Project: [H]ardcase

sarbz

[H]ard|Gawd
After a few years of modding retail cases, I've decided to build my own from scratch. And because of how much I've enjoyed these forums in the last few months, I've decided on a [H]ard theme for this case.

I've got some sketches laid out, made calls to my friends with cnc routers, and purchased all the hardware & tools needed to complete the job.

Here are some teaser pics of what it will look like when it's finished:

hardcase.jpg

It's only going to be about 13" tall, 14" deep, and 8.5" wide (the rendering above is a bit narrow). It will house a full ATX mobo, DVD+-R/RW, 6600gt, 120gb maxtor, water pump, radiator, a 120mm fan, and my seasonic psu. It's going to be a tight fit, but I've designed it with airflow in mind.

hardcase_open.jpg

hardcase_open2.jpg

hardcase_open3.jpg

the orange boxes represent 120mm fans, the black box in the front is the optical drive, the white box on the bottom front is a harddrive, the large white box next to that is the psu, and the one on top of the psu is my pump. You can also see the motherboard in the background. The agp and pci slots are not in the right spots. I didn't create those to scale.

The top two 120's will be exhausting air. One will be attached to the radiator, one will be free. The only intakes are the three holes in the front bottom, and the holes next to the psu in the rear. The exhaust fans should provide enough pull to keep a good air flow over my hd, video card (which will be water-cooled, but the ram won't), and motherboard.

It's going to feature a vertically mounted optical drive, room ambient intake for the psu (exhausting back into the room, bypassing the case's air completely), and a suspension mounting for the harddrive to cut down on noise.

My major challenge with this project is going to be cable management. I'm planning on sleeving everything and attaching it to the bottom of the case. This should keep most wires out of the way of airflow.

oh...and the power button will be in the back. I want this to look as clean and simple as possible.

Here are some pics of a mock-up I built out of gatorfoam to make sure everything fits perfectly, and to make any last minute adjustments if neccesary.

proto1.jpg

proto2.jpg

for comparison purposes, here it is next to my G5 at work...

proto3.jpg

it's 9" wide, 14" tall, and 13.75" deep.

Here's a motherboard tray from an old case. I cut a few inches off that I didn't need.

mobotray.jpg

Here's the back of an old case that I'm going to use for the back of this case. The i/o opening is too small to fit my motherboard, so I had to cut about a 1/4" out. A standard ATX I/O shield fits perfectly now.

backcut1.jpg

And both parts with their first coat of black paint.

backcut2.jpg

This is why you ALWAYS wear safety goggles when you're cutting!!!!! This cutting wheel snapped and went flying accross the basement.

backcutoops.jpg

More details soon.....

Looks very promosing, you wouldnt happen to have interior sketches would you?

sarbz said:
It's only going to be about 13" tall, 14" deep, and 8.5" wide (the rendering above is a bit narrow). It will house a full ATX mobo, DVD+-R/RW, 6600gt, 120gb maxtor, water pump, radiator, a 120mm fan, and my seasonic psu. It's going to be a tight fit, but I've designed it with airflow in mind.

It's going to feature a vertically mounted optical drive, room ambient intake for the psu (exhausting back into the room, bypassing the case's air completely), and a suspension mounting for the harddrive to cut down on noise.

More details soon.....
Oh come on..... More details soon? Surely you can do better than that :rolleyes:
J/K BTW. Very nice design! I like the idea of refreshing the PS with air... Nice setup in your graphics editor, too! This hould be a cool case, and I like the [H] theme! So you gonna do black and burgandy/red, then?

zeusenergy said:
Oh come on..... More details soon? Surely you can do better than that :rolleyes:

i added some more just for you :p

zeusenergy said:
Very nice design! I like the idea of refreshing the PS with air... Nice setup in your graphics editor, too! This hould be a cool case, and I like the [H] theme! So you gonna do black and burgandy/red, then?

In my experience, small cases tend to feed psu's hot air. If a psu gets hot air, it's less effiecient, and the fan speeds up and creates extra noise. I don't want that. This design will allow the psu to draw air in from the side, and exhaust it out the back.

And yes, all black and red :D

Damn that looks nice. The Black and red with the mesh grillies will look good.

altec said:
Theres no copy right probs here is there?

I wouldn't think so. I'm not selling it or anything. I've seen people use the [H] logo on just about everything.

Besides, I'm building this case to honor [H]ardforums.com :D

Looks great, and I can't wait to see how this thing progresses.

Since you're putting two 120mm fans up top, why not use a dual rad??? If the case is going to indeed be [H], I think double rad/heatercore would be appropriate.

Scroatdog said:
Looks great, and I can't wait to see how this thing progresses.

Since you're putting two 120mm fans up top, why not use a dual rad??? If the case is going to indeed be [H], I think double rad/heatercore would be appropriate.

I think you are right! But my wife won't! She's still bitter over my PSP purchase.

I've got a limited budget, and this isn't a new build. I'm basically using all of the parts from my current system. So no new parts right now.....but......I'm going to cut the exhaust holes so that they will fit 2 120's side by side. It will be dual-rad compatible :D I'll upgrade in the future.

here's what the grills will look like in the front.....red or silver? honeycomb or circles? choices, choices.....

grills.jpg

The Honeycomb Red looks awesome!
But the silver might give it some highlights.

I would go with honeycomb silver.

edit: Don't forget to add some kind of filter behind the intakes to keep dust down.

sarbz said:
made calls to my friends with cnc routers
i officially hate you:p

case looks cool, and congrats on the blessing from kyle:)

one more for red honeycomb.

mwhahaha

red mesh?
red honeycombs if you don't want red mesh.. but red mesh would look awesome.
so far it looks awesome.

Well, here's another vote for red homecomb! It is looking great! I will be following your progress.

mesh is REALLY restricting for airflow IMO (were talking about that cheap mesh that comes on cases like the raidmax 868 right?)

][V][AGIC said:
i think it would look nice silver, or even black, with a red cathode behind it

I'm not going to have room for cathodes. But I was thinking of doing this with strategically placed LEDs....still thinking :)

well whatever you do, its probably gonna be awesome...so...uppdaateeeeee

altec said:
Yeah really i want to see real pictures.

patience......this is a worklog. I've gone from concept to prototype in 5 days. I don't do this full-time :p

I'll post more pics when I get my pieces back from being routed :D

Front page! Sweet! Thanks to the [H]ard folks who are responsible for that! Guess I better get my butt in gear with updates :D

sarbz said:
Front page! Sweet! Thanks to the [H]ard folks who are responsible for that! Guess I better get my butt in gear with updates :D

Awesome! Congrats, man!

sarbz said:
I'm not going to have room for cathodes. But I was thinking of doing this with strategically placed LEDs....still thinking :)

You can get 4" red CCs and put them pretty much anywhere.

This is going to be one sweet mod.... I love the red on black color combo.
and by mesh, I meant MESH.. as in the kind of stuff they use to make window screens... =/ :rolleyes:

I agree with you elite. An actual screen type mesh would look pretty sweet....almost like a speaker grill. But it would also restrict airflow quite a bit. I experimented with some fabric mesh material that I cut off an old backpack pocket. It seemed quite open....but it ended up blocking a LOT of airflow.

well thanks for agreeing anyways, didn't really thing it would get rid of that much airflow..

elite.mafia said:
well thanks for agreeing anyways, didn't really thing it would get rid of that much airflow..

In most cases, it wouldn't. I'm only going to have 2 low-rpm fans exhausting air. And one will be restricted by a radiator. It's important in this instance for as little restriction as possible.

Back