CCFL's, any color you want.

SarverSystems

Supreme [H]ardness
Here's the long-awaited tutorial, showing how to turn a plain white CCFL into any color you could want.

First, you need to have a plain white CCFL. You'll want to start with a white tube so your colors are true and bright. Here I am starting off with 8 tubes.
CCFL002.jpg

Next you'll need a paper cutter used for scrapbooking or trimming photographs. You get them at any office supply place, craft store, Wal-Mart, Sam's Club, etc...
CCFL003.jpg

Now on to the fun part. Picking the colors. Look on Ebay for Avery Vinyl, or go to a sign shop and beg for some scraps, or if you are in a bind, give me a PM and I'll see what I can come up with for you.
CCFL004.jpg

THe next step is to wrap the tubes. Cut the vinyl (with the cutter) to 1 1/4" X 11 1/8". Measure your tubes for length since some manufacturers are slightly longer or shorter. Then pull the vinyl from the liner, and apply it as straight as possible down the length of the tube. You want to start on the side that won't be shown (the side with the sticky pads) since there will be a very slight overlap where the 2 ends meet. Take it slow, and if you get an air bubble, peel the vinyl back and reapply it. In the end, this is how it should look.
CCFL101.jpg

Please note the blue one was cut a little too short.
CCFL103.jpg

The following images show each color lit sequentially from top to bottom.
CCFL-Red.jpg

CCFL-Orange.jpg

CCFL-Yellow.jpg

CCFL-Blue.jpg

The image below shows a standard set of blue CCFLs next to my modded blue CCFL, as well as a white one (for comarison).
CCFL-All.jpg

CCFL-All1.jpg

And here is what they look like unlit.
CCFL-All3.jpg

So this is how you did the red CCLFs for that red clear case? Pretty cool. :)
Anyone else think that the blue ones look a little "underwhelmed?" They don't look quite as good as the warmer colors IMO. Don't you have an online store? Maybe you should stock alittle of this vinyl. ;)

Blame it on my camera.

Yes, same process for my red acrylic case, although, I used ultra-metallic vinyl for those.

looks cool, but this is the second or third time someone has posted how to do this....the search function of your friend.

your ccl do look very good thouhg

I forgot to mention...

When picking out your colors, make sure there isn't a colored backing on the vinyl. Some colors have a black, white, or silver backing.

very nice, but those white CCFL's are just as expensive as colored ones, so ill go with the flow and just buy em. Nice though :p

This, this is dead sexy. I've been looking for a way to tone down the ungodly brightness of most CCFLs without screwing the color, and this is perfect!

interesting concept... could lead to people putting logos on CCFLs, or things like 5-tone CCFLs... hm...

The idea of putting designs (tattoos) on the vinyl had already crossed my mind. The problem is getting them centered on the tube. Unless the design was wrapped all the way around the bulb, like a spiral or stripes or soemthing, it's near impossible to get it to look right.

Redcc said:
very nice, but those white CCFL's are just as expensive as colored ones, so ill go with the flow and just buy em. Nice though :p

Go buy "red" ccfls, you will be back to this thread :p

good guide i used cellophane way back to get my red cathode to do a super deep red

Very nice. I'll have to talk to my vinyl guy about those translucent colors! Prepare for a part 2 of this thread soon!!!

let me know if you have any questions....I work for a sign supply wholesaler (the one in the link above) ;)

Cool-Cases-USA.com has good prices on white ccfl dual kits and they have 15" white also. Look HERE

Nice guide, I have been trying to find this vinyl around where I live (Detroit, Michigan) and can't find anything, I tried the local craft stores and I don't know of any sign shops around any idea if any major store sells this vinyl?

sabrewolf732 said:
Go buy "red" ccfls, you will be back to this thread :p

Was thinking the very same thing. :p

Something I've been wondering ... how do the colors with this Vinyl technique compare to the
painted method?

Painted method? Hmmm. I would assume that the paint would fade over time. That, and I can't imagine getting even color on a rounded surface like that. I dunno, never tried painting them.

Was reading a guide somewhere in the forums recently where they got pretty good results
painting white CCFL's with candy model paint. A whole range of colors.
Will post it here if I can remember where it was.

IMO, the actual cathodes seemed to look better than the modded ones, but this is a great guide nonetheless and I could see where it'd be useful (for unique colors/designs). I'm awaiting the results of how things look with the vinyl sarbz suggested... it sounds like it would be more appropriate for this application.

Slightly off-topic question, but are there other techniques for getting a "unique" CCFL? I saw a thread about sanding down a waterblock so it gives off a different light, and I also wondered how a fogged acrylic spraypaint (I think that's what it is) would work on such lights. Could you do this sort of stuff with CCFL's too? I don't have the CCFL's or the money to experiment too much, and the one I have just died!

Oh and if anyone has something to add about different techniques for CCFL's, feel free to create a new topic. I didn't cause all I have are dumb questions
smile.gif

Something I've tried before...

Take the CCFLs out of their plexiglass tubing...

Make some super concentrated RIT dye solution... About 1 gallon of water to a FULL package of the colour of your choosing...

Place the CCFL tube in the dye...

Put the solution in the oven on about 200'f (no more or else your tubes will warp) and keep refilling/stirring the solution every hour.

In about a day you can get 10-20 deep coloured cathodes!

Back