C:/Recycler Virus Removal Help

Mind sharing problem / solution for future reference??

oldmx

Sure,

To sum things up I had a virus on my computer that Norton couldnt quarantine. It turned out that I deleted the infected file, that was sent to the recycle bin. BUT after you empty your recycle bin there is ANOTHER hidden one on the main root of your C:/. You need to Un-Hide protected system files in order to see this. This "invisible" recycle bin resides in a folder called recycler. While running windows XP under "normal mode" ( versus safemode) Norton cannot delete infected files from this folder. Infact if you look in it under normal mode it will be empty!

So, not remebering about safemode at the time, I couldnt do anything.

I started up in safemode, opened up the recycler folder, and deleted the files. After that I ran another system scan and the virus is now gone.

Hope this helps, sorry if it was a bit difficult to understand I was in a hurry.

PS. Does anyone who is reading this have a problem where NAV2005 will crash, and mysteiously not startup anymore with your computer. This is NOT virus related, it seems like every once and a while a dll file gets misplaced and NAV will no longer run. A reinstall fixes it.

Seems like you are the perfect candidate for FreeAVG, do yourself a favor and get rid of that norton crap ;)

oldmx

Back