How do I make a bootable SD card?

IceDigger

[H]F Junkie
Just curious if it is possible to make a computer boot from an SD card like a floppy or cdrom drive.

machwireless said:
i think its possible but you would need a good size SD card
Why? Floppy disks are quite small but one can still boot from them.

well I would think that depends on ur OS. but i havent seen a computer boot from a floppy since Fred and Wilma got shoes so you might be right.

My Treo boots SD and my digi cam but never tried a PC.

People boot from floppies all the time for bios updates and such. It really isn't all that uncommon.

machwireless said:
well I would think that depends on ur OS. but i havent seen a computer boot from a floppy since Fred and Wilma got shoes so you might be right.
Uh... I had to use a floppy last month to get my latest BIOS update....

... But (if I remember correctly) if your BIOS supports booting from removable drives, you just copy the boot files from a floppy to your SD card. (But I think that works only with USB flash drives... I'll find out tonight....)

tiraides said:
... But (if I remember correctly) if your BIOS supports booting from removable drives, you just copy the boot files from a floppy to your SD card. (But I think that works only with USB flash drives... I'll find out tonight....)
I was wrong...

hungryduck said:
I believe this is the sort of thing you're looking for:
http://www.weethet.nl/english/hardware_bootfromusbstick.php
happy booting.
... but the website works....

I formatted a USB flash drive and an SD card using the instructions from the site... I was able to access the flash drive (using the USB FDD setting in my BIOS) but not the SD card. I'll reformat the SD card later and try again....

I tried again but was unable to make the SD card bootable. Then again, I was using my 7-in-1 internal card reader/floppy combo drive... maybe it might work if you used an external card reader.

... But that was a fun experiment; I ended up with a USB "boot" drive! :D

tiraides said:
I tried again but was unable to make the SD card bootable. Then again, I was using my 7-in-1 internal card reader/floppy combo drive... maybe it might work if you used an external card reader.

... But that was a fun experiment; I ended up with a USB "boot" drive! :D

I've never had any luck getting any of my multiformat card readers to boot any sort of flash media. My USB key worked on the first try, but not the 3 readers I tried. Tried CF and SD in all three readers. What's really annoying though is the fact that I can read the data on the cards in the multiformat readers after I boot from a floppy or my USB key. So I can read the cards just fine in DOS. But I can't boot from them. I really need to look into this some more, it would be really nice to be able to boot from the internal reader using an old 8MB CF card.

I've noticed a few places were people mention that using something like USB-ZIP or USB-HDD might work. I'll have to try that.

^^^ I tried all of the options available (USB FDD, USB CDROM, and USB ZIP/120) in my BIOS, but was unable to make my SD card work in any of them.

im thinkin an SD card acts like a slave drive in that it can store information for use but cannot be made bootable.

if you have any luck, post.

Back