Will a screensaver help my LCD?

Not that I am having any problems with my Dell 2005fpw but I cant imagine that the stock Windows screensaver (the Windows Symbol bouncing around on a black background) is really saving my screen.

I downloaded This Set [reallysick.com] and use the "plasma" screensaver.

It basically is a "plasma" of colors going around the screen. Will this help my LCD in anyway or hinder it? I feel that it exercises every pixel with many different colors, which should be good, right?

Anyway, I got these from planetAMD64 so I dont even know if they will work on a non-64 system.

The best screen saver for the life of your monitor is to not use a screen saver. Set the monitor to automatically power itself off via DPMS when your not using it.

ninethreeeleven said:
I feel that it exercises every pixel with many different colors, which should be good, right?

Doesn't work that way. If you want to prolong the life of your monitor, you don't want to exercise the pizels at all, you want them doing nothing as much as possible. Just have your monitor go into sleep mode and skip the screen saver altogether.

Christopher said:
The best screen saver for the life of your monitor is to not use a screen saver. Set the monitor to automatically power itself off via DPMS when your not using it.

QFT!

right now I have it go to sleep after 15 mins, with the screensaver coming on after 5. I guess I will just switch that.

Right now I do have my screensaver set, but thats only for diskdefragmenter purposes, otherwise my monitor is always set to shut of in like 10minites of inactivity.

I have my 2405 set to stand-by after 10 minutes.

Christopher said:

What's DPMS, is that the samething as setting the monitor to go on the stand-by?

ninethreeeleven said:
I feel that it exercises every pixel with many different colors, which should be good, right?

Exercise isnt enough for those badboys. I'd recommend you put them on a sugar restrictive diet as well :D

Gotta go, time to take my pixels for a walk.

/ thread crap

What's DPMS, is that the samething as setting the monitor to go on the stand-by?

DPMS stands for Display Power Management System. Its the protocol that both the video card and the monitor speak to set various power management modes on the monitor.

If you set your monitor to turn off via the power management control panel in windows, then you are using DPMS internally to signal the monitor to power down.

Clipboard011df.jpg

"Screen-savers" are more of a product of old technology. Unlike television, computers will often show the same relatively unchanging image on the screen for long periods of time. Old CRT's would get images "burned" into the screen. After awhile you could see a sort of ghost of the computer's desktop or whatever is usually on the screen sitting on the monitor screen when it was off. The idea of a screensaver was that after some idle time, some kind of moving image would appear to keep the monitor from burning in images (hence the term "screen saver"). Modern CRTs have essentially eliminated this problem, and therefore screensavers these days are more of a novelty thing designed to entertain or some other such thing.

Best thing for your monitor is stand-by as most of the posters here have recommended.

Arkalius said:
Best thing for your monitor is stand-by as most of the posters here have recommended.
Agreed. Screen savers are outdated and lame. Mine's set to just go dark after 15 minutes of inactivity. Hit the space bar (or is it the "any" key :p) and the screen comes back in seconds.

Back