Anyone ever tried a component to VGA adapter?

congrats on aproaching the console on a monitor idea in the proper way. I have no first hand experience with that model, but the reviews on lik-sang are good. A transcoder is the way to go for sure. I say give it a shot and let us know. I would love to toss one of those inline iwth a few of my devices.

i concur, i've seen a decent amount of good feedback about the lik-sang as well.

People have even ripped them apart and tweaked their colors to near perfection (@ lumenlab but it didn't seem easy to mod(?).

i have the vdz3 http://www.vdigi.com/

works great, though all these boxes cannot do 480i, which means anything non progressive scan wont show very well. So your xbox dashboard isnt gonna really show at all, will be distorted and you might be able to make out what your doing, also means the gt4 menus wont be clear, anything other part other than the driving itself will look distored.

I just gave up and got the 2405, but vdigi is great too.

there is a series of keypresses that will convert the dashboard to 480p. I got tired of the screen flickering going into a game and did some web searching. it is something like pressing down on the joysticks in a sequence.

found it...

How to see the Xbox Dashboard on your high definition TV

With the latest update to the Xbox Dashboard available from Xbox Live, you can change the default display mode of the Xbox Dashboard from 480i to 480p. Connect your console to the component inputs of a 480p-capable TV using an Xbox High Definition AV Pack to view the Xbox Dashboard in high definition.

To get the latest Xbox Dashboard

Connect your Xbox to Xbox Live. When you do so, the latest version of Xbox Live, including the Xbox Dashboard is automatically downloaded. If you don't have an Xbox Live account, get one!
To set the Xbox Dashboard to 480p

Connect your Xbox console to the component inputs of a TV that supports 480p with an Xbox High Definition AV Pack.
Start the Xbox console without a disc in the tray to run the Xbox Dashboard.
Note If your Xbox console takes you to the Xbox Live area rather than the Xbox Dashboard main menu, press the B button on the Xbox controller twice to return to the Xbox Dashboard main menu.
From the main menu of the Xbox Dashboard, select Settings.
From the Settings menu, select Video.
From the Video menu, select 480p.
Select Yes to confirm that your TV supports 480p.
Pull and hold both the left and right triggers. While holding the triggers, click (press in) the left and right thumbsticks.
After a brief blank screen, the Xbox Dashboard will display in 480p.
If you want to return to 480i, repeat the controller combination in step 7, or switch your Xbox High Definition AV Pack with another type of AV pack.

Note The opening Xbox animation does not display in 480p, only 480i.

To reset the Xbox Dashboard to 480i

Start the Xbox console without a disc in the tray to run the Xbox Dashboard.
Note If your Xbox console takes you to the Xbox Live area rather than the Xbox Dashboard main menu, press the B button on the Xbox controller twice to return to the Xbox Dashboard main menu.
From the main menu of the Xbox Dashboard, select Settings.
From the Settings menu, select Video.
From the Video menu, select 480p.
Select No to indicate that your TV does not support 480p to reset your Xbox Dashboard to 480i.
If your screen appears blank or scrambled

If your Xbox Dashboard does not display correctly while in 480p, it might be difficult to see the menus to reset your display to 480i.

Connect your Xbox High Definition AV Pack’s green color-coded video output jack (the one marked with the letter Y) to the composite video input of your TV.
Note The composite input on a TV is normally color-coded with yellow.
Proceed to reset your display to 480i as described above.

Great, now does anyone know where I might be able to get one from a brick & mortar store? Those online mail orders from HK are rather inconvinient....

Plus if the image quality kinda sucks for my liking, I don't want to have to eat down $10 shipping each way...

BM stores don't typically carry something like that, but you might find one at a place like Fry's. I think new egg used to sell them. BM stores are going to charge an arm and a leg for one though.

Back