OC just means the components are of a good enough quality to pass this stress test. I know you have already ordered the FoxCom board, but for a measly 2 bucks you could have a DFI nF 4 board. IMO::eek:nly would be the best investment.

Foxconn is NOT an unknown brand and actually the motherboard you mention is $2 less than this one. Asus and many other manufacturers use Foxconn parts in their motherboards.

The DFI motherboard you mention (I assume it is nF4-DAGF) does not support SATA-2. It has Nforce 4 (not Nforce 4 ultra) chipset. 3 PCI slots out of which one is practically unusable due to poor layout when you use PCI-EX slot (Foxconn one has 4 - all usable). This motherboard has the capability of overclocking (FSB and volatges are adjustable).

You may read more here

I am not against DFI, but I thought these feateures are little better to go for a Foxconn this time.

vsrdan said:
Foxconn is NOT an unknown brand and actually the motherboard you mention is $2 less than this one. Asus and many other manufacturers use Foxconn parts in their motherboards.

The DFI motherboard you mention (I assume it is nF4-DAGF) does not support SATA-2. It has Nforce 4 (not Nforce 4 ultra) chipset. 3 PCI slots out of which one is practically unusable due to poor layout when you use PCI-EX slot (Foxconn one has 4 - all usable). This motherboard has the capability of overclocking (FSB and volatges are adjustable).

You may read more here

I am not against DFI, but I thought these feateures are little better to go for a Foxconn this time.
Thank you for changing text color
Ummm who runs this site? They were doing a bechmark comparison against a chaintech board

Foxconn is the registered trade name of Hon Hai Precision Industry Co., Ltd. Hon Hai is a global leader in providing mechanical and electromechanical solutions to the communications, consumer, and computer industries. The world's largest manufacturer of PC connectors and enclosures, Hon Hai is also one of the world's largest manufacturers of cable assemblies and motherboards - 26 million motherboards having been produced in 2003 (second highest volume in the world).

A few of Foxconn's customers include big names like Apple, Cisco, Dell, Nokia, Intel HP/Compaq, and Sony.

vsrdan::Sounds as if you are employed by FoxCom.

I read the reviews of the components on the market.
I am more interested in stability and longivity over OC'ng. OC'ng is very important due to the fact that if a component will OC well, this means to me that the component is built of actually better parts and quality of workmanship than is required.

Take the DFI nF 4 Ultra D.

It retails for $129, this means it would cost you about $30 more to get this board over your choice.

Giving all the quality and supreme workmanship in the DFI product.
Which one would the average person decide on purchasing?

No I am not an employee of FoxCom (or Foxconn) :) The point I wanted to make was that just because something is cheap doesn't mean that it is a bad product. I almost always use Asus boards, but this time I just wanted to try something different/cheap. That's all.

Back