Asus A8N32-SLI Premium

16Valve

n00b
I think I just found my next upgrade.

http://www.digit-life.com/news.html

Not officially announced yet but on paper, it looks good.

"Judging by the information posted at Clubic, ASUS is going to introduce a motherboard supporting 2 x PCI-Express 16x slots providing SLI 32x mode."
"The novelty is to be based on the yet unannounced NVIDIA C51D Northbridge and besides 2 x PCI-Express 16x will offer PCI-Express 4x, 4 x Serial-ATA, Silicon Image Sil3132 RAID, 10 x USB 2.0, 3 x PCI and Marvell Gigabit Ethernet.

"Besides A8N32-SLI Premium, ASUS is also going to introduce the 4th revision of P5NSLI now supporting Pentium Extreme Edition 840 and featuring integrated Wi-Fi and High Definition Audio. "

Any more news about this? They say it'll be out at the end of the month. You'd think there would have been previews if that was the case.

BoB-O TiVo said:
Any more news about this? They say it'll be out at the end of the month. You'd think there would have been previews if that was the case.

*bump*, just in case.

I would like to see more about this as well. It deffinatly looks like the Motherboard I will be getting! <3 Asus

Interesting move. I would imagine many people who just baught the Asus A8N-SLI Premium are going to be miffed about this. I know I am. Ah well, I can't imagine it will really mean much for performance. It would probably allow for the SLIing of the Dual-GPU cards, but seeing as I am not loaded that wouldnt really matter to me.

This better be a real PCIE x4 slot and not the x4/x2 hybrid thing they have on their current Premium model. A pcie x4 slot is all that was stopping me from using an Asus over the DFI board.

Viper87227 said:
Interesting move. I would imagine many people who just baught the Asus A8N-SLI Premium are going to be miffed about this. I know I am. Ah well, I can't imagine it will really mean much for performance. It would probably allow for the SLIing of the Dual-GPU cards, but seeing as I am not loaded that wouldnt really matter to me.

For me, much like USMC, iirc, I want this board to run an x8 PCIe RAID card. This new board will likely not have an "SLI mode". Both slots just run at x16.

BoB

as long as it has a Game/MIDI port like all their otherboards then i'll probably get it, for me thats the clincher between an Asus setup and a DFI.

BoB-O TiVo said:
For me, much like USMC, iirc, I want this board to run an x8 PCIe RAID card. This new board will likely not have an "SLI mode". Both slots just run at x16.

BoB

If you are thinking about the LSI SCSI PCIE raid card their own documentation says it will work fine in an X4 slot which would gives you 1GB/sec bandwidth available in each direction. Plenty of bandwith for a dual channel U320 SCSI card. Other SATA cards may actually behave the same way too.

aug1516 said:
If you are thinking about the LSI SCSI PCIE raid card their own documentation says it will work fine in an X4 slot which would gives you 1GB/sec bandwidth available in each direction. Plenty of bandwith for a dual channel U320 SCSI card. Other SATA cards may actually behave the same way too.

Actually, I'm thinking about the Areca ARC-1120. The problem is that I don't know of a board that actually gives x4 on the x4 slot. If you read the manuals, most of them are x2.

BoB

I know I am thinking about the LSI USCSI 320 RAID PCIe Card. Its Rated at 8x/4x so that works for me. I know It wont use 1GB of Bandwidth, even with 4 - 15K SCSI Drives In Raid 0.

W00t!

BoB-O TiVo said:
Actually, I'm thinking about the Areca ARC-1120. The problem is that I don't know of a board that actually gives x4 on the x4 slot. If you read the manuals, most of them are x2.

BoB

This new board appears to give a full x4 based on the chipset diagram. The current Asus premium board looks like an x4 but only runs at x2, like you said. However the DFI SLI lanparty boards will give full x4 bandwidth to the x4 slot if you set the jumpers on the motherboard that way. This is the only non-server board that I know of with full x4 support.

aug1516 said:
This new board appears to give a full x4 based on the chipset diagram. The current Asus premium board looks like an x4 but only runs at x2, like you said. However the DFI SLI lanparty boards will give full x4 bandwidth to the x4 slot if you set the jumpers on the motherboard that way. This is the only non-server board that I know of with full x4 support.

The last footnote is that these cards are x8 boards. The DFI board will give full x4 in the x4 slot, but it's a *closed-end* slot. Therefore, you can't put the x8 card in. :(

The Asus A8N-E looked promising, but its x4 slot is only x2.

Sigh,
BoB

USMC2Hard4U said:
The ASUS A8N-Premium!! :D

But the premium doesn't have a "AI Selector Card". I also thought we had confirmation (from one of your contacts) that this didn't work?

BoB

USMC2Hard4U said:
The ASUS A8N-Premium!! :D

I knew I'd never seen that before. I always download the manuals. The newest version of the manual leaves the RAID/LAN stuff out.

Double-sigh,
BoB

BoB-O TiVo said:
But the premium doesn't have a "AI Selector Card". I also thought we had confirmation (from one of your contacts) that this didn't work?

BoB
No this works on the Premium. This board is farily new. When I was researching this topic about the Raid cards, this board wasnt out yet. Only the A8N Delux.

This premium Board is much better, espically due to this slot and the Selector (its not a card, but dont thru the IC Chips or whatever between the PCI slots)

BoB-O TiVo said:
I knew I'd never seen that before. I always download the manuals. The newest version of the manual leaves the RAID/LAN stuff out.

Double-sigh,
BoB
yeah, I noticed the downloadable version has no mention of the RAID/LAN stuff

USMC2Hard4U said:
No this works on the Premium. This board is farily new. When I was researching this topic about the Raid cards, this board wasnt out yet. Only the A8N Delux.

This premium Board is much better, espically due to this slot and the Selector (its not a card, but dont thru the IC Chips or whatever between the PCI slots)

Do you know that from experience? The latest version of the manual makes no mention of this.

BoB

BoB-O TiVo said:
The last footnote is that these cards are x8 boards. The DFI board will give full x4 in the x4 slot, but it's a *closed-end* slot. Therefore, you can't put the x8 card in. :(

The Asus A8N-E looked promising, but its x4 slot is only x2.

Sigh,
BoB

I noticed that too but I imagine a little warranty voiding could make that an open ended with no problems.

USMC2Hard4U said:

Bump for confirmation.

BoB

BoB-O TiVo said:

BoB

Should work the same as the Tyan K8WE. Which doesn't have an SLi mode either. It uses 2 x16 PCI-Express sockets with full x16 worth of lanes each.

Sir-Fragalot said:
Should work the same as the Tyan K8WE. Which doesn't have an SLi mode either. It uses 2 x16 PCI-Express sockets with full x16 worth of lanes each.

Yeah, but I want a S939 mobo. So, what's the haps, folks? Will the Premium give us the hook-up?

Hell, it's the end of the month, "will this mobo give us the hookup?" is no longer the question. WHEN will this mobo be available for the possiblity of hooking up?! is the new and improved question. ;)

EnderW said:
yeah, I noticed the downloadable version has no mention of the RAID/LAN stuff

Just a quick FYI...the newest (as of 8/12/2005) shows the second SLI slot can be used for X8 PCIe cards when set to SLI mode. I think I'm just gonna have to try it out.

BoB

Anyone gotten their hands on one of these motherboards?? If so please let me know where I can purchase one.

thanks
Alex

alexstjo said:
Anyone gotten their hands on one of these motherboards?? If so please let me know where I can purchase one.

thanks
Alex
the premium?

i just got one from newegg. great board

edit: nevermind, i guess youre talking about the a8n32-sli :p

Raudulfr said:
They're not out yet... does anybody have a pic of it?

I'd be willing to bet it looks very much if not exactly like the existing A8N-SLi Premium board.

Sir-Fragalot said:
I'd be willing to bet it looks very much if not exactly like the existing A8N-SLi Premium board.

I beg to differ ;) It won't have a heatpipe, it will have a big-ass heatsink on the NB much like Asus' top-of-the-line P4 boards and their Stack Cool 2 "technology" as well. After all it will have a SB and a NB :D No more fans! Glory!

I can't remember where, but I seen a picture of it yesterday. It looks just like the A8N but it's blue.. I theink it's pretty! :)

Kathy

You mean this?
I don't know if it's Asus or just a reference board, but that's a GeForce 6100/6150 motherboard, not the SLI X16 ;)

Either way that is how I picture the Asus A8N32-SLI with dual x16 PCI-E slots of course :p, as I said in my previous post above ;)

Raudulfr said:
You mean this?
I don't know if it's Asus or just a reference board, but that's a GeForce 6100/6150 motherboard, not the SLI X16 ;)

Either way that is how I picture the Asus A8N32-SLI with dual x16 PCI-E slots of course :p, as I said in my previous post above ;)

No, that one is ugly. :D

The one I seen was very pretty, I'll check my history and see if I can find it.

Kathy

I call Asus yesterday asking about a tenative release date fot this board, I was told that it'll be out this month in Taiwan, and the US will get it in a few months.

Raudulfr said:
I beg to differ ;) It won't have a heatpipe, it will have a big-ass heatsink on the NB much like Asus' top-of-the-line P4 boards and their Stack Cool 2 "technology" as well. After all it will have a SB and a NB :D No more fans! Glory!

I guess I was wrong :eek: The GeForce 6150/6100 / nForce430/410 will have conventional heatsinks, these will still have the A8N Premium's heatpipes, new ones though ;)

Behold
1127414988Ba2ppHtyGg_1_3_l.jpg

Back