Tips for installing Aqua Computer Aquatubes

Top Nurse

Supreme [H]ardness
Since people other than Aqua Computer users are using these reservoirs I thought it might be nice to have a thread for Aquatube tips. :cool:

My TN-Tips:

If you are putting your Aquatube into an AquaBay then it should be obvious how it all goes together. This tip is for those who want to drill their case to install it.

As always you want to get all your tools assembled before doing this so there are no late night trips to Home Depot. What you will need is an 3/8" electric drill, an 79mm hole saw (3 1/8") that you can obtain from McMaster Carr. The arbor for it, purchased separately, also usually comes with a stub drill. The arbor I got is not for 79mm hole saws so if you go this route you will need to buy the extra adapter. This works out in the long run as you won't have to go searching around late at night for the arbor for smaller hole saws. You will also need about a 1/8 drill bit to be used as a starter hole for the bigger drill. While this is optional I also suggest you get a piece of thin (approx 1/16) sheet metal of an appropriate size (see text for details). You will of course need your mount plate screws and nuts that came in the package or you may opt to drill and tap your screw holes.

Okay the first thing to do is to carefully plan where you are going to drill. An old carpenter's adage will serve you well: Measure twice and cut once :D

Okay you know where you want the Aquatube right? First thing you do is toss the template it came with because you won't be needing it. Next you want to take some of the blue painters masking tape and completely cover the area where you are planning to drill. At this point I would recommend you then lay your piece of thin sheet metal down and hold it in place with your choice of clamps. Deep throat C-Clamps work good for this. You will use the Aquatube mounting plate itself for a template. You can use a dial calipers to center the mounting plate if your as anal as me about measurements or you can just eye-ball it with a ruler. Once you are centered you will use a pen or pencil to trace the hole onto the blue tape.

Next you will find the center however you wish. Now use the 1/8" drill bit to drill a small pilot hole in the center of your circle. Make sure you have that extra piece of sheet metal clamped tightly, because now you will use the 80mm hole saw. The reason you put the piece of sheet metal above your case is so you don't accidently mar your case when you pull the drill up. This seems to more happen when you are drilling inside the case though. Some people drill through, stop, and lossen the chuck and remove the hole saw from the bottom. Do what ever feels comfortable, but people often instinctively hit the trigger when coming out of the hole so be forewarned if you don't use the extra sheet metal.

Now that you have the hole drilled you will want to clean the edges with a round swiss needle file after you take out the piece of sheet metal (if you used one). Don't remove the blue tape yet that you afixed to the case originally. You are not looking to remove anything besides the metal burr so you don't cut yourself or scratch your Aquatube. Now you will assemble the Aquatube to the mount. The mount goes on the top and the Aquatube underneath the metal plate. It should be almost a perfect fit. Now that you have the Aquatube and mount screwed together you will locate it in the position you want. Again a carpenters square, ruler, or dial caliper will be helpful in aligning the plate if you want everything sitting at right angles to the case. Once it is situated where you want it you will then take some more blue masking tape and tape the plate down on the four edges.

Now comes the fun part. Here you need to make a decision as to whether you want to use bolts and nuts or just bolts and tap your holes. The four holes that the Aquatube mounting plate attaches with are for 4mm Metric bolts. If you are going to tap your case skip to the next paragraph. If you decide to use bolts and nuts then just follow the same procedure in the next paragraph, but omit the taping sequence and you wil use a drill that will clear the screws you are using. I should mention that even though tapping the case may seem a little daunting it is a lot easier than trying to get a little nut and washer to where you need to get it. The easier simple way is to tap. ;)

I used 8-32 stainless steel Button Head socket cap screws instead. You will do one hole at a time. So I drilled the holes with a # 29 drill which is a tap drill. You can also use a 1/8 drill bit if push comes to shove. Then you get out a 8-32 plug tap and using a T-handle tap wrench you tap the first hole. Clean out with some compressed air and gently screw in your 8-32 screw. Remember this is aluminum so just make it snug! Now make sure that you are correctly aligned amd drill and tap another hole on the opposite side of the mount at the other end of the plate. Once you have done these two and have your screws in you can just drill all the holes and tap them in whatever manner you wish.

Clean off all your metal chips with compressed air, admire your work, and take a pic! :D

I just wanted to add that if you are drilling holes for Aquatubes in a Lian-Li V-xxxx series case or similar ones who have a middle compartment floor you should make sure you use a horizontal drill. It makes it a lot easier as a regular drill and holesaw is almost to long to fit in these kinds of cases.

Anyone else got tips? Lets hear them. :D

Back