1024mb ram overclocking database

(cf)Eclipse

Freelance Overclocker
Well, in typical eclipse fashion, we have the 1024mb oc'ing thread for those who are considering 1gb sticks and plan to overclock it.

Some things to go over before we get started:

First: All tests MUST be 3 hours memtest stable per 1024mb. I say this because memtest is a ram size dependant thing. 2gb will take 2x as long to make the same number of passes as 1gb at equivilent speeds.
non-DFI users can download memtest, dfi users can just enable the option in the bios.
It is run from dos, before windows loads. if you have a floppy drive, you can install it to a floppy. if not, use a cd-rw and burn the supplied iso to the cd to boot from. just boot and let it run

Second: overclocking ram is a tricky thing. There's a lot of variables, and a lot of time to be wasted trying to tweak the ram for max performance. For this reason, I ask for a very.. complicated post to show everything that that matters, and some things that don't.

• The ram sticks in question. Say what the name of it is, the model number, and if you can read it, what the chips on the ram stick have written on them.
  • The rig used for testing, for reference purposes. The motherboard and cpu are the most important, and is all that's really needed.
  • A screenshot from cpu-z 1.29 of the memory tab. If you cannot read off the chips on the ram stick, also include SPD tab too. (it's important that 1.29 or later is used, not an earlier version)
  • A screenshot of A64tweaker for those of you on an a64 rig. This will let us know all the secondary timings that often have an effect on overclocking.
  • Is it actively cooled? if so, with what?
  • How much voltage is set in the bios?
  • NEW!!!!I now require a superPI 32m shot with the screen to prove stability.. those of you who have already posted.. ust edit the post with a shot ;)

Database of OC's:

nugzo -> 277mhz: 3-3-3 @ 2.7v, 2x1024mb Crucial Ballistix pc4000 Stable = Yes
rise4310 -> 257mhz: 2.5-3-3 @ 2.73v, 2x1024mb Mushkin Blue Stable = Yes
(cf)Eclipse -> 250mhz: 3-3-3 @ 3.0v, 1x1024mb Crucial Value Stable = Yes
n64man120 -> 239mhz: 3-4-3 @ 2.6v, 2x1024mb Crucial Value Stable = Not Yet
mrmodman -> 231mhz: 2.5-3-3 @ 2.7v, 1x1024mb Gigaram GR9053-1GB/400/SA, pc3200 Stable = Not Yet

The good guys over at XS have created something similar, read up for some extra data, thanks to EnJoY:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=67762

Here is a demonstration of what your post should look like when you are requesting an addition to the database. To make things easy for me, i would really really like it if this is followed. reading overclocking epics trying to find useful info for the database is kinda tedious :p

NEW ENTRY

1024mb Crucial Value
CT12864Z40B.16TD2

on the chips:
Code:
0522     2-2
MT   46V64M8
TG     -5B D

System in question:
DFI lanparty NF3-250gb
3700+ newark

Max stable speed shots: (note that I combined cpu-z and a64tweaker into one, and since i have the info from the chips, i don't need an SPD shot in there too)
249.8.PNG

cpu-z validated: http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc?id=27967

Actively cooled with a 120mm fan resting just above the ram.
3.0v is set in the bios (verified by screenshot)

No official shots yet, I'll get some...

2x1GB Sticks seem to top out at 238Mhz at 3-4-3-8 and 2.6V. The ram chips seem to be afraid of extra voltage. Also I'm not sure but I may have to make it 3-4-3-10 for guarenteed stability. Tried 3-3-3-10 and it passed at first but then started to fail.

On their own, both sticks did 255Mhz and 248Mhz, at 3-3-3-8 and 2.8V.

Timings Overclock Data:
170Mhz 2-2-2-6 Stable @ Memtest #5 and #6
201Mhz 2.5-3-2-6 Stable @ Memtest #5 (200Mhz wouldn't boot @ Cas2)

This is what I've gathered so far, I'm going to work for a few hours so I'm going to leave the 2-2-2-6 to run a few loops. Which do you think would serve me better for real use?

;)

i kinda figured that this thread would be useful due to all the people looking for 2gb of ram.. and how 4x512mb doesn't always work as it should, thus the surge in people buying 1gb sticks.. and nobody has any data on them :p

Bah, well all my parts came around noon. Got it built (naked on desk), formatted, and XP Installed. Unfortunatly formatting a 300GB HDD takes quite a while, and I'm only going to have time for a 3D mark bench or 2 now... I've got work in 30 min :rolleyes:

You can expect a thread somewhere in [H] with all my specs, results, pics, and OC data.
I'm currently finding what this stuff can hit on all stock heatsinks (even stock TIM on the A64 cuz i'm lazy!). In a few week's I'll transition to water.

*cough*

i hate being an ass, but can you edit that post to put in your rig, and a shot of the SPD tab in cpu-z since you don't have the stuff off the chips themselves?

I'll have some info once my 1GB stick gets here and I've had time to play with it :D
I had the misfortune to order from newegg right befor the weekend. Also, it just so happens that monday is the 4th of July, so no clue how long its going to take to get here :eek:

Unknown-One said:
I had the misfortune to order from newegg right befor the weekend.
heh, i've done that before.. i wish fedex saver shipped on weekends :p

Well here you go Eclipse. Just to be technical... Crucial Value Ram, no active cooling, stock voltage of 2.6, 510-2 Hellfire Bios, running naked on a desk :p

All secondary timings are stock, primary timings are 3-4-3-8. Making trcd 4 instead of 3 enabled me to overclock from 205Mhz to what we have here.

I'm going to have to get some specs with my 1GB stick, so I can be higher than you and be on top :)

Placeholder for Corsair Twinx2048-3200C2PT which better be on my doorstep when I get home... :p

Initial results: (sorry - too busy to take the time to test at the moment)

does cas2 just fine (corsair rates at 2.5 for AMD) so right now is at 2-3-3-8 208mhz (5/6 of 250mhz htt)

With some quick clocking and 3dmark looping - it does 230mhz at 3-3-3-8
I of course immediately tried the setting I hoped it would work at (240mhz) at 3-3-3-8 but it wouldn't boot. I'll clean this up when the fiance lets me I mean when I get a chance to.

nice rise :D

mind editing that post to say what the ram chips say on them, or a screen of the SPD tab in cpu-z? ;)

gotcha, added another screen. i don't know much about the ram but i know its an infineon chip ending in be-5 that ocz and patriot use as well in some modules.

maybe i'll take off a spreader when i feel brave :p never did that before though.

wow, that's a funny misreport.. i think i understand why you didn't add it in the first place.

either way, that's an impressive overclock for what it is :D

yeah, you didn't think it was odd that it was made in week 255, year 255? with an MFG of "FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF"? :p

lol, i actually didn't even look at it until you said that :D i guess my "noobie" title stands, lol

it is odd. it lists the proper 1 gig module number. that 99139 or whatever it is is mushkins part #. strange days.

no others for the data base yet? its such a sought after upgrade right now, just a bump for some more input.

Well I ordered 2 sticks of the value. Got my 7800GTX in and BF2 is chugging. I guess 1920*1200 all on high is stress on the system. :p: No really but the GTX is almost useless in this game it seems without it. I ended up going with several mediums, same as my x800XL settings, until playability returned. Wasnt looking for just smoother with the same graphics.

ok chris now stop bragging about how your videocard owns ours, and lets see some overclocking info!

Your name is Chris, right? lol

texuspete00 said:
Well I ordered 2 sticks of the value. Got my 7800GTX in and BF2 is chugging. I guess 1920*1200 all on high is stress on the system. :p: No really but the GTX is almost useless in this game it seems without it. I.

youch, what a future when + $500 cards are useless....lol

crucial value 1024x2 245 3-3-3-8 @2.8

memtest: short run stable
pi & prime: unstable :(

lots of work ahead it seems

also.. guys, i need all the stuff i listed to be in one post, not spread out everywhere. use my first entry as a guide ;)

Aonevm said:
crucial value 1024x2 245 3-3-3-8 @2.8

memtest: short run stable
pi & prime: unstable :(

lots of work ahead it seems

I crapped out also @ 245 default V, haven't tried goosing the Vdimm voltage though.

I would try 3448 though. Mine doesn't wanna play @ default V .

BTW I am going by the ballistics specs to ensure stability. but only got as far ddr493 stable

I'm totally stable @ 241 though . I can't figure out what else to do . There are extra instuctions specific to revE cpu's in the bios of the U-D that I cant figure out.

I was doing well also @3 3 8 3 maybe I'll try it and see and goose it abit.

n64man120 said:
ok chris now stop bragging about how your videocard owns ours, and lets see some overclocking info!

Your name is Chris, right? lol

OC results soon man soon! Yep, the name is Chris. I live in CT so I'm hoping my sticks already leving Jersey last night will get here by Friday and I can give results by the weekend. They show a Monday delivery date. :( Hey man little excited about my recent purchases. I'm pissed you didnt recognize I was bragging about my monitor too. WTF! :p

Hey man the hardmilitary server should be up tonight, was supposed to be yesterday.

Guy that posted the 242 err 241.8 link, that ballistix or what? Sorry, I could see someone "going by Ballistix spec" on the unbinned stuff if you were just speaking of voltage tolerances and what not. Probably missed it somwhere else though.

Sorry dudes, forget this isnt a BF2 thread sometimes.... kinda is to a lot of people I assume. :p Gig was adequate for the game but it seems a necessity if you're really pushing the settings.

Back