How much life do you see left in Windows XP just after Longhorn is released?

Super Mario

Limp Gawd
Right when Longhorn is first released, how much life do you think Windows XP will have left in it? Do you still think it will live a long time and widely supported for the latest motherboard chipsets and video cards even over 3 years after Longhorn is released?? Or do you think XP will be phased out fast after Longhorn is released.

Here is my take on the issue. I think Windows XP should be kept around a long time after Longhorn is released. When Windows XP was first released, I think there should have been a serious rush to get rid of and completely phase out POS Windows 98/ME. But Windows XP is still a good OS, so it better be supported at least as long as POS Windows 98/ME were after Windows XP was released.

I can't believe to this day that Windows 98/ME are still alive and living when it comes to support for most games and applications. As such, it would be so sad to see XP have support dropped in a hurry for the latest hardware chipsets, video cards, and games when Longhorn is released, where as, support for POS Windows 98/ME should have ceased for the most part within a year after Windows XP was released.

Let me know your take on this.

Well your right XP is a good OS but people said that about 98 and ME before XP came out. When Longhorn comes out I for see XP quickly being phased out and Longhorn becoming the standard.

rcf1987 said:
Well your right XP is a good OS but people said that about 98 and ME before XP came out. When Longhorn comes out I for see XP quickly being phased out and Longhorn becoming the standard.

Um, NO. Windows 98/ME were always a POS and can't even compare to what they were in their time for what XP is in it's time today from when it first came out. Windows 2000 was good OS. Windows XP and 2000 were by far a significant improvement and in my opinion a required upgrade for multi tasking and resource intensive computing!! Windows 98/ME were complete and flat out POS!! They always were and always will be when it comes to resource resource intensive 32-bit computing and multi tasking.

XP is going to be around for quite sometime, even after Longhorn is released. Many of the larger companies don't quickly jump to a new platform, if they have a good handle on the existing one. XP is the standard now, and most business will stick with it because it works. They'll slowly move along to Longhorn, but it will be far from immediate.

djnes said:
XP is going to be around for quite sometime, even after Longhorn is released. Many of the larger companies don't quickly jump to a new platform, if they have a good handle on the existing one. XP is the standard now, and most business will stick with it because it works. They'll slowly move along to Longhorn, but it will be far from immediate.

Yeap. I think XP will be supported for a while, maybe even longer than some of the other OS's. Seems to me that 98/ME/2k/XP all came out relatively close to one another, so the earlier ones were phased out quicker. Its been a little while since we got a new OS, so a lot of people have settled in with XP and like it. They won't want to change right away, especially corporations who just spent butt-loads of money on XP.

When it comes to companies, you should replace 'XP' with '2000' in the question as most companies are still using Win2k and definitely won't upgrade to XP now that Longhorn is so close.

I've heard of many companies that were previously using Windows 2000 that just upgraded to XP. I heard Dymler Chrysler just had a migration project to Windows XP about two months ago, and they offered to hire students for the job at a local university where I live.

Elledan said:
When it comes to companies, you should replace 'XP' with '2000' in the question as most companies are still using Win2k and definitely won't upgrade to XP now that Longhorn is so close.
The recent polls have suggested XP has an overwhelming margin of usage. A quick glance at some of the news coverage surrounding the release of SP2 showed that.

Honestly, who needs Longhorn?
XP does everything the majority of computer users need.. why would you think it would be phased out so soon? It is stable and runs speedily on an entry level pc. I don't see why anyone (other than advanced users) would upgrade. :confused:
Upgrading to Longhorn is surely going to be a pain. There will be loads of hardware and software that won't work with it. I'm not looking forward to the new OS.

tommo said:
XP does everything the majority of computer users need.. why would you think it would be phased out so soon? It is stable and runs speedily on an entry level pc. I don't see why anyone (other than advanced users) would upgrade. :confused:
Upgrading to Longhorn is surely going to be a pain. There will be loads of hardware and software that won't work with it. I'm not looking forward to the new OS.

I agree with you there, and people feeling that way sure do have a point. However, anyone who was running POS Windows 98/ME should have been forced to upgrade to XP, or at least Windows 2000. In NO WAY should someone have been able to make the excuse that they should be able to stick with POS Windows 98/ME for purchasing new hardware and software, and being able to continue and use it on those POS 98/ME operating systems. The same cannot be said about upgrading from XP to Longhorn. XP still deserves to be supported and widely used a really long time after Longhorn is released. POS Windows 98/ME should NEVER have been supported long after XP was released!

Super Mario said:
I agree with you there, and people feeling that way sure do have a point. However, anyone who was running POS Windows 98/ME should have been forced to upgrade to XP, or at least Windows 2000. In NO WAY should someone have been able to make the excuse that they should be able to stick with POS Windows 98/ME for purchasing new hardware and software, and being able to continue and use it on those POS 98/ME operating systems. The same cannot be said about upgrading from XP to Longhorn. XP still deserves to be supported and widely used a really long time after Longhorn is released. POS Windows 98/ME should NEVER have been supported long after XP was released!
In addition to these comments, any corporation who has any value in their data would have required 98/ME users to upgrade a long LONG time ago. Client security is reason enough to get rid of those older OSes in favor of 2000/XP.

I don't know the exact times and numbers but think about this.

Every year more people buy more PCs than the previous year.
XP has been sold on PCs longer than any other OS.

Add those two together and you get a shit load of end users on XP, and that ain't going to change soon.

Phoenix86 said:
I don't know the exact times and numbers but think about this.

Every year more people buy more PCs than the previous year.
XP has been sold on PCs longer than any other OS.

Add those two together and you get a shit load of end users on XP, and that ain't going to change soon.

Since that's the case, Windows XP will have to be supported for a very long time after Longhorn is released, even for the newest motherboard chipsets and video cards.

Although mnay people think of Windows XP SP2 as an entirely new OS from Windows XP pre-SP2. Would you agree on that? Windows XP pre-SP2 is soon going to be phased out.

Well if you remember, Longhorn was intended to be a add-on pack for Windows XP. Then Microsoft decided to make it a completly new operating system. Like it was said before, Windows XP is a great system, and I dont see the transition to Longhorn to take off so fast. For all we know, it can turn out to be a Windows ME all over again. The way I look at it, its Windows XP with a couple new features here and there. Then again that is just me.

Lazy_Moron said:
For all we know, it can turn out to be a Windows ME all over again.
Your absolutely right. There's no guarantee that Longhorn will even be better for the end user than XP is now. ME was a downgrade from 98 SE, so anything is possible.

Good point Phoenix86 now ponder this:

Those people that had 9x OS's had pc's generally P3 and lower (take my mom for example Dell P3 750mhz with 64MB RAM Windows ME)
She REALLY didn't need a new PC, all she needed was 256 RAM and she could have had XP and been golden for "Typical PC Use".

So now she's got a Dell P4 uber box with 512 I don't even know what is in it. She had that P3 Dell for about 5 years. That's pretty darn good! She'll have this P4 for AT LEAST 5 years I figure...

We are reaching the point with the "Typical PC" where the hardware has leveled off and there's not really an issue she is going to have just to "Surf the web and read her email".
I think the biggest problem MOST people are going to have is needing their PC's "reimaged" with a fresh O/S (Windows XP). As all of us know that is a good housekeeping thing to do for our own systems every few months or a year or whatever your timetable is.

XP rules and support for it (from Microsoft) will continue while overall General Public use of it is over 10%.

All my opinion of course.

Super Mario said:
Since that's the case, Windows XP will have to be supported for a very long time after Longhorn is released, even for the newest motherboard chipsets and video cards.

Although mnay people think of Windows XP SP2 as an entirely new OS from Windows XP pre-SP2. Would you agree on that? Windows XP pre-SP2 is soon going to be phased out.
http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifewin
XP will be supported until at least 2011, but technically it's end date is "not available" because it'll depend on when longhorn is shipped.

XPSP2 not considered another OS, though many of the chanes with a new OS were seen with it.

What about XP64? Heck, that doesn't even use XPs core, it uses S2K3. ;)

edit:

Grimmda,

Heck, business can be just as bad. I support several NT4.0 boxes that are running on P-133s.

Im still using Win2k here at work, and 98 on some other computers...SO i think it will stick around for a while.

What about XP64? Heck, that doesn't even use XPs core, it uses S2K3.

I thought Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 used the same core? But one was meant to run as a server, while the other was meant to be used as a workstation??

Anyways, aren't the 64-bit versions of Windows Server 2003 a completely different core from the 32-bit versions of Windows Server 2003?? After all, don't you have to use a completely different core to build a 32-bit OS instead of a 64-bit OS??

I still think that XP won't stay around to much longer after Longhorn at least not in the gaming community with its gaming advantages and all.

rcf1987 said:
I still think that XP won't stay around to much longer after Longhorn at least not in the gaming community with its gaming advantages and all.

What gaming advantages is it going to have? Its going to be bloated like never before and the desktop is going to stress the video card. Do you really want your desktop stressing the video card for a gaming machine?? Heck NO!!

Super Mario said:
What gaming advantages is it going to have? Its going to be bloated like never before and the desktop is going to stress the video card. Do you really want your desktop stressing the video card for a gaming machine?? Heck NO!!
Not to mention leaving time for driver maturity to give the full performance of video cards, etc.

I get the feeling that XP-Home wont stick around as long as XP-Pro, mostly because you can trrade in XP-Pro for XP-64.

Hmm, how is that going to work with Longhorn? will 32-bit and 64-bit versons come in the same box, be sold seperatly, or is there even going to be a 32-bit verson of Longhorn(I hope not)?

tommo said:
XP does everything the majority of computer users need.. why would you think it would be phased out so soon?

I'm honestly not a huge apple fan, but go use OS X for awhile, and then you'll start to figure out what XP can't do. Most users don't want a more advanced feature set, because they don't know they can have it. I personally don't have any plans to fully switch to an alternate OS, but it's amazing what we don't know that we don't have.

Unknown-One said:
I get the feeling that XP-Home wont stick around as long as XP-Pro, mostly because you can trrade in XP-Pro for XP-64.

Hmm, how is that going to work with Longhorn? will 32-bit and 64-bit versons come in the same box, be sold seperatly, or is there even going to be a 32-bit verson of Longhorn(I hope not)?

There will be a 32-bit version of Longhorn mainly because 64-bit offers no real advantage to those who would want 32-bit Longhorn. Gamers and high end graphic artists (3D/CAD, not Photoshop allthough I would guess 8GB of RAM for Photoshop would be rather nice) are the only markets that benefit from 64-bit. Joe Corporate and Granny AOL could care less and don't see any reason to replace their perfectly working Celeron D or Athlon XP.

Also think about this, we've been using 32-bit chips since the Pentium 1 days. Do you realize how many 32-bit systems there are world-wide? To cut out 32-bit support entirely would only cut off a very large market share, a move MS would never consider. Eventually yes MS will release a 64-bit only version of Windows but it won't be Longhorn. Around 2012 or so then 32-bit should have been phased out. Look how long it took before it became standard practice to NOT include ISA slots on motherboards, and those were 16-bit!

Oldie said:
I'm honestly not a huge apple fan, but go use OS X for awhile, and then you'll start to figure out what XP can't do. Most users don't want a more advanced feature set, because they don't know they can have it. I personally don't have any plans to fully switch to an alternate OS, but it's amazing what we don't know that we don't have.

That's interesting..
Maybe I'll use the Mac lab more often when I go back to University :cool:

I have noticed some cool tools just from a couple hours of use - like Sherlock - and the Konfabulator (sp.?). I found similar/equal tools but then found they were not as integrated as they were in MacOS.

after most of the nice features of Longhorn have been cut out (WinFS etc.) I really don't understand why I need a new OS, just to have DRM in HW on my computer?!

rcf1987 said:
How do you know how XP will compare to Longhorn, and what "gaming advantages" are you talking about?
:confused:

Back